Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rearend Problem....need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Rearend Problem....need help!!

I just installed the rearend out of a '99 Z28 into my '00 T/A. Most everything went okay...had to change out brake lines and the parking brake lines from the '99 were too long for the parking brake to work(no biggie I have an A4 so i never use it anyways).

The rearend out of the '99 had Traction Control and my car did not have it. The problem that i am having now is when i crank up the car and put it into drive the LOW TRAC light comes on and i can feel the brake being applied or something. After about 20 seconds the LOW TRAC light goes off and everything is normal until I kill the car and restart it.

Any advise would be helpful.... thankful!!
Old 02-02-2004, 01:39 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Did u hook your abs back up ? also did you put the reluctor /excitor ring back on the diff when you did the swap?
Old 02-02-2004, 03:38 PM
Launching!

did hook the abs up, but not sure about the excitor ring... buddy did most of it. I'll check. Just realized also that when the LOW TRAC light goes off the BRAKE light comes on and stays on the entire time.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:04 PM
Launching!

okay i guess im not sure what the excitor ring is? I really need to get this fixed!! Like I have said: I crank the car and its fine, put it into gear and the LOW TRAC light comes one. If i continue to stop and go it continues to come on until i hit a staight away for a couple hundred yards. Then the BRAKE (dash) light comes on and the LOW TRAC goes off. The BRAKE (dash)light stays on the entire time I drive my car until I turn it off. Then it starts all over again.

This is horrible because when the LOW TRAC light is on and I hit the brake i can feel the ABS working.... kind of like when you slam on the brakes in the rain and you can feel the ABS through the pedal.

Man i really need some help with this!! Thanks ahead of time (again)!!!
Old 02-11-2004, 10:48 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

As long as the rearend is the same channel 3 vs 4 you should be good the two other things i would check is are the brakes bleed good.You don't want no air pockets in the abs pump.And second is the reclutor ring the same spacing as the old one. I am talking about the ring that the sencer reads.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:06 PM
Launching!

okay where exactly is this reclutor ring??
Old 02-11-2004, 11:20 PM
roy
TECH Resident

The reluctor ring is located behind the dif cover in 3 channel setups. you mentioned the replacement rear was a 4 channel setup. so now you have to convert the new rear to a 3 channel setup. I guess there is two ways to do this.

1. put the axles and gears in to your 3 old channel axle housing.

2. take the reluctor ring from your old 3 channel setup and mount it on your differential , this also requires removing the diff also. then drill & tap the axle ***
in the same exact location as your old 3 channel and mount the pickup. I never said it would be easy ,but it shouldn't be impossible,
Good luck
Old 02-11-2004, 11:30 PM
Launching!

So a rearend with the traction control is a 4-channel and one without it is a 3-channel?? New to this stuff and the old rearend is long gone so im kinda stuck i guess. If i dont change it will this mess up something on my car?? Thanks for the help
Old 02-12-2004, 08:35 AM
Staging Lane

hey man, I shot you an email...if you didn't get it send me a pm.