Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

hard to turn rear wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 09:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hard to turn rear wheel

i recently picked up a 98 camaro and i was changing the rear brakes and rotors, car was on jack stands, and i tried to turn the wheel and it seemed like it took alot more muscle then it should have. i took wheel, caliper, rotors off thinking maybe one of the calipers was sticking but no luck it was very tough to turn over. Car does have Richmond 373s installed by previous owner. is this normal?
Old 12-19-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are the sliders working properly... ? if you loosen the caliper mount bolts does it spin normally... becoming stiff when you tighten the bolts down?
Old 12-20-2011, 01:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
are the sliders working properly... ? if you loosen the caliper mount bolts does it spin normally... becoming stiff when you tighten the bolts down?
He said he took the caliper and rotor off. By any chance was it in gear or park?

Al 95 Z28
Old 12-20-2011, 05:36 AM
Launching!

Parking brake shoe maybe set too tight as well
Old 12-20-2011, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Big Al
He said he took the caliper and rotor off. By any chance was it in gear or park?

Al 95 Z28
you can unbolt the caliper from the perch and leave the sliders in... I know this because I JUST helped a friend on his SS.... he had the exact same problem.. His problem was on the front though...

OP, loosen the bolts holding the caliper to the mounting bracket.. (assuming the car is in neutral) see if it frees up... if not, it could be the parking shoe as they sometimes wear a groove inside the rotor and if its not inside that same wear groove, it will be stiff to turn. Start by breaking loose the bolts and see if it frees up...
Old 12-20-2011, 09:10 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
you can unbolt the caliper from the perch and leave the sliders in... I know this because I JUST helped a friend on his SS.... he had the exact same problem.. His problem was on the front though...

OP, loosen the bolts holding the caliper to the mounting bracket.. (assuming the car is in neutral) see if it frees up... if not, it could be the parking shoe as they sometimes wear a groove inside the rotor and if its not inside that same wear groove, it will be stiff to turn. Start by breaking loose the bolts and see if it frees up...
thank for the response, im going to take a better look at it tonight and hopefully figure out the problem.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

it was the parking shoe all jammed up on the rotor
Old 12-20-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

thanks for posting up what you found.. so many threads get.......

Quick Reply: hard to turn rear wheel