Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Closest Diff to stock manners?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 06:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Closest Diff to stock manners?

I am shortly going to be buying a complete Strange 12 Bolt axle assembly. After all my research, i have yet to find which Differential not only drives like stock, but also is rebuildable. I am very confused. I know I don't want a spool, or Posi for my DD. but, what are my other choices? is a Wavetrac rebuildable, or will I have to buy a new diff every time? What about Truetrac? Are they limitied slip diff, or Posi? Just very confused. This is a VERY important decision when it comes to my new rear end assembly. I don't want to make wrong decision. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-14-2010, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

I have the eaton posi in my 12 bolt & is just as quiet as stock. It is rebuildible as well. Why do you not want a posi?
Old 12-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Launching!

The way I understand it, with a Posi, both wheels turning same, not good for a DD. I have no idea. Seriously. I am scared to purchase a rear end assembly, because i have no idea which diff to get. I've heard a detroit Locker cluncks every time you turn etc. I need to upgrade my 10 Bolt, but there are SO mant diff choices, I'm lost!
Old 12-14-2010, 08:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Umm I have a TruTrac and i didn't notice a difference in drivability.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by texas99Z28
The way I understand it, with a Posi, both wheels turning same, not good for a DD. I have no idea. Seriously. I am scared to purchase a rear end assembly, because i have no idea which diff to get. I've heard a detroit Locker cluncks every time you turn etc. I need to upgrade my 10 Bolt, but there are SO mant diff choices, I'm lost!
Posi is what the stock rear end has. A spool is both wheels always turning together.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

A TrueTrac is just about as close to stock as you can get. I have one in a 9" and love it and will be buying a second for another project car. I don't race at the track but it is VERY predictable on the street and always there when you need it but never in the way if you don't. It's also quiet - like stock quiet. Did I mention I drive this car nearly every chance I get which means everywhere like work, road trips, etc..
Old 12-14-2010, 10:30 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some things we ask our customers when choosing a differential for them is, what are your intentions with the vehicle, how much HP does it make, what transmission does it have, and so on and so forth.

These questions asked to the right sales person will always point you to what you need to purchase and why. Of course what style rear end you are buying or who you are buying from can also be a limiting factor for differential choices. Building a nine inch from a company such as us will give you far more choices for a differential over any other bolt in style F-Body housing or manufacture. If price is an issue the Strange 12-bolt and S-60 are very great choices. How ever we do prefer the S-60 over the 12-bolt from our own customer feedback.

I hope this helps some in your search for the right set up to fit your needs and it appears some have helped you answer some of the questions you have. If you go with the Strange 12-bolt the HD Strange/Eaton 33-Spline Posi-Unit is the way you want to go to have the closest feel to stock, as long as it suits your build's needs.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Valkyn
Posi is what the stock rear end has. A spool is both wheels always turning together.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Currently, my car is pushing about 345 rwhp. my trans is the 4L60E that is rated to 400 rwhp. it is possible in the future, I may mod car to about 400 rwhp. it is my DD, maybe go to track a couple times a year with Dr's.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:15 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I would go with the Wavetrac, it comes with a great warranty and is available for the 12 bolt. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 12-15-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

An eaton posi in the 12 bolt or 9 inch would probably hold up fine in a 400hp auto that rarely sees the track.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:10 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I have to agree, No need in buying something you don't need and you can use that money towards other parts. That's why we offer so many choices with our builds.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
I have to agree, No need in buying something you don't need and you can use that money towards other parts. That's why we offer so many choices with our builds.
lol, we offer a ton of options too...............................................

The Op clearly is worried about making sure he gets something that is going to last. Yes the Wavetrac is more money, but he won't have to worry about it, now will he. Bob

Old 12-15-2010, 08:33 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

The Wavetrac is a very good product indeed, but some times there are other choices that not only fit your build but your budget as well. Also everything is breakable with abuse and we don't like to say other wise but it is nice knowing that if the Wavetrac does break it comes with a good warranty.

We sell a lot of Strange products and that includes the 12-bolt and the S-60 and we have had very good luck with Eaton they use.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:06 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I am shortly going to be buying a complete Strange 12 Bolt axle assembly. After all my research, i have yet to find which Differential not only drives like stock, but also is rebuildable. I am very confused. I know I don't want a spool, or Posi for my DD. but, what are my other choices? is a Wavetrac rebuildable, or will I have to buy a new diff every time? What about Truetrac? Are they limitied slip diff, or Posi? Just very confused. This is a VERY important decision when it comes to my new rear end assembly. I don't want to make wrong decision. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Before you go ahead and buy a 12 bolt you might want to take a look at this link. http://shop.brutespeed.com/Brute-Spe...nformation.htm Bob

Old 12-16-2010, 10:33 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the 33 spline posi unit that comes as standard equipment in the Strange 12 bolt will be more than enough for you now, and for your future plans. it is plenty durable, and rebuildable if ever need be. I would not worry about a truetrac or locker for sure, and though the Wavetrac is a good diff unit, Strange probably won't install one. the 12 bolt comes completely assembled, ready to install. Pm or call us for the best prices available on and rearend product you can think of for your f-body car.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:49 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

call the other places, then give me a call... Bob