Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What carrier is this? And is this noise normal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 06:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What carrier is this? And is this noise normal?

I bought a 12 bolt that had a locker in it supposedly. After install, I noticed that at lower speeds, it makes loud popping noises in turns(I know lockers are supposed to ratchet, but I honestly assumed it would make a mechanical sound, not a sound that seemed like it was binding and popping, which I am wondering if this is normal).

I decided that for the hell of it, I'd pull the diff cover to drain the fluid and inspect everything. This is what I found.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like a posi to me. And if that is the case, what would cause my low speed popping and such?
Old 03-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Launching!

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes that is a posi and what you hear is clutch chatter. Eitehr the posi is too tight but I doubt it since it has preload springs in it so no one attempted to tune the posi and shimmed it too tight. Add 2 bottles of GM axle additive and then do figure of 8 turns, it should allow the clutches to slip more and the popping noise should go away.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:20 PM
Launching!

The popping honestly feels like binding and i can feel it pop, is it really that bad without posi additive?
Old 03-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Launching!

Yes, you can feel the wheels jarring and the car shaking and it's very very noticable.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
Yes that is a posi and what you hear is clutch chatter. Eitehr the posi is too tight but I doubt it since it has preload springs in it so no one attempted to tune the posi and shimmed it too tight. Add 2 bottles of GM axle additive and then do figure of 8 turns, it should allow the clutches to slip more and the popping noise should go away.
The above is the right answer. Do what he says.

Al 95 Z28
Old 03-20-2012, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

x3..........thats sounds about right.

that additive is some good stufffff.

good luck!
Old 03-20-2012, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Not to be a thread jacker here but I have a stock 01 Trans Am and I have only driven it a hand full of times but tonight after I beat on it a little bit, I noticed a light popping noise coming from the rear end on a sweeping low speed (20-25mph) curve. The axle did not hop nor did it feel like it was binding up. The noise was not always present in turns. The noise sounded like it was out of the left rear. I made some tighter turns but could not duplicate the noise in a tight turn. I do know the rear pinion seal is leaking but I topped off the fluid saturday for the time being. Any suggestion as to what the noise might be?
Old 03-20-2012, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by twitch32
Not to be a thread jacker here but I have a stock 01 Trans Am and I have only driven it a hand full of times but tonight after I beat on it a little bit, I noticed a light popping noise coming from the rear end on a sweeping low speed (20-25mph) curve. The axle did not hop nor did it feel like it was binding up. The noise was not always present in turns. The noise sounded like it was out of the left rear. I made some tighter turns but could not duplicate the noise in a tight turn. I do know the rear pinion seal is leaking but I topped off the fluid saturday for the time being. Any suggestion as to what the noise might be?
Your Trans Am had a Torson differential completely different than what's in this thread.

Al 95 Z28
Old 03-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Launching!

Added the posi additive, still popping. This may be a dumb question, but arent the original springs on the eatons yellow? Why are mine purple? What other possibilities could there be for this problem?
Old 03-22-2012, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2kblackgtp
Added the posi additive, still popping. This may be a dumb question, but arent the original springs on the eatons yellow? Why are mine purple? What other possibilities could there be for this problem?

did you do the figure 8 a few times while driving it after the fluid?
Old 03-22-2012, 06:20 PM
Launching!

Yeah, I did for about 15 minutes. Also, I used 80w90 nonsynthetic gear oil if that makes any difference
Old 03-22-2012, 09:26 PM
Launching!

The springs should not be able to add so much preload that it will pop and hammer the clutches. Who did that posi? It could be that someone shimmed the clutch packs way too tight and had to force the spider hears in palce and then buttoned it up. Can you check how much break away torque you need to apply to get the posi to slip? With posi tuning you throw away the springs and shim the posi so that the clutches just start to grab, that they are just tight when the spiders are isntalled and there is minimal if any play in the whole spider gear arrangement. If the posi then slips the gear action will force sht episder gears apart, this presses the clutch pack tighter together. The factory does not shim these things as meticulous as that so they add the preload springs. It coulv be that someone got it all too tight.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Launching!

So someone potentially left the preload springs AND shimmed it to make it too tight? I bought it off a member on here who said it had a locker, possible they shimmed too tight, said screw it and tryed to pass it off to someone else? Would I be better off just buying a new posi or should i try to rebuild/ reshim it myself?

One other thing I noticed is it is MUCH quieter before the car is heated up, is it possible that it stays quiet because the gear oil is thicker cold? Could I possibly quiet it up for now by adding 140wt gear oil to the diff instead of 90wt?
Old 03-22-2012, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kblackgtp
Who told you that was an Eaton?
Old 03-22-2012, 11:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Case kinda looks like this:

http://www.justdifferentials.com/ind...oducts_id=3768
Old 03-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Launching!

It is an auburn, not an eaton but both are the same style wet clutch type.

Didn't you notice any improvement? What oil did you initially put in it? With or without some additive?? How many bottles did you add??
Old 03-23-2012, 03:50 PM
Launching!

I didn't know auburn made a posi for a 12 bolt. I did notice an improvement compared to before I put the posi additive in, but it isn't as good as before I changed the fluid(before I changed the fluid, I was getting the binding when parking, now it sounds pretty much perfect until the car heats up, then it is noisy in lighter turns and a little noisey in parking). I initially put in regular 80w90 lucas gear oil, then after I was told it was a posi by you guys I added 2 bottles of the gm limited slip additive...

Should I mix a quart of 80w90 & 1 quart of 140wt with the posi additive premixed, then add two bottles of the gm stuff? I'm not sure if that could quiet it down compared to 2 quarts of the regular 80w90 with 2 bottle od limited slip additive. Or should I just quit on it now and install a new posi
Old 03-23-2012, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would try 1 more bottle of the additive to what you already have in there & see what happens?
Old 03-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Launching!

Yeah? ill go for it I suppose
Old 03-24-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

Don't forget to make a tight circle in both directions after you add the friction modifier. Ford's XL-3 additive works well, so does GM's 105235. Be careful with cheap auto parts store crap. Winn's is good and Mobile and others make rear end oil with it already in it.

There is an off chance that your LS unit is damaged. If the modifier doesn't cure the problem you may want to take the LS unit apart and look it over. Not that it will help a lot, parts are hard to come by.

Al 95 Z28

Quick Reply: What carrier is this? And is this noise normal?