Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10 bolt issues after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 10 bolt issues after rebuild

alright so i ordered thunder racings rebuild package thinking just my ring and pinion broke took it apart and the bearing journal on the ring gear side fell out so i had to buy an auburn diff i took it all got it installed and after about 100 miles it started howling like a **** and it had a wooshing sound that was loud outside the car took it back to them and they said that the left carrier bearing race were the rollers roll was not heat treated properly which i think is BS so they charged me another 200 for all new bearings and labor not to bad i guess well after talking to several people they told me the carrier preload was to tight which is what scored the bearing and today after i hit the 150 mile mark im starting to hear it again and im getting pissed what should i do with all the money i spent i could have bought a f***ing 12 bolt
Old 05-26-2010, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by natejk
alright so i ordered thunder racings rebuild package thinking just my ring and pinion broke took it apart and the bearing journal on the ring gear side fell out so i had to buy an auburn diff i took it all got it installed and after about 100 miles it started howling like a **** and it had a wooshing sound that was loud outside the car took it back to them and they said that the left carrier bearing race were the rollers roll was not heat treated properly which i think is BS so they charged me another 200 for all new bearings and labor not to bad i guess well after talking to several people they told me the carrier preload was to tight which is what scored the bearing and today after i hit the 150 mile mark im starting to hear it again and im getting pissed what should i do with all the money i spent i could have bought a f***ing 12 bolt
I hate to break it to you but I think you are being pushed around. Too much preload on the bearings WILL damage a new set of bearings very quickly. He should have never charged you for a new set of bearings, he should have made it right. In my 15 years of building rears, I have never seen a faulty race out of the box. They mess up because the setup was wrong. Sounds like to me he is trying to steer clear of paying for his mechanical mess up.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Launching!

it jus happened again its howling really really bad sounds like i have 44" bogers and its wooshing again wtf i want a 9in
Old 05-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Staging Lane

If I were you, don't deal with it anymore. Cut your losses and go with a different setup. A 12 bolt or S60 at the very minimum.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:18 PM
Launching!

ive got almost 1500 tied up right now i cant cut that loss ive spent at least 1100 with them im gonna see if i can get them to get me a 9in housing with everything but the center and then find a cheap center section for time being at least till im out of school if i would have known it was gonna cost this much i would have junked it and got a 9in or 12 bolt to start with
Old 05-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Launching!

talked to him today he tried to blame it on the housing anyone think that could be the issue im going there tomorrow id like to have another opinion
Old 05-27-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

what should i do with all the money i spent i could have bought a f***ing 12 bolt
Learn to work on your own car....it saves a lot of money.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

talked to him today he tried to blame it on the housing anyone think that could be the issue im going there tomorrow id like to have another opinion
Now I have no doubt in my mind you are dealing with a shady mechanic. So now he changes his mind and blames it on something else? He's just trying to get out of paying for his own wrong doings. I'm pretty certain, by what you have said, that this guy is 100% responsible for your lost money. I hate dealing with people like this, in any profession.

1. He has already moved beyond his original diagnosis and now blames something else.

2. He's not even trying to make it right with you. Has he even offered to meet you in the middle and split additional costs? More than likely not.

Sorry you got shafted, I hate to hear of people doing business this way.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Learn to work on your own car....it saves a lot of money.
I do everything on my car rears and transmissions are not my bag if ya know what i'm sayin I dropped the rear out and brought it to the guy becausei tried it myself but didn't have enough pinion depth so my pattern was off so I took it to them to put together didn't think this would happen
Old 05-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Launching!

well i went to there shop today and he said he wont rebuild it again in that housing and he wont do it for free because its not his fault he says the housing has to be tweeked or somthing so im going to get another shops opinion