Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What's the deal with 8.8 rearend?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question What's the deal with 8.8 rearend?

Hey guys, I just saw someone with 8.8 in their sig. What is required to get a mustang 8.8 in our fbody's? I work at a ford dealer, so I believe that would be much cheaper than a 12 bolt. Thanks for any help. I apologize ahead if I've been in the dark, but haven't seen it posted yet.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:24 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It requires a jig, perfect measurements, an 8.8 housing, custom built axles, and 10 bolt axle tubes.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:00 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

See sticky
Old 12-02-2003, 05:34 AM
TECH Addict

Any idea how much less than $2300 it would be?
Old 12-02-2003, 10:10 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

The site that had it advertised was about $2000
Old 12-02-2003, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Forget that idea. Now I know.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

the price ranges. from about $1500 and up.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Try.....

www.Extremechassis.com

they should be able to help ya out.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bye bye flyinZ
Old 12-03-2003, 06:24 AM
TECH Addict

what....
Old 12-03-2003, 09:11 AM
Launching!

Non sponsored link...it's gonna get yoinked
Old 12-03-2003, 10:41 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Here is our new approach for this week.

We in no way endorse Extreme Chassis, they are not a sponsor and felt that our monthly rates were too expensive. Obviously about 60 companies don't think that's the case. If a shop can't spend just a bit over $100 a month to advertise then times might be tight. In my experience if a company has to have a guy PM folks off our site to get business then and not just pay a monthly fee, then I'm not too comfortable because if one of you guys has a problem with them you have no recourse through us or any other site. To me that is too risky when you are talking about a purchase that will be over $1500. We are at a point with web commerce on our site that we will contact sponsors on your behalf to address problems. Either way it's a concern especially when they are trying to siphon off business from companies that are actively supporting our site, and frankly our scene by working with us. So if you see us e-pimp Strange or Moser, it's because our advertisers carry those products. Maybe Craig from Extreme Chassis thinks that the internet fairy just gives us a server and bandwidth out of the goodness of her little heart. We have been growing so fast we are going to dual servers as of January 1st. We have switched message board software TWICE. We have a systems guy on staff to work on the site 24-7. We have used outside consultants do specialized programming for us. So if I seem salty about these guys, I just don't get it. We do all of this not so some guy can try sell stuff on here without helping us out. Not cool.

Everytime someone does a motor or another high dollar purchase with a shop that doesn't advertise on any of the big five sites I really think you are taking chances. While this site is only two years old the staff has been active in this scene since the fall of 1997. That's six years of using shops and six years of knowing who to avoid in corner of cyberspace. So buyer beware. Folks contact me all the time asking me how to go after these little podunk shops that they used for a big purchase.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Here is our new approach for this week.

We in no way endorse Extreme Chassis, they are not a sponsor and felt that our monthly rates were too expensive. Obviously about 60 companies don't think that's the case. If a shop can't spend just a bit over $100 a month to advertise then times might be tight. In my experience if a company has to have a guy PM folks off our site to get business then and not just pay a monthly fee, then I'm not too comfortable because if one of you guys has a problem with them you have no recourse through us or any other site. To me that is too risky when you are talking about a purchase that will be over $1500. We are at a point with web commerce on our site that we will contact sponsors on your behalf to address problems. Either way it's a concern especially when they are trying to siphon off business from companies that are actively supporting our site, and frankly our scene by working with us. So if you see us e-pimp Strange or Moser, it's because our advertisers carry those products. Maybe Craig from Extreme Chassis thinks that the internet fairy just gives us a server and bandwidth out of the goodness of her little heart. We have been growing so fast we are going to dual servers as of January 1st. We have switched message board software TWICE. We have a systems guy on staff to work on the site 24-7. We have used outside consultants do specialized programming for us. So if I seem salty about these guys, I just don't get it. We do all of this not so some guy can try sell stuff on here without helping us out. Not cool.

Everytime someone does a motor or another high dollar purchase with a shop that doesn't advertise on any of the big five sites I really think you are taking chances. While this site is only two years old the staff has been active in this scene since the fall of 1997. That's six years of using shops and six years of knowing who to avoid in corner of cyberspace. So buyer beware. Folks contact me all the time asking me how to go after these little podunk shops that they used for a big purchase.

i agree with this 100%, and i do 99.9999% of my business with sponsors of this board, and i think its great how the admins of this board will talk to sponsors regarding problems customers may have

my only difference of opinion is this:

strange and moser have an overpriced monopoly on the rear ends for these cars. i, as well as many, am i desparate need of one, but dont have 2300 to shell out. i think it is wrong and unfair to the members of this board to limit the amount of exposure and person or product can recieve, just because the do competition with strange or moser (who arent sponsors in the first place, only make products sold by sponsors). craig makes an less expensive alternative to the rediculously priced rear ends on the market now and it is not right to limit what can be said regarding his product just because he doesnt want to pay sponsor dues, when his product may be of great benefit to many many members of the board, who are the real people who keep the scene alive (how would shootouts go if sponsors paid for them but no one came to race)

did the guy making cheaper valve spring compressors pay 100 bucks a month to be able to sell them here, i dont know but i dont see his name on the right side of the screen. these compressors go in direct competion with companies that sell the more performance valve spring tool and the sdpc one. even you pro stock john, created threads supporting this product. what is the difference here (besides the fact the extremechassis isnt on here promoting their product, only satisfied customers), it is a less expensive alternative to products offered elsewhere and helps the members of the board.

(if Larry did/does pay sponsor dues, please disregard last paragraph)

there, those are my opinions

Last edited by Tally TransAm; 12-03-2003 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

I gotcha now...Sorry, didn't know that was the rules.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

So what is the bottom line, we can talk freely about the 8.8 and people can feel free to refer others to non-sponser websites who offer a product no one else does or they cant.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

i agree with john completely, running a web site isn't free, people pay for time to run commercials on T.V. and to put thier posters up on billboards, why should some people have to pay toadvertise here when other(s) dont?
on the other hand i agree that strange and moser are basically monopolies and a cheaper alternative is always good but what happens if the sponsors who carry their rears decide they dont like competing with people who dont have to pay to advertise? if they all leave then bye bye LS1Tech (or worse yet it becomes like LS1.com) and then what? if you really like his rearends, then pressure him to become a sponsor for the good of us all. when i am ready to buy i rear i may give him a call and tell him i will buy his rear if he becomes a sponsor and if not, he just lost a customer
Old 12-03-2003, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

the last few days i had been doing some research on the 8.8 and it kinda made me think differently about the way ls1tech is run. i have a feeling someone is making a good deal of money off this site...and thats all good, but then to "ban" even the talk of a product just because they wont pay the money hungry fees of advertising here? eh...

i run my own web design/hosting company out of my home...and i know there are nowhere near $6,000 worth of cost, per month, to run something like this.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BigPlanTransAm
what happens if the sponsors who carry their rears decide they dont like competing with people who dont have to pay to advertise? if they all leave then bye bye LS1Tech (or worse yet it becomes like LS1.com) and then what? if you really like his rearends, then pressure him to become a sponsor for the good of us all. when i am ready to buy i rear i may give him a call and tell him i will buy his rear if he becomes a sponsor and if not, he just lost a customer
granted, people shouldn't get free advertising...but this went way past that...every thread that barely mentions 8.8 is locked. everyone tells this guy he's gonna get banned because he posted a damn link to where you can get it from. thats rediculous...

we cant discuss a product thats on the market because they dont pay you guys....BS
Old 12-03-2003, 04:54 PM
TECH Junkie

the thing is no one from extreme chassis is one here advertising

people who have bought 8.8's from him and are saitisfied with the performance and cost of them are the ones saying, hey here is where i got my rear end

to prohibit that is wrong
Old 12-03-2003, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

6000$/month would get you a full 100mbits colo in a Class A datacenter, full rack, and plenty of servers (leased) to keep the server from ever taking more than .1s to respond to a link

hell ds3's are like 9K with local loop these days, i can pull one to my home, since i live in the city