Rear Differential Oil Change Question - LS1TECH

Log In 


Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear Differential Oil Change Question

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-2009, 03:04 AM   #1
Launching!
Thread Starter
 
M-ManLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sylmar, California
Posts: 208
Exclamation Rear Differential Oil Change Question

Ok I will attempt to change my rear diff oil this weekend. Here is a list I had compiled. Let me know if I am missing anything.

75w-90 Synthetic Gear Lubricant
New Camaro 10 bolt Gasket
Brake Cleaner

Now I know someone says to use brake cleaner, but what do I have to clean? Also any suggestions will be appreciated.
M-ManLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
Teching In
iTrader: (2)
 
LS1Aggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 46
Default

That should be all you need to complete this job. You can use the brake cleaner to clean out the housing. There will be grime and metal shavings present. Especially if it has never been changed before. Its really easy to do. Clean off the magnet on the cover when you have it apart as well. Make sure you clean the area where the gasket makes contact really well to avoid leaks in the future.
LS1Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:26 PM   #3
On The Tree
iTrader: (2)
 
07gsxr750's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 147
Default

save ur money and use reg. gear oil, ask any pro diff builder and they will tell u the same, dont forget the gm limited slip additive, and yes use the gm stuff, not the cheap auto parts stuff.
07gsxr750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:52 PM   #4
TECH Addict
iTrader: (31)
 
sroach20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: houston, Texas
Posts: 2,324
Default

i always put a small bead of silicone on both sides of the gasket to be safe. i buy the ford additive, it is bad *** stuff.
sroach20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:49 PM   #5
TECH Resident
iTrader: (3)
 
Bad_tx_Z28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: St Petersburg Florida
Posts: 829
Default

how many quarts will the 10 bolt hold?
Bad_tx_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:36 AM   #6
Launching!
Thread Starter
 
M-ManLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sylmar, California
Posts: 208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1Aggie View Post
That should be all you need to complete this job. You can use the brake cleaner to clean out the housing. There will be grime and metal shavings present. Especially if it has never been changed before. Its really easy to do. Clean off the magnet on the cover when you have it apart as well. Make sure you clean the area where the gasket makes contact really well to avoid leaks in the future.
Ok thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07gsxr750 View Post
save ur money and use reg. gear oil, ask any pro diff builder and they will tell u the same, dont forget the gm limited slip additive, and yes use the gm stuff, not the cheap auto parts stuff.
I have heard this from others. GM does recommend the Synthetic, but I hear a lot of people uses the regular gear oil. I have some in my garage already. And how much is the GM additive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroach20 View Post
i always put a small bead of silicone on both sides of the gasket to be safe. i buy the ford additive, it is bad *** stuff.
What type and brand of silicone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_tx_Z28 View Post
how many quarts will the 10 bolt hold?
1.75 qts.
M-ManLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:11 AM   #7
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (90)
 
01ssreda4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Turnin' Wrenches Infractions: 005
Posts: 21,495
Default

i always use the red permatex and have never had a problem. keep in mind if you have a torsen posi, it is an all gear driven posi and doesn't require the additive. the auburns in 98 do require it because they have clutches.
01ssreda4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:19 AM   #8
TECH Resident
iTrader: (3)
 
Bad_tx_Z28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: St Petersburg Florida
Posts: 829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01ssreda4 View Post
i always use the red permatex and have never had a problem. keep in mind if you have a torsen posi, it is an all gear driven posi and doesn't require the additive. the auburns in 98 do require it because they have clutches.
my car came with 2.73's from the factory, would it have a torsen or auburn?
Sorry OP i dont mean to
Bad_tx_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:14 AM   #9
Launching!
Thread Starter
 
M-ManLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sylmar, California
Posts: 208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01ssreda4 View Post
i always use the red permatex and have never had a problem. keep in mind if you have a torsen posi, it is an all gear driven posi and doesn't require the additive. the auburns in 98 do require it because they have clutches.
How would I tell. I have a 2000 V6 model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_tx_Z28 View Post
my car came with 2.73's from the factory, would it have a torsen or auburn?
Sorry OP i dont mean to
No worries. Any question is good for a problem. That is what the forums are for right?
M-ManLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:21 AM   #10
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (90)
 
01ssreda4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Turnin' Wrenches Infractions: 005
Posts: 21,495
Default

i believe 99 and up came with torsens and do not require the friction modifier ( posi additive) if yours is a stock v6 rear end then you shouldnt need it at all bc i dont think any of them had the posi-trac.

bad tx: you need to search around and see if your car came with the torsen, i think they had a different posi for the 3rd gens so thats why i say try to search it.
01ssreda4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:03 AM   #11
TECH Resident
iTrader: (3)
 
Bad_tx_Z28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: St Petersburg Florida
Posts: 829
Default

^^ thanks, i'll try and do a little research
Bad_tx_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:26 AM   #12
Launching!
Thread Starter
 
M-ManLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sylmar, California
Posts: 208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01ssreda4 View Post
i believe 99 and up came with torsens and do not require the friction modifier ( posi additive) if yours is a stock v6 rear end then you shouldnt need it at all bc i dont think any of them had the posi-trac.

bad tx: you need to search around and see if your car came with the torsen, i think they had a different posi for the 3rd gens so thats why i say try to search it.
Sweet. More money in my pocket.
M-ManLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:01 PM   #13
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
SOMbitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,889
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01ssreda4 View Post
i , i think they had a different posi for the 3rd gens so thats why i say try to search it.

Me and a buddy changed our fluid out last weekend and his 3rd gen IROC had a 7.75" and a locker..... Surprise to me
SOMbitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:24 AM   #14
Launching!
Thread Starter
 
M-ManLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sylmar, California
Posts: 208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMbitch View Post
Me and a buddy changed our fluid out last weekend and his 3rd gen IROC had a 7.75" and a locker..... Surprise to me
lol funny
M-ManLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GM Top Engine Cleaner vs. Seafoam vs. ??? Rare96LT1Formula General Maintenance & Repairs 40 01-28-2014 10:04 AM
brake cleaner tube in oil pan dobbs187 Conversions & Hybrids 22 04-04-2013 08:14 PM
Why does the map sensor drastically change at idle? LIL SS PCM Diagnostics & Tuning 13 07-01-2012 01:06 PM
Engine Flush Silver6sp Generation III Internal Engine 2 01-03-2004 01:01 AM
Can someone TOTALLY explain GM top engine cleaner kilawhite98 Generation III External Engine 1 02-09-2003 02:41 PM


Tags
10, bad, bolt, brake, change, changing, cleaner, diff, differential, gear, moser, oil, posi, rear, witch

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27 PM.