Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Vibration in driveline

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration in driveline

Couple months ago, my aluminum driveshaft crapped out in my car. The weld broke on the rear diff side.

So I put a new steel one in out of a salvage yard, and I started having vibration at 40 MPH and up. After a while I decided that wasn't gonna fly, and I got another driveshaft from another yard...and now the vibration is even worse!

What the f***?
Old 12-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Whats up man I feel you I've been trying to figure my vibe out for like 6months!
I wont post my whole story but I've posted other threads... basicaly same situation except mine twisted when the rear end blew so i had my whole driveline to look at for the vibration...
I may have just figured it out yesterday... I also replaced mine with a stock ds from a salvage yard had it ballanced it was perfect still have bad vibe 50mph and worse as you go faster. Well i started looking into everything else, flexplate/converter/tranny ect. well I broke the trans last week and the shop checked out everything else and said the tranny's not the problem. then they noticed that there's about 2 1/4" gap from the tailhouse to the flange on the DS slip yoke. This gap according to sponsers should be no more than 3/4" - 1" gap before the flange bottoms out on the transmission.
I will have a new longer one in by wed next week so i'll let you know if that does it but check yours and see if there's a 2" gap or more...
Old 12-12-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Straight out of the junk yard? Check the u-joints... or the balance?How did the original driveshaft break could of it damaged the yoke or pinion?
Old 12-14-2008, 03:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CTSmechanic
Straight out of the junk yard? Check the u-joints... or the balance?How did the original driveshaft break could of it damaged the yoke or pinion?
The original shaft broke at the rear diff end, the weld broke, and it wasn't under a lot of stress at all, I was pulling out from my driveway. I guess it was just its time to go.

The u-joints are brand new in the salvage yard shaft. Is it possible I just got two unbalanced driveshafts in a row? I thought they came balanced from the factory...

Plus, another difference is that these shafts are steel as opposed to my aluminum one...but will that make any difference?
Old 12-14-2008, 04:37 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Steel driveshafts do tend to transfer more vibrations through them than aluminum driveshafts do. You might first try another alum driveshaft. Bob
Old 12-14-2008, 10:56 PM
TECH Junkie

did you bring it to a shop to get balanced ? maybe the weights came off. or tires
Old 12-15-2008, 08:46 AM
11 Second Club

Check the lenght as stated above. My driveshaft was a fuzz to short and caused all sorts of vibrations.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

I just got my drive shaft balance and they also replaced 1 U joint $50. not bad.