Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

moser 12 bolt issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default moser 12 bolt issues

i had my moser 12 bolt professionally installed and now i have a few issues... first the damn thing leaks, im not sure how well the gears are set up because i have a whine and clunks like the backlash isnt set right. also i have a vibration but am not sure if its from the rear end. (got a whole package from moser 3.73 gear, detroit truetrac diff, 33 spline axles, 1350 yoke, and a girdle) i thought i was buying a quality product but am now starting to think otherwise.

any feedback would be appreciated thanks
Old 01-07-2010, 05:51 AM
Staging Lane

I have been looking at the same setup. I thought they were a top quality product.

Is this common with these rears?

Sorry to hear your having problems.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:44 PM
10 Second Club

I had mine for 2-years, its never leaked and makes some noise but no clunking.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:10 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1sicklsx
i had my moser 12 bolt professionally installed and now i have a few issues... first the damn thing leaks, im not sure how well the gears are set up because i have a whine and clunks like the backlash isnt set right. also i have a vibration but am not sure if its from the rear end. (got a whole package from moser 3.73 gear, detroit truetrac diff, 33 spline axles, 1350 yoke, and a girdle) i thought i was buying a quality product but am now starting to think otherwise.

any feedback would be appreciated thanks
First thing to do is to make sure the four torque arm bolts are still tight. Whenever there is ever a clunking noise from a Moser 12 bolt, the tightness of these four bolts should be immediately checked. Why? These bolts have a habit of working loose, and once loose they can ruin your torque arm if left go. We have always cleaned the torque arm bolt threads of any oil, then applied loctite to them. Even with the use of loctite, it is a good idea to inspect them every now and then to make sure they are tight. Bob
Old 01-08-2010, 05:12 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fjb78
I have been looking at the same setup. I thought they were a top quality product.

Is this common with these rears?

Sorry to hear your having problems.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=2227

Check out the above link, where I explain why I prefer the Moser 9 inch over any 12 bolt. Bob
Old 01-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
First thing to do is to make sure the four torque arm bolts are still tight. Whenever there is ever a clunking noise from a Moser 12 bolt, the tightness of these four bolts should be immediately checked. Why? These bolts have a habit of working loose, and once loose they can ruin your torque arm if left go. We have always cleaned the torque arm bolt threads of any oil, then applied loctite to them. Even with the use of loctite, it is a good idea to inspect them every now and then to make sure they are tight. Bob
I had a problem with my 4 TA bolts coming loose on my 12 bolt too. I would literally check and tighten them everytime before I went to the track. Even using lock tight they would still loosen. When I changed my stock TA out for a UMI tunnell mount TA I took brake cleaner and sprayed and cleaned the bolt holes out very good. I then put a good coat of lock tight on the bolts after cleaning them very good with the brake clean. I wanted to be sure they did not come loose so I also got 4 lock washers for the bolts and tightened everything up. I have been to the track a lot since then and I just checked my bolts and they are all still tight.

My 12 bolt leaks too. I found a leak to be coming from the fill hole on the side of the housing. I took the plug out and cleaned it up good and used thread putty the seal it up good that quit leaking and then noticed that it was leaking from the lower plug on the girdle. I did the same thing there too. I also have replaced both axle seals in my 12 bolt that were leaking.

As far as the whine I don't think there are too many 12 bolts out there that do not have some kind of noise. Most of the noise is coming from the gears. The gears are not made to be quiet they are made to be strong and last behind a lot of HP. I read that they are Pro gears and that they will be noisy.

I loved my 12 bolt up until I broke the Trutrac in mine about 2 months ago. I called Bob and ordered up a spool and now I am just waiting for a little warmer weather to get here so I can get it back together. Then I will set it up in to specs and see if the noise is as bad.

Last edited by BlackNightmare; 01-08-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:41 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I use a small piece of flat bar steel and tack weld the bolts to it, from one bolt to the other, comes off easy and makes me not have to check them...ever.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

I believe my clunk is excessive backlash in the gears, the axle seal have been replaced by the installer, still have leaks at axle seal & pinion seal, the TA bolts are clean tight and threadlocked, I really don't care about the whine I expected it, and for my vibration... That's a whole other situation which I'm out of time money space to further persue. I was just curios if I had recieved a " Friday" part or if any of this was a somewhat common issue with the 12 bolt

Quick Reply: moser 12 bolt issues