Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Hit in the Driver's side rear=bent axle/possibly housing..what are my chances?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 03:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit in the Driver's side rear=bent axle/possibly housing..what are my chances?

Just wondering what all may actually be damaged and what may end up eligible to be replaced on the insurance claim? Nationwide has already taken great care of me as far as getting the cosmetic damages fixed. Just got my car back from the body shop and Monday morning I'm dropping it off at a local GM dealership to have some of my good tech friends do a thorough inspection...

What happened: early AM, dark and raining, a friend of mine was backing out of the driveway next to my car and didnt see it and cut way too early so the right front corner of his SUV met my car just before the LR wheel, and rubbed all the way to the rear bumper, slightly lifting the car. You can lift the rear and spin the left wheel and it definitely wobbles up and down while spinning, not to mention making way more noise than it did before ( lol )

Any thoughts?
Old 10-28-2011, 03:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Let me add one more question: what could happen if I drive it like this for a few days? It's my only vehicle so I don't have much choice. I'll baby everything to be safe but what are the possibilities of driving with the chance that an axle shaft is bent/bearings maybe broken/definitely worn out?
Old 10-28-2011, 07:32 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should not drive Your car with a bent axle shaft. You could lose Your brakes amongst many other possible problems. The insurance is responsible to repair all the damage not just cosmetic, stand Your ground and get everything fixed.
Carl
Old 10-29-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, I gotta get it to the local GM dealership Monday morning and they're taking it apart to inspect and give them a quote of what it needs.

...too bad theres no way insurance won't buy me a fabbed 9 inch rear... haha
Old 11-02-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Kinda bummed, looks like they're only going to provide a used rear assembly as long as they find one with 3.42 gears with no traction control... still a minor chance they'll pay what my quote at the dealer is but I doubt it. Still thankful it's going to be fixed none-the-less, just scared whatever they find used may be broke in a week or already worn out...
Old 11-02-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Need to know!

Long story short they're replacing my rear end with a used assembly with the same gears/rpo codes. BUT they say it's out of a V6 car... did those ever even have posi units?! He clarified with my vin and the vin from the other car that they would be the same... Does anybody have any input?? Kinda worried about getting a rear with an open diff haha. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Launching!

Pretty sure they dont and your insurence agent is bending you over for a quickie.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:43 PM
12 Second Club

I hope you like 1 tire fires!
Old 11-02-2011, 11:46 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by HVYMTL
they're replacing my rear end with a used assembly with the same gears/rpo codes. BUT they say it's out of a V6 car...
Doesn't matter what engine the car had, if the donor car has RPOs "GU6" and "G80" then it's a posi 3.42 rear (unless the rear is not original to that donor).

Confirm that the donor had those RPOs. GU6 = 3.42, G80 = Limited slip. If so you are fine.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Doesn't matter what engine the car had, if the donor car has RPOs "GU6" and "G80" then it's a posi 3.42 rear (unless the rear is not original to that donor).

Confirm that the donor had those RPOs. GU6 = 3.42, G80 = Limited slip. If so you are fine.
I agree with RPM. The Codes tell the story.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

I should be good then... we're checking it first before they install it. It's good to have friends at GM dealerships, haha.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

No go, ha they called and had me check it out and it was a genuine turd. Open diff, bad bearings, the whole shabang. We decided to just replace the axles, bearings, seals, etc and I'm starting an S60 fund.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Teching In

only v6 cars to get 3.42 posi was the RPO Y87 (performance package) for future reference
Old 11-05-2011, 12:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah thanks for the input guys. Had another dillemma and my torsen was trashed so with the claim $ I paid the dealer an hour for tear down/diag, got my car driveable for a few days and ordered a new diff, axles, bearings, etc. to totally rebuild my rear. I know, I know putting money in a 10 bolt is useless but I dont have enough for a major upgraded rear assembly right now, and nothing has came out of my pocket to do this job so I can't complain. Just throwing that out there before I get the "don't waste money on a 10 bolt" flames coming my way...

Quick Reply: Hit in the Driver's side rear=bent axle/possibly housing..what are my chances?