Go Back   LS1TECH > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > Gears & Axles
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Gears & Axles
Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana
Sponsored by
JawsGear

Need Help....Ring and Pinion Questions??

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
Teching In
 
randytj's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 28
Default Need Help....Ring and Pinion Questions??

I have a 98 SS, I believe it has a 3:42 rear end.
I want to change to a 4:10 rear end.

What do I need to look for.....what is the ring gear size, and I think I read something about two different - thinner or thicker ring gears??

I just want to make sure I buy the right thing.


Thanks for any advice.
__________________
1998 Camaro SS Convertible, LS1 6-speed, SLP AIr Box, Flowmaster Duals,
randytj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
TECH Resident
 
Trader Rating: 5
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NH/MA
Posts: 876
Default

should be 7.5/7.625. Most folks say motives or yukons are quietest, Richmond's are noisest. I recommend you read the stickys, do a lot of searching.

Are you doing this yourself?
therabidweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
TECH Regular
 
Jr.Samples's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Keller Tx
Posts: 414
Default

I put 4.10s in my 97 Formula. They are the Summit house brand. I set the backlash a little on the tight side. They whine on coast but not a real big deal.
__________________
97 Formula 6 speed, 4.10 R/A
Jr.Samples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
11 Second Club
 
SS SLP2's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 8
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: SILSBEE TX
Posts: 1,783
Default

correct 7.50 and 7.62 both will work for you

"...something about two different - thinner or thicker ring gears??"

you need a thin ring, if your SS had came with a 2.73 gear in this case you would need a thick ring
I do not think any SS came with 2.73 gear ( series 2)
Johnny
__________________
Y2K SS (SLP #239)
Black , T-tops, A4, NA, Race weigh 3747#
Completly STOCK heads/bore/stroke/weight
& NOTHING else ------is stock
"NAW-NAW- just a Sunday goto meeting car,my best time is not in the 12's- any more"
I am NOT soliciting as I have retired
>>align info: http://www.jgruggles.com
SS SLP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:58 AM   #5
Teching In
 
randytj's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS SLP2 View Post
correct 7.50 and 7.62 both will work for you

"...something about two different - thinner or thicker ring gears??"

you need a thin ring, if your SS had came with a 2.73 gear in this case you would need a thick ring
I do not think any SS came with 2.73 gear ( series 2)
Johnny
I have a 3:42 rear end......I guess I need series 3 thin ring.
__________________
1998 Camaro SS Convertible, LS1 6-speed, SLP AIr Box, Flowmaster Duals,
randytj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
11 Second Club
 
Ethan[ws6]'s Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 13
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 849
Send a message via AIM to Ethan[ws6]
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by therabidweasel View Post
should be 7.5/7.625. Most folks say motives or yukons are quietest, Richmond's are noisest. I recommend you read the stickys, do a lot of searching.

Are you doing this yourself?
Brand does not indicate whether a gear set will whine or not. If set up properly it will be quiet no matter what the brand is. I have set up several richmond gear sets and never had a single one whine.
__________________
Ethan[ws6] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
Teching In
 
randytj's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by therabidweasel View Post
should be 7.5/7.625. Most folks say motives or yukons are quietest, Richmond's are noisest. I recommend you read the stickys, do a lot of searching.

Are you doing this yourself?


Originally I was going to try it myself, now I am leaning toward having a friend who has a shop do it for me.
__________________
1998 Camaro SS Convertible, LS1 6-speed, SLP AIr Box, Flowmaster Duals,
randytj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #8
TECH Regular
 
Jr.Samples's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Keller Tx
Posts: 414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan[ws6] View Post
Brand does not indicate whether a gear set will whine or not. If set up properly it will be quiet no matter what the brand is. I have set up several richmond gear sets and never had a single one whine.
Shelbyville? Used to live out that way. I don't agree totally with your statement. Yes you are correct saying a correctly set up gear according to the specs on the R/P will produce minimal whine but that is not the only factor.

The way a manufacture cuts the gears is huge. Factory is cut for no whine but some aftermarket gears are cut a little straighter for strength and will produce more whine,

What is the difference between a muncie M21/M20 and a M22 trans? M22 is much stronger and whines like a bitch! Inspect the gears and you will know what I am talking about.

Wish I still lived in Greenwood. Oh well.
__________________
97 Formula 6 speed, 4.10 R/A
Jr.Samples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
TECH Senior Member
 
01ssreda4's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 88
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Turnin' Wrenches Infractions: 005
Posts: 19,828
Default

Motive GM75410 is the part number you need.
__________________

01 SS Rally Red A4 #4987, 04 Yukon XL Denali, 99 Cadillac STS-SOLD
01ssreda4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
11 Second Club
 
Ethan[ws6]'s Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 13
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 849
Send a message via AIM to Ethan[ws6]
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.Samples View Post
Shelbyville? Used to live out that way. I don't agree totally with your statement. Yes you are correct saying a correctly set up gear according to the specs on the R/P will produce minimal whine but that is not the only factor.

The way a manufacture cuts the gears is huge. Factory is cut for no whine but some aftermarket gears are cut a little straighter for strength and will produce more whine,

What is the difference between a muncie M21/M20 and a M22 trans? M22 is much stronger and whines like a bitch! Inspect the gears and you will know what I am talking about.

Wish I still lived in Greenwood. Oh well.
You can set up any gear set to accommodate for shitty manufacturing. Like I said, I've set up a ton of 10/12bolts and 9" and have never once had a set whine. I've used a handfull of different gear set manufacturers also.
__________________
Ethan[ws6] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:38 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird




Paid Advertisement
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB: 3.42 ring and pinion 3 series rear end vogun16 Parts Wanted 3 09-26-2012 04:05 PM
3.73 gears 99JoeT/A New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech 9 05-04-2012 06:57 AM
Camaro rear gears ali777 Gears & Axles 3 09-20-2011 09:13 AM
Need a good site for instruction on rear end gear install 99camssconv Gears & Axles 4 01-17-2011 07:27 PM
whats bad? carrier, ring & pinion or bearings? jdhedman Gears & Axles 5 01-31-2010 04:29 PM


Tags
1998, 75, 762, 97, backlash, camaro, end, gears, greenwoodin, lt1, pinion, pinon, rear, ring, sets, thin, ws6


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



Join Ls1Tech

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Service - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - JOBS
Emails & Contact Details