Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Axle bearing loose in 9", WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 06:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Axle bearing loose in 9", WTF?

Bought a used Moser 9" last week. Pulled my axles today... Drivers side required a gentle persuasion after removing 4 nuts, pass side axle fell out after removing 4 nuts. The passenger side bearing does not even seat in the housing. It has a small gap all the way around and you can visibly see the bearing move up and Down inside the housing. Drivers side is nice and snug. Bearings have same part number, also put drivers side shaft in passenger side, same results. Possible causes? Thanks for any input..

EDIT: I measured the tube ID's, Drivers side is 3.151, passenger side is 3.175. Both bearings measure 3.148
Drivers side:

Passenger side:

Last edited by OIF1VET; 02-20-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:53 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

sounds like a worn out bearing...
if the one axle was placed in both sides, and both sides have the gap with that one bearing, then you know the housing is fine
if the same bearing fits one side, but is loose in the other, then you have a bad housing..

I personally would replace both bearings for sanity with a "used" rear...
buy the new bearings as a set from Moser(guaranteed to be the right part)
then test fit by seeing if both new bearings look like a reasonable fit on both sides...
then take your axles to any machine shop that can press new bearings on and off...
shouldnt cost more than $75 to do both sides.

Last edited by soundengineer; 02-20-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:34 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by soundengineer
sounds like a worn out bearing...
if the one axle was placed in both sides, and both sides have the gap with that one bearing, then you know the housing is fine

I personally would replace both bearings for sanity with a "used" rear...
buy the new bearings as a set from Moser(guaranteed to be the right part)
then test fit by seeing if both new bearings look like a reasonable fit on both sides...
then take your axles to any machine shop that can press new bearings on and off...
shouldnt cost more than $75 to do both sides.
Thanks, I planned to change bearings and upgrade to 1/2" studs. I'm going to bring some calipers home from work and check the ID's on both sides also. The bearing I tried on both sides is what I believe to be the good bearing. It fits nice and tight in drivers side, but when put in passenger side it was sloppy like bearing that was in there. Both bearings have same part number, it is almost like passenger bearing tube ID is larger.

EDIT: I measured the tube ID's, Drivers side is 3.151, passenger side is 3.175. Both bearings measure 3.148

EDIT to the EDIT: Just spoke to Moser, they said passenger spun a bearing at some point which enlarged the ID. I have to have the end replaced..

Last edited by OIF1VET; 02-20-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:02 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

bummer

if this wasnt known at time of purchase that there was an issue with this rear end, I would call the original owner and ask for a refund, or I would ask them to pay for the cost of replacing the end
Old 02-20-2012, 10:51 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by soundengineer
bummer

if this wasnt known at time of purchase that there was an issue with this rear end, I would call the original owner and ask for a refund, or I would ask them to pay for the cost of replacing the end
Seller did not know, but he is standing behind his sale and will reimburse me for housing replacement.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OIF1VET
Seller did not know, but he is standing behind his sale and will reimburse me for housing replacement.
wow,sounds like....a good guy to deal with.

good to hear!

good luck & i hope everything works out!
Old 02-20-2012, 06:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by heymoej
wow,sounds like....a good guy to deal with.

good to hear!

good luck & i hope everything works out!
Thanks man! Dropping it off tomorrow for repairs.. Want to get her done so I am ready to hit the track come spring!!!
Old 02-24-2012, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a poorly machined housing end
Old 02-24-2012, 05:07 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by OIF1VET
Thanks, I planned to change bearings and upgrade to 1/2" studs. I'm going to bring some calipers home from work and check the ID's on both sides also. The bearing I tried on both sides is what I believe to be the good bearing. It fits nice and tight in drivers side, but when put in passenger side it was sloppy like bearing that was in there. Both bearings have same part number, it is almost like passenger bearing tube ID is larger.

EDIT to the EDIT: Just spoke to Moser, they said passenger spun a bearing at some point which enlarged the ID. I have to have the end replaced..

They tagged it right there!

Carl