Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear end question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 06:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end question

previous owner replaced the rear end in my car. 2000 TA with an M6. it's a 3-channel instead of 4 now. when the low traction light comes on (wet road, dirt/gravel on the pavement, etc.. when i start to go), the gas pedal becomes stiff as ****. is that normal? also, it doesn't have TCS, but would it still have posi-traction/ limited slip or whatever? lol i don't do burnouts. tires costs to much for me to do that on a regular basis, and i don't want to risk breaking the 10-bolt. probably only reason why i haven't put 4.10 gears in it yet.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure a low trac light indicates you do have tcs. When tcs first engages it tries to push your foot off the gas pedal. If you keep your foot in it, it will hit the brakes.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:44 AM
Launching!

can i have tcs even though it says it's off on the instrument cluster? the light almost always says tcs off and flicking the switch doesn't do anything. also, the light could be off, and then it'll just come on on it's own.

i still want to find out if it has limited slip and what gear ratio. i don't know what they changed when they threw the new rear on there. i know the gearing ain't the same. speedometer is off after i hit 55
Old 10-15-2012, 01:45 AM
Launching!

lol and i just saw your location. funny
Old 10-15-2012, 04:54 AM
TECH Resident

If tcs is switching on and off by itself are you also getting the abs inop and/or brake lights? If so it means something is up with your wheel speed sensors, typically runout on the reluctor wheel(s) on the rear. Abs inop is dangerous, if you are getting it pull the big brake fuse until you can fix it.

If it is just tcs I can't say for sure, but 4ch to 3ch conversion is non-trivial...search on here to see what is involved. Were it done, I would think that you, shouldn't see that light come on at all.

Gear ratio is easy, put it on stands, put it in neutral and count the number of ds turns it takes to turn the wheel one revolution. To be sure on the LSD you can pull the cover and look at the diff. Yellow springs is the clutch type auburn, weird looking worm screws is a torsen, and of course open spiders is an open diff. If you don't care about type just spin the tires and see if both wheels lay rubber.

I'm in NH and I like it here a lot, people are nice, hunting is good. It reminds me of Arkansas were it a very wealthy state with awful food. I also love Arkansas, one of my favorite places...if I could make a living there its probably where I'd live.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Launching!

ABS is fine. and yea, it's hard to find a good job here in Arkansas
Old 10-15-2012, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

I can't see your sig cause I'm on a mobile, where are you? I didn't know you were in Ar. I've spent a lot of time down around Fordyce, Benton county, and done a lot of rock climbing at Mt. Mag. And Sam's throne. I'm from OKC, family in Ark...nearly home to me
Have a look at your backing plates and see if you have a 2 wire sensor on each rear wheel. If you do, that's a 4 channel rear. If it is and you have a dial indicator with a lever arm you can pull the tire(s) and measure the runout on the reluctor wheel...you want it as low as you can get it. If it really is 3ch...previous owner may have done something weird, I'd have no idea what it could be though.

Afterthought: before dorking with the reluctors you might check for codes. I believe it will tell you which wheel is a problem. .that wheel could have a bad sensor too.

Last edited by therabidweasel; 10-15-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:27 AM
Launching!

i'm about an hour away from Fayetteville over in madison county
Old 10-16-2012, 05:59 AM
TECH Resident

Cool man...you are in a pretty rural area huh? I've only driven through that part a couple of times.

Your problem is weird. It sounds like the tcs may be pushing on your foot but the abs inop isn't turning on...post up if you have a remedy, it would really help to know if your wheelspeed sensor wires are hooked up and to where. Like I said, he may have done something weird.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:01 PM
Launching!

i'll take a look at it this weekend.

Quick Reply: rear end question