Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Nine inch install sequence?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Nine inch install sequence?

Im working on installing my moser 9" and don't know what the proper sequence is for the install. What suspension things need to be connected first and when should the pinion angle be set?

Right now I have the LCAs, PHB and torque arm on but not tight. My driveshaft wont hookup tho, the rear is still too far forward.

At what point should the rear be centered in the wheel wells and side to side? When everything is hooked up and the axle hanging in the air? Is it the same for setting the pinion angle?
Old 11-23-2011, 10:48 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I like to get everything hung up finger tight including the TQ arm to get it all in place. Then start tightening stuff down.

The reason you can't put the DS in is because the TQ arm probably isn't bolted up yet. The rear will be centered by the Panhard rod.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the torque arm in, the front portion on the tranny is tightened already...maybe thats why the rear dosent want to move enough to get the DS in
Old 11-25-2011, 08:41 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I suspect you have the rear hanging down right now, get the rear into the loaded position to install the driveshaft. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 11-25-2011, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got the driveshaft in after centering the rear in the wheel wells with the LCAs and jacking the axle up all the way until it started lifting the rear of the car. It still didnt have much extra room, I had to fight it in abit but it went.

I measured the rear and it is around 45 inches from u joint to u joint. The stock DS is 44.5" i believe. I've read that the DS for a t56 to moser 9" should be an inch longer than stock, does that sound right?

I also read that if the front suspension is loaded that the DS may be hard to get in, which is how I have the car in the air...anyone know if this is true?
Old 11-27-2011, 08:19 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Valkyn
I got the driveshaft in after centering the rear in the wheel wells with the LCAs and jacking the axle up all the way until it started lifting the rear of the car. It still didnt have much extra room, I had to fight it in abit but it went.

I measured the rear and it is around 45 inches from u joint to u joint. The stock DS is 44.5" i believe. I've read that the DS for a t56 to moser 9" should be an inch longer than stock, does that sound right?

I also read that if the front suspension is loaded that the DS may be hard to get in, which is how I have the car in the air...anyone know if this is true?
Yes, the driveshaft length for a nine inch should be one inch longer than it is for a 10 bolt or a 12 bolt.

I can't see how the front suspension could effect anything. The engine is mounted to the K Member and the transmission crossmember is bolted to the chassis. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website