Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

what diff is everyone running?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 10:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what diff is everyone running?

this winter, i am looking to do a moser 9" rear with 4.11:1 gears.

I have searched around a little but just cant seem to make up my mind on what diff to go with.

local tuner recommended a detroit locker. have heard good things about the true-trak and wave-trak.

t56 and the car is going to be a weekend car that gets a decent amount of track time.

while keeping it streetable and not a complete pain to drive, what diff would you guys recommend me going with?
Old 11-03-2011, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I put a Wavetrac in my 8.8 fbody swap, and just bought a Truetrac for the ford 7.5 swap that's going into my LSX Miata. If I was using an 8.8 in the Miata, I would have gone Wavetrac in it as well....but true dual 2.5" exhaust would not clear the 8.8 in the Miata as nicely as I wanted.....so 7.5 it was. Everything I've read about the Wavetrac has been really positive, and for a street-driven car it appears to be the way to go for high hp cars. Yeah, it costs double that of the Trutrac....but in the 1 instance that I could find where someone actually broke one (1st design unit at 1000+ RWHP), the company didn't even blink at a sending a warranty replacement.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:26 AM
12 Second Club

Good warranty coverage is always a plus. And I won't be seeing 1000hp on this build, so that would work there too. I just want to get as many opinions as possible before I make my choice. Pros/cons for different diffs... What they can and can't handle. How well they disengage for cornering and street driving, track performance... Just looking for good info and comparisons
Old 11-03-2011, 03:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A locker will buck in corners, so parking could be a bitch. As far as I know Truetrac<Wavetrac. I have a Truetrac in mine, but that was before Wavetrac was even around.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:28 AM
12 Second Club

Thats exactly what i was looking for. I had heard that the locker would stay unlocked until it slipped so it would be fine around corners.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:31 AM
11 Second Club

I LIKE Lockers but you may not like it with with the standard,
( bucking/snaping/poping) BUT with an auto o-yel, I never know it there untill it is needed)
see my reply # 4 in the post
https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...ot-locker.html
Johnny
Old 11-03-2011, 10:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, stay away from lockers in a clutch car. I tossed my detroit locker in favor of a spool and it's FAR better behaved now. That locker was a nightmare, and this is coming from someone that puts up with quite a bit more in terms of "streetable" than most people do.....
Old 11-03-2011, 10:43 AM
12 Second Club

Yet another good answer. My local tuner seems to be very fond of the locker. He didn't even mention another option. Just said I'd never have an issue with a locker and it wouldn't be too bad to drive.

Another question, how many splines should I be looking at? I know the more splines the stronger, but going as high as 35, is there any negative?
Old 11-03-2011, 10:46 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
IMO, stay away from lockers in a clutch car. I tossed my detroit locker in favor of a spool and it's FAR better behaved now. That locker was a nightmare, and this is coming from someone that puts up with quite a bit more in terms of "streetable" than most people do.....
What made it so bad? I also am willin to put up with a lot because it is going to be a weekend only car. But if you have a horror story, I'd love to know what exactly made it so bad
Old 11-03-2011, 11:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by derekbuckner1
What made it so bad? I also am willin to put up with a lot because it is going to be a weekend only car. But if you have a horror story, I'd love to know what exactly made it so bad
The way the locker is designed to work, there has to be an excessive amount of play in the diff. When the rear tires are locked, you can grab the driveshaft and still rotate it about 45 degrees. This action plays hell with shifting, and can actually wear out the synchros in your transmission. My car shifts WAY smoother with the spool than it did with the locker. This "slop" in the locker can also cause the rear end to "scoot" to one side in normal driving during shifts as the locker loads/unloads and power is removed/applied (feels almost like you hit a slick spot and momentarily lose traction).

In my experience, the only time the locker would "unlock" was with the clutch disengaged any amount. It basically acted like a spool if you were moving under power with the clutch engaged, and when you disengage the clutch it bangs/bucks as the locker ratchets. Backing out of the driveway (or any other time you slip the clutch at all like turning from a stop) was the worst, it felt/sounded like the diff was about to come out of the car. The spool behaves sooooo much better. Only negative with the spool is the effort to turn the steering wheel increased a little bit.

Another question, how many splines should I be looking at? I know the more splines the stronger, but going as high as 35, is there any negative?
The only negative is once you get to 35 spline & up, the only diff options are wavetrac, locker or spool. A traditional posi like an Eaton clutch-style diff only goes up to 33 spline.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:19 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Locker is imput torque sensitive for lockup... locker does not go well with a M6 car at all. I would suggest the Wavetrac or the new Strange S-Trac in your application as the Truetrac will be subject for failure with drag racing. If the first two are not in your budget then a billet clutch posi will work ok. 31 spline is plenty even into the low 10s.

Give us a shout when you're ready to buy a rearend. We have more options than anybody on a rearend build for the f-body cars as we are direct with Strange, Moser, and manufacture the ever popular MWC fabricated 9 inch.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssvert99
Locker is imput torque sensitive for lockup... locker does not go well with a M6 car at all. I would suggest the Wavetrac or the new Strange S-Trac in your application as the Truetrac will be subject for failure with drag racing. If the first two are not in your budget then a billet clutch posi will work ok. 31 spline is plenty even into the low 10s.

Give us a shout when you're ready to buy a rearend. We have more options than anybody on a rearend build for the f-body cars as we are direct with Strange, Moser, and manufacture the ever popular MWC fabricated 9 inch.
thank you very much. the goal is to do this around christmas/new years but definitely before the car comes out of the garage next year. i'll definitely give you guys a call when im ready to order
Old 11-04-2011, 10:04 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank you very much. the goal is to do this around christmas/new years but definitely before the car comes out of the garage next year. i'll definitely give you guys a call when im ready to order
You won't be disappointed when you do. You can get into a fabricated housing for the cost of a stamped housing and have a better fitting torque arm with less weight. You also will not have the dreaded issue of a torque arm bracket making contact with the floor board.

Like mentioning though stay away from the Detroit lockers. The shop guy that welds up all the rear ends and suspension components was running the Strange S-Trac for some testing until we switched it to another vehicle and he has the option of any differential on the market and said he would rather drive with a spool than to ever have a Detroit locker back in his car.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eaton posi in my Strange 12 bolt. No issue other than the rear whines pretty good after 8 years of abuse.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a detroit locker in mine when first built DETROIT LOCKER= POS to me,, the worst mod I ever did, the car would float when on and off the accelerator, due to the backlash that is in the locker itself. I went with a spool, its hard on tires, and raises cain in tight turns, but when street driving I never know its there. If you want to go limited slip, GO WITH THE NEW WAVETRAC if you can afford it, It carries the best warranty on the market, and you wont have to buy another one.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ssvert99
I went with the billet posi & its working very well. Only $100 more than a spool so a much cheaper alternative that works.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:48 AM
12 Second Club

After speaking with a few sponsors, it looks like I'm going to go with a spool.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldnt change my spool I like having it back there, piece of mind knowing it wont break, just plan on going thru tires quicker. A taller profile tire and hard compound will allow the tire to scuff & slide easier, and wont be as hard on the axles.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What spools are you all running? Im looking at one for my semi-daily driver.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:00 AM
Teching In

MWC makes a great rear end!!!! Top of the line parts and the fab work is second to none!!! They are great to work with and will answer any questions that you may have. I wouldnt consider anybody else! However if you want it by the spring I highly recommend getting an order in now it is one hell of a wait!