Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

questions about wheel stud replacement, strange 12

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 12:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default questions about wheel stud replacement, strange 12

I've got a broken wheel stud/bolt on my strange 12bolt w/4channel ABS. I've already gotten the bolts from Strange along with a little install instruction (see attachment). I took it to a mechanic and he's saying I should order new bearings/seals & reluctor ring because they'll probably get damaged during the press-off of everything to get to the stud. He suggested that "I" get them. He wasn't trying to get me to buy the parts through him so it wasn't like he was trying to make extra cash.

Anyone else had to do this or can everything be reused?

If I do need to replace things...do I need both A1013 & A1021? According to the install sheet, A1021B is called a "wedding ring" but according to Strange's site, A1013 comes with bearing, seal, and a "locking ring." But they also sell the A1021 but it comes with a bearing and locking ring. I'm confused. Sorry, for the long question but I'd rather not buy $80+ of parts I don't need to replace a $2.80 lug stud.

Thanks for the help!
Attached Files
Old 01-03-2012, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because it's a 4 channel setup the reluctor blocks the wheel bolt from coming out. They're thread in, they're not press in. In order to have the room to unscrew them. You're gonna have to pull the bearing, backing plate, and reluctor off. Anytime you pull a bearing you should replace it and the race.
All you will need is the bearing assembly and the seal and retainer ring. I just did this on my Strange 12 bolt. A1013 is for tapered roller bearings and the seal assembly. This is the Strange PN, but those are actually axle bearings from a Ford 9" housing with big bearings. Strange conveniently sells the assembly with the seal and their retainer ring, which is thicker than the one that comes with the bearings if you get them from the parts store. Strange also uses some drag race ball bearings for axle bearings in some of their rearends, so I would verify what style you have. If its a street car, you want the tapered roller bearings. The A1013 kit includes everything you'll need. You don't need to replace the reluctor. It should come off with no problem.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the answer. One other question: the reluctor adaptor (b1105c) and bearing spacer (a3000k) are reusable?

Quick Reply: questions about wheel stud replacement, strange 12