Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Help with AXELS!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 09:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with AXELS!!!!!

I found out my rear passenger axel is damaged in a way.i got the car not too long ago it's a 99 camaro z28,I started moddeing it fast,till a buddy told me that my rear tire seemed to wobble .witch ivd never felt the car shake or any thing in the rear.ivd taken it out of town and run it a few times at te local track.never givin me any problems till they told me.so I lifted the car from the rear put her in drive and sure I saw it.tire was wobbling.i took tire off and did the same thing.therefore I'm assuming the axel is bad,the previous owner must of hit a curb.since the front rim is dented a little.
My questions are ,
Will it get any more damaged if I keep using the car mean while I fix it? Like I mentioned it never gave me problems..

Can I use any axel out of a 98-02 fbody? Does it have to come Out of a car with asr?

Thanks for reading ,any input is appreciated !
Old 10-20-2012, 09:52 PM

You need spell check... Why not just pull the axle and check it? Sounds bent to me, but might as well pull it and see...
Old 10-20-2012, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your axle is bent and wheel wobbling the brake pad and rotor on that wheel is probably pretty screwed up as well. If you have traction control you need the axle with the ring on it, I would look at car-part.com to find it in a salvage yard.

If you have never pulled an axle before it is not that hard. Get the back of the car on jack stands so the rear end hangs down (easier to get to). You are going to need a new gasket for the cover and might as well put new gear oil in it. When you get the cover off you will figure out how the c clips work that hold the axle in. Once the clip is out and the brake caliper removed it should just slide out. Stick in the new/used axle, clean the gasket surface well for the cover, put it back on (torque evenly), fill up with gear oil and you are good to go. There is probably a better write up on here somewhere but again I would say this is not a hard job.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Schiffy
You need spell check... Why not just pull the axle and check it? Sounds bent to me, but might as well pull it and see...
Yea lol I was in a hurry.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 3Camaros
If your axle is bent and wheel wobbling the brake pad and rotor on that wheel is probably pretty screwed up as well. If you have traction control you need the axle with the ring on it, I would look at car-part.com to find it in a salvage yard.

If you have never pulled an axle before it is not that hard. Get the back of the car on jack stands so the rear end hangs down (easier to get to). You are going to need a new gasket for the cover and might as well put new gear oil in it. When you get the cover off you will figure out how the c clips work that hold the axle in. Once the clip is out and the brake caliper removed it should just slide out. Stick in the new/used axle, clean the gasket surface well for the cover, put it back on (torque evenly), fill up with gear oil and you are good to go. There is probably a better write up on here somewhere but again I would say this is not a hard job.
Thanks for the heads up ! But it does sound like thier screwed,right?
Old 10-20-2012, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1_MEANZ28
Thanks for the heads up ! But it does sound like thier screwed,right?
If you can see the wheel wobbling, either the wheel or the axle is bent. I think most of the wheels out there will break instead of bending but if you want to be sure it is the axle try one of the other wheels in that location.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:47 AM
10 Second Club

Yea true.another thing is that this cars is currently my daily driver ,can anything else go bad if I keep driving it that way?... I never noticed the problem till they told me.sothat means I have been driving the car like this for a while with out me knowing that it had a bent axel
Old 10-21-2012, 11:41 AM

If you can see the wheel wobbling, either the wheel or the axle is bent. I think most of the wheels out there will break instead of bending but if you want to be sure it is the axle try one of the other wheels in that location.
I think the OP said he lifted the car and pulled the wheel, then put it in drive and it still wobbled. Sounds like the axle is bent. To the OP, my buddy hit a curb in his 92 Mustang a few years back, kept driving it around, and the wobble Knarled up the splines, if the Fbody is set up the same, I would say you're putting your rear internals in jeopardy if you continue to drive it, but I could be wrong. I've done mustangs for the last 20+ years, this is my first endeavor into fbodies, so the reared might be different...
Old 10-21-2012, 01:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Schiffy
I think the OP said he lifted the car and pulled the wheel, then put it in drive and it still wobbled. Sounds like the axle is bent. To the OP, my buddy hit a curb in his 92 Mustang a few years back, kept driving it around, and the wobble Knarled up the splines, if the Fbody is set up the same, I would say you're putting your rear internals in jeopardy if you continue to drive it, but I could be wrong. I've done mustangs for the last 20+ years, this is my first endeavor into fbodies, so the reared might be different...
Yea man I get you.and it's true I'm more than sure it's bent.im having a hard time finding a used one.i was told that it has to be a axel out of a fbody that had asr/traction control.if not it wont work :/
Old 10-21-2012, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

The cars with traction control are called 4 channel. There is a sensor on each axle that looks at the ring (kind of behind the rotor). Without traction control it is called a three channel and there is one sensor in the center of the rear end.

If you want used check Car-part.com Looks like they are out there for as low as $75. Probably some the sponsors on here selling new ones.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:38 PM

The cars with traction control are called 4 channel. There is a sensor on each axle that looks at the ring (kind of behind the rotor). Without traction control it is called a three channel and there is one sensor in the center of the rear end.

If you want used check Car-part.com Looks like they are out there for as low as $75. Probably some the sponsors on here selling new ones.
Where at in Houston are you? I just left there last Wednesday after a friends wedding and seeing my family.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

Here you go
https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...tor-rings.html
Old 10-21-2012, 10:28 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks man

Quick Reply: Help with AXELS!!!!!