Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need a driveshaft, advice please

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need a driveshaft, advice please

I broke my driveshaft last weekend at the drag strip so its time to get a real one!
Car is a M6 99 ss with full boltons, cam, 9 inch and nitrous. I was looking at the top of the line Sphoon, PST Chromoly and the PST Aluminum. Which one is the best to run for my setup? i don't want to have to buy another one if you catch my drift. All are roughly the same price. From what I have read, the pst aluminum is like 6 pounds lighter that the chromoly which i like because it is rotational mass but is it that much weaker than the chromoly? What are my pros and cons of ether of the 3 and what would my best bet be? Also, do these come ready to install in the car or is there other stuff I need to buy for them? Thanks for the help. This is the first go round for me and the driveshaft buying.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:44 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

http://shop.brutespeed.com/PST-DRA35...-PST-DRA35.htm
The PST alum driveshaft with the forged yoke is a very strong driveshaft that will handle 1000 HP. It comes complete and is ready to bolt in. A lot of people that run low 9's/high 8's in the 1/4 run this driveshaft. My Camaro never had a problem using this driveshaft and cut 1.29 60ft times.

http://shop.brutespeed.com/PST-3-1-2...Driveshaft.htm
If your plans include a major horsepower increase past 1000 hp, then the chromoly driveshaft is a great choice. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 10-28-2011, 07:58 AM
TECH Resident

I was hoping you would chime in. I will call you early next week to order the aluminum one. Thanks bob.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by speedfreak2685
I was hoping you would chime in. I will call you early next week to order the aluminum one. Thanks bob.
Thanks, I appreciate it! Bob

Old 10-28-2011, 10:37 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedfreak2685
I broke my driveshaft last weekend at the drag strip so its time to get a real one!
Car is a M6 99 ss with full boltons, cam, 9 inch and nitrous. I was looking at the top of the line Sphoon, PST Chromoly and the PST Aluminum. Which one is the best to run for my setup? i don't want to have to buy another one if you catch my drift. All are roughly the same price. From what I have read, the pst aluminum is like 6 pounds lighter that the chromoly which i like because it is rotational mass but is it that much weaker than the chromoly? What are my pros and cons of ether of the 3 and what would my best bet be? Also, do these come ready to install in the car or is there other stuff I need to buy for them? Thanks for the help. This is the first go round for me and the driveshaft buying.
With a N2o car on a slick and full weight I would look at getting into a Strange C/M yoke. It is a little bit more but it is a yoke that can handle the abuse an M6 car will hand out.

We have sold a lot of PST drive shafts this year with that particular upgraded yoke.

Now keep in mind there is some weight savings in the drive shaft but I went from a Strange C/M drive shaft with their yoke and went to a PST carbon fiber using the same Strange yoke and didn't see any changes with that roughly 13 pounds of weight savings.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

Look into a Mark Williams chromoly driveshaft & slip yoke. Definitely not the cheapest, but probably the best. Great customer service also
Old 10-28-2011, 05:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

That's a PST 3.5" alum driveshaft under there in my old Z28. Bob

Old 10-28-2011, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed

That's a PST 3.5" alum driveshaft under there in my old Z28. Bob
Hehe
Old 10-31-2011, 04:05 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
With a N2o car on a slick and full weight I would look at getting into a Strange C/M yoke. It is a little bit more but it is a yoke that can handle the abuse an M6 car will hand out.

We have sold a lot of PST drive shafts this year with that particular upgraded yoke.

Now keep in mind there is some weight savings in the drive shaft but I went from a Strange C/M drive shaft with their yoke and went to a PST carbon fiber using the same Strange yoke and didn't see any changes with that roughly 13 pounds of weight savings.
What would you recommend for an auto car? I am in the market for a drive shaft. I have a 9 inch rear, cam, and nitrous. I am asking which yoke and drive shaft.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2011, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Is there special pricing for tech members? I'm in the market but haven't decided on who I'm buying through.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:43 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by 02sleeperz28
What would you recommend for an auto car? I am in the market for a drive shaft. I have a 9 inch rear, cam, and nitrous. I am asking which yoke and drive shaft.

Thanks
On a personal level I have always bought Stranges C/M yoke for what ever I am building. It is more money but me personally I have never had an issue with one.

For a drive shaft I have owned them all from steel, aluminum, C/M, and carbon fiber. Personally I couldn't feel nor did I see any differences with any of them. I prefer the aluminum and carbon fiber for the over all weight savings they give. If you are looking to cut back some weight off your car I can't think of a better place to do it if you already have to purchase a drive shaft. That's what makes an aluminum drive shaft such a popular choice.

HP ratings PST put's theirs all in the same basic ball park with being the major deciding factor the yoke itself.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:44 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Stryker
Is there special pricing for tech members? I'm in the market but haven't decided on who I'm buying through.
All our prices are based off helping Tech members out, every day discounts.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:35 PM
9 Second Club

On a personal level I have always bought Stranges C/M yoke for what ever I am building. It is more money but me personally I have never had an issue with one.

For a drive shaft I have owned them all from steel, aluminum, C/M, and carbon fiber. Personally I couldn't feel nor did I see any differences with any of them. I prefer the aluminum and carbon fiber for the over all weight savings they give. If you are looking to cut back some weight off your car I can't think of a better place to do it if you already have to purchase a drive shaft. That's what makes an aluminum drive shaft such a popular choice.

HP ratings PST put's theirs all in the same basic ball park with being the major deciding factor the yoke itself.
Thank you!
Old 11-05-2011, 05:50 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Stryker
Give me a call for great prices. 260 672-2076. Bob

Old 11-05-2011, 11:27 PM
TECH Resident

Order from Bob at Brute speed hands down. I just got mine in and couldnt be happier with the customer service as well as the price. I got the PST aluminum and it looked great. Thanks again Bob.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the Spohn Units. Standard diameter, will never break.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So would it be beneficial to install a C/M yoke on my steel DS?
Old 11-07-2011, 10:18 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
So would it be beneficial to install a C/M yoke on my steel DS?
You know how we are, use what you have and if it is not working properly for you then spend the money to upgrade. No need to purchase something until needed on some instances like this.

Quick Reply: Need a driveshaft, advice please