Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Changing 10-bolt axle and bearing. Can it be done at home?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing 10-bolt axle and bearing. Can it be done at home?

I've been trying to pin-point some vibration and noise coming from my rear end for a while now. It seems to be coming from the passenger rear. First thing i found out was that the wheel that was on it was badly bent so i bought a good used one and had it mounted and balanced. The noise was still there after the new wheel.

I jacked up my car and ran the tires at idle while looking down the side of the wheel for a wobble. There could possibly be a slight wobble but no where near the amount when the old bent wheel was on.

I got my girlfriend to run the tires at 30mph while i poked around the rear end with a stethoscope. I checked around the pumpkin and at the end by the wheel bearings. The noise was the loudest closest to the wheel bearings.

So i plan on getting a used axle and a bearing kit. Will i need any special tools or will i need to bring anything to a machine shop to have anything pressed off/on? It's a 4-channel rear.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

Axle bearings ( and seal ) are pressed into the housing and not onto the axle.
Being a 2002,you would have a Torsen differential. Removing the center 'paddle' will allow the axle to move in to be able to remove the 'c-clips'. Axles will slide out then with the bearings and seals still in the housing.
There are 'axle saver bearing kits' that relocate the bearing in a slightly different position on the axle in order to be able to use a 'worn' axle. Using those 'kits' don't allow the axles to go in far enough to re-insert the c-clips. Avoid those 'kits'.
removing the bearings from the housing requires some kind of puller.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yup.. the Puller is actually just a slide hammer and the appropriate axle bearing attachment.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Autozone is your friend. Just did axle bears/seals on mine and its a piece of cake. Autozone rents the bearing puller and the slide hammer. You will also need the bearing/race driver too, but look up the part number online. The guys instore sometimes have trouble finding it. Definitely doable in home though.

-Will
Old 05-28-2011, 10:41 PM
Launching!

What about the reluctor ring? Does it have to be pressed on/off?
Old 05-29-2011, 03:02 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did one of these outside an auto parts store, and I'd never even seen the inside of a differential, much less removed an axle. Very easy. As stated above, make sure you have all your parts before you start. Axle bearing slide hammer, bearing installation tool, new bearings, new seals, etc. If you were only gonna do one side only, don't. Do both. I don't know much about the reluctor though.

One tip, get a GOOD quality axle bearing puller. I went to rent one and found some of the claws broken off already. You'll likely have to slam that slide hammer hard, so make sure it's a good named puller. You don't want some foreign no name slag metal tool from the clearance bin. The bearing installation tool was actually a mini set. Definately make sure there is more than one or two pieces cause not all bearings/axle tubes are the same size, lol.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

replacement aftermarket axles for 4 channel rearends are machined to accept the reluctor rings. They have to be removed and installed on the replacement axles.
3 channel axles are not machined to accept the rings.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:54 PM
Banned

i had the same wabble and a noise coming from my 10 bolt or so i thought, turnout out one of my rear brake calipers was hanging up and not fully releasing..it was easily fixed when i replaced the caliper
Old 05-31-2011, 11:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ilovechevy1
i had the same wabble and a noise coming from my 10 bolt or so i thought, turnout out one of my rear brake calipers was hanging up and not fully releasing..it was easily fixed when i replaced the caliper
Thanks for the reply. Mine still made noise after taking the caliper and rotor off while on jackstands.

Quick Reply: Changing 10-bolt axle and bearing. Can it be done at home?