Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Ordering Moser 9" have Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 10:12 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Ordering Moser 9" have Question

I'm looking at ordering a Moser 9" rear-end. My car is a daily driver H/C with Nitrous. I run it at the track on slicks. My question is will a posi unit hold up to the abuse?

Thanks for help.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

I wouldn't want a posi in one. Spider gears are awfully small (even on a 9") to take repeated abuse.

One other piece of advice. Get the drain plug option. its really nice to have to change gear oil. otherwise you have to pull the center section to do it
Old 12-22-2003, 12:11 PM
TECH Regular

I'm not sure about the posi. If you go to the track often, I personally would not have "complete" faith in the posi. I'm not saying that it will not hold up either. I have a Locker in mine and I daily drive it. Makes a little noise on the street and not the easiest to drive, but you get used to it. I do love it at the track!!!

Definately get the drain plug....I didn't and wish I did!

If you want pure strength, I would not suggest the posi.

Last edited by 1BDHWK; 12-22-2003 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:20 PM
Banned

The Posi would stand up fine to abuse. For a daily driver I would highly recommend the Posi unit, the locker and/or spool would be a bit annoying for streetability. You have to take corners easy and cutting hard corners (Backing out of driveway/parking spots) takes a bit of getting used to. Plus you will eat up tires a lot quicker without the Posi.

We have 9" and 12-bolts with posi's well into the 500-600rwhp range with no problems. Obviously the spool would be a more durable unit and lighter, but it wouldn't be too fun as a daily driver.

Give me a call if you have any questions, we can give killer deals on Moser as we are the leading Moser 4th gen f-body retailer on the east coast.

My direct line is 516-779-2330.

- Matt Sorian
Old 12-26-2003, 08:52 AM
roy
TECH Resident

The ford 9 with a passenger car stock posi is very weak, especially the 4 hole variety . If any thing get the truck varient more plates are used and the lube holes are smaller and the case is thicker. Plus it is a little cheaper ,
BUt having said that I went with the detroit locker because of its brute strength and durability.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:44 PM
Launching!

I decided to go with a spool.

Thanks for everyone’s input.
Old 12-27-2003, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TTPMatt
The Posi would stand up fine to abuse. For a daily driver I would highly recommend the Posi unit, the locker and/or spool would be a bit annoying for streetability. You have to take corners easy and cutting hard corners (Backing out of driveway/parking spots) takes a bit of getting used to. Plus you will eat up tires a lot quicker without the Posi.

We have 9" and 12-bolts with posi's well into the 500-600rwhp range with no problems. Obviously the spool would be a more durable unit and lighter, but it wouldn't be too fun as a daily driver.

Give me a call if you have any questions, we can give killer deals on Moser as we are the leading Moser 4th gen f-body retailer on the east coast.

My direct line is 516-779-2330.

- Matt Sorian

I am just curious, what posi are you referring to for a 9 inch? I KNOW you are not tallking about the junk Auburn Pro Series are you? Is there another one available for the 9 inch?

I am on my second one and it will not spin the left rear over standing in water.

Kevin
Old 12-27-2003, 05:56 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

I have a strange 12 bolt and my posi was done in 5 months. And the nine inch posi i heard was even weaker. I think it depends how many times you plan on going to the track. Maybe checkout a detorit locker or just go with a spool. Thats what i have now.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:04 AM
10 Second Club

Well, you be happy with that spool at the track. I'll probably get the locker if I ever replace my stock axle.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:01 PM
Banned

We have had good success with the Auburn units... You could try the Ford Trac-Loc

- Matt
Old 12-28-2003, 10:04 PM
Banned

Bottom Line: Posi's are going to be a weaker than a locker/spool not only for the structure of the differential but also you are using *thinner/weaker* spider gears...

For our customers that use their car as daily driver's, but have a lot of HP, the posi is the way to go.. I'd recommend a 12-bolt with a eaton posi for most daily drivers.. But it depends on how much you can stand, a locker or even a spool is definitely drivable on the street.

Quick Reply: Ordering Moser 9" have Question