Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Replaced axle bearings, now the howl is back

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Replaced axle bearings, now the howl is back

I had a howling while on the highway so I replaced the axle bearings and seals. The driver side axle was also chewed up so I replaced it as well. Put it all back together, and what a difference, it was quiet again!

But... it didn't last. Now I am hearing a howling yet again, after only a few hundred miles. It is a little different now than before though. It used to just be speed dependent, the faster I went the louder it got. Now it is the loudest when I am accelerating or climbing a hill, and it gets fairly quiet when coasting (though it is still there to an extent).

Could this just be a dud bearing? Or could it be from something else in the drivetrain? The car has almost 125k on it right now, though I have a suspicion the rear may have been rebuilt at one point (c-clamps are gold colored possibly from heat and the little bolt on the carrier had a good wear mark on it, but the gears don't look like they have 125k on them at all).
Old 08-11-2009, 08:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Too loose of a bearing preload?
You should have to dead blow hammer the carrier into the housing.

If its louder on one side, sounds like gear setup to me. When you replace the carrier bearings, you have to check the patterns cause they will move. Sounds like backlash has changed from what you described.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

I didn't replace the carrier bearings. Just the axle shaft bearings. I left the differential itself and all that stuff in there alone (I wasn't about to touch them, that is above my head).
Old 08-11-2009, 05:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

sound like the axle shaft may have to much of a groove in it and might have to go with an offset bearing to get it away from the groove they sell them and local parts store.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whoops next time I will better read the thread.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 11SECSS
sound like the axle shaft may have to much of a groove in it and might have to go with an offset bearing to get it away from the groove they sell them and local parts store.
I replaced the axle on the driver side that was all chewed up. Passenger side one had no groove and looked good, about the same as the replacement I put in the driver side.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe some metal shaving got in you rear and tore some more bearings up?
Old 08-11-2009, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If his rear is stioll turning I dont think the shavings would be large enough to arm the axle bearings. Posi units with clutches require shavings. 11secss may be correct. you axles could be worn slam out. You use your car as a truck?
Old 08-11-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ahhwataday
If his rear is stioll turning I dont think the shavings would be large enough to arm the axle bearings. Posi units with clutches require shavings. 11secss may be correct. you axles could be worn slam out. You use your car as a truck?
OK so you saying that metal from the other bearing and axle cant ruin a race or bearing surface I bet you wouldn't allow that inside your motor
Old 08-12-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It can harm it but im sure he doesnt have super huge chunks floating around in ther either. Posi units with cluthes require metel deposits (friction modifier)to allow the clutches to grab. I would never put the friction modifier in my engine lol. whole nother concept. small amounts of worn parts in the rear is fine untill is wears so thin it breaks or increases the viscosity of the gear oil
Old 08-12-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

It can harm it but im sure he doesnt have super huge chunks floating around in ther either. Posi units with cluthes require metel deposits (friction modifier)to allow the clutches to grab. I would never put the friction modifier in my engine lol. whole nother concept. small amounts of worn parts in the rear is fine untill is wears so thin it breaks or increases the viscosity of the gear oil
Oh whatever but I'm pretty sure you've never built a rear (so to the op clean your **** up good!!)
Old 08-14-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

When I changed the axle shaft bearings, I swabbed the axle housings out good, and cleaned out the pumpkin. There was only a slight bit of fuzz on the cover magnet.

Like I said earlier, the axle that was shot was replaced, and the other axle had no grooves or pitting.

If it is a carrier bearing I'm gonna and maybe upgrade the whole darn thing to a Torsen unit. Except, I've never done anything with a differential or set up gears or anything. Wonder if my friend has.

*off topic* ahhwataday, your car in your sig looks great!
Old 08-16-2009, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey man you can replace the Carrier bearing with no problems. But if it is required than you may want to freshen the entire rear. Well the carrier and pinion atleast. If you do, you will need some specialty tools. You can get them off ebay for around $100 or firends. Its pretty simple really. O1ssreda4 knows his shiit and has helped me a bit. If you got guts do it haha Ill help you out.

May want to change units and gears

*Thanks for the sig comliment. She is sold now im building the Rear for the Black Camaro

Originally Posted by 98silvertacrbn
Oh whatever but I'm pretty sure you've never built a rear (so to the op clean your **** up good!!)
hahaha I have built rears. "oh whatever", stop actin like a baby. We are all here to help and learn. Ive got a 10 bolt im workin on now (and a 9 inch and 8.8). Look on here I even posted a question
Old 08-16-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ya sounds like your building it! we all need help but you come off like you know its the axle and that's the only problem. oh and by the way you quoted me first! you could have kept your opinion to your self but no
Old 08-17-2009, 07:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hey man you can replace the Carrier bearing with no problems. But if it is required than you may want to freshen the entire rear. Well the carrier and pinion atleast. If you do, you will need some specialty tools. You can get them off ebay for around $100 or firends. Its pretty simple really. O1ssreda4 knows his shiit and has helped me a bit. If you got guts do it haha Ill help you out.

May want to change units and gears

*Thanks for the sig comliment. She is sold now im building the Rear for the Black Camaro
Well yeah but I'm thinking if I go in there why not get rid of the open differential and series 2 3.08 gears and go to series 3 torsen with 3.42 gears? Might as well while I'm doing all that, money-permitting. But it may be a while before all this because of money
If I do it maybe I'll replace the axle bearings and seals again for good measure. They're cheap enough.

What rear you putting in the black Camaro?
Old 08-18-2009, 12:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You have a 3.08??? You have a V6 or Z? A4 or M5 or 6. If you have an auto i would say go to 3.73 or 4.11. If a straight drive v6 go 4.11, straight drive with an ls1 I would reccomend 3.73. Yes of course you can go with higher or lower but I find these ratios to be pretty safe. with these cars. Also recommend a rearend girdle. TA, SUMMIT, JEGS, few others. Just a little extra protection.

Im putting the 10 bolt in the black one. I wanna do what cant be dont. "keep it alive"
hahaha. my tires will spin before i break a properly built rearend.

Ya sounds like your building it! we all need help but you come off like you know its the axle and that's the only problem. oh and by the way you quoted me first! you could have kept your opinion to your self but no
lol whatever homie. I said, "I DONT THINK THE SHAVING....". This would mean that your explaination could be true. I didnt say "you are wrong, please dont post in here you stupid idiot" lol.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah 3.08 open diff on my V6, currently A4 but will probably end up manual, either T5 or perhaps T56 (watching a thread on FTV6 where someone is gonna do that, curious how it turns out). Turning this car into a project with a turbo setup and supporting engine mods. But that won't happen for a while. Future project!
Old 08-18-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

lol whatever homie. I said, "I DONT THINK THE SHAVING....". This would mean that your explaination could be true. I didnt say "you are wrong, please dont post in here you stupid idiot" lol.[/QUOTE]

First off im not your HOMIE and look who's calling me stupid whatever your a tool
Old 08-18-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

First off im not your HOMIE and look who's calling me stupid whatever your a tool
Let it go please, I'm getting tired of you crapping the thread.

Last edited by SparkyJJO; 08-18-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wait till you get a turbo. If you are gonna race stay auto, fun on the street and turbo get the t-56. T56 with the stock v6 will be rough. On the highway You will be goin from back and forth from 6th to 5th.

With your future plans I would say get a 3.73 or save a few bucks and get 3.42. Me personally, 3.73. But ists up to you. Keep an eye on ebay and craigslist for a posi unit. You can go to 2 series and get everything sheaper too. You could find the ring pinion and carrier.

98SILVERTACRBN: No one here has called you stupid. PLease stop crying in my inbox as well as here. If you wanna talk cars, Cool. If you want to cry, please dont do it online.

Quick Reply: Replaced axle bearings, now the howl is back