Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 12 bolt making odd noise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Moser 12 bolt making odd noise?

Just got my 12 bolt in and when ever I turn like in a parking lot and with out a load (clutch disingaged or out of gear) it makes a clunky noise but when in gear it never makes it. some one told me because they are Motive gears they are set up for more back lash and because of that they have the room to rattle, and he told me it is just somthing I'll have to get used to because of the gears, oh yea here is the set up i have, Moser 12 bolt 33 spline hardend axles, Motive 4.30 gears and Moser girtle and posi. any help please...

Thanks
Mike
Old 03-31-2004, 10:01 PM
Launching!

I have a SLP posi 10bolt that does the same damn thing. Sometimes when i disengage the clutch from a slow roll it clanks kinda loud. I just recently purchased a moser 12 bolt myself, and am waiting on it to arrive. Did you replace your LCA's or any other suspension? You may also what to check you pinion angle and make sure its in the right range. I think standard is about -2.

TTT

Nakoz
Old 03-31-2004, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Yea I have BMR LCA's and ajustable Pan hard rod how do you check your pinion angle?
Old 04-01-2004, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah, how do you check the pinion angle??
Old 04-01-2004, 06:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z28dan
Yeah, how do you check the pinion angle??
You can place an angle finder with a magnetic base on the bottom of your torque arm.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:51 PM
Launching!

Yea, you would use the angle finder. Ususally you get one when you order a torque arm or other parts from BMR. You can probly pick on up online from BMR or another suspension place. It looks kind of like a little round scale with a magnetic side. You will want to place it on the bottom of the tourque arm closest to the pinion. Your pinion angle can range any where from +1 to -3.

Hope this helps,

Nakoz
Old 04-02-2004, 03:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Nakoz
Yea, you would use the angle finder. Ususally you get one when you order a torque arm or other parts from BMR. You can probly pick on up online from BMR or another suspension place. It looks kind of like a little round scale with a magnetic side. You will want to place it on the bottom of the tourque arm closest to the pinion. Your pinion angle can range any where from +1 to -3.

Hope this helps,

Nakoz
What should the angle be? 0?
Old 04-02-2004, 05:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z28dan
What should the angle be? 0?
I think you would just have to play with it to see what angle is best. You could start at zero. Of course, your torque arm would need to be an adjustable type.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My Moser rattles/clunks/bangs around slow turns with the clutch disengaged like you wouldn't believe. It's did it since day one and I've been in plenty of other cars with the same rear that didn't do it. Always thought it was odd.

Using the additive doesn't make a difference, I just live with it. I figure if there was something really wrong, it would've happened by now.