Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

has anyone actually welded the spider gears up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 441 Likes on 336 Posts

Default has anyone actually welded the spider gears up?

My car is a 96 formula M6 ive been doing some drifting, but I can only drift turning left.
If I turn to the right AT ALL it will peg leg untill I let off the throttle.
I know I have the LSD but my pinon bearing is going down so Im doing a 4.10 gear swap and thinking about welding the spider gears.

I searched and searched but could only find people saying the axles will break, the rear wont make it out of the driveway, you will not be able to turn in a parking lot, yada, yada, yada...... But then I read on and none of them have ever even welded there gears or had a spool.
I drive the car to work and back witch is 4 turns and about 20 miles ROUND TRIP, the rest of my driving is pleasure and drifting would be a HUGE pleasure if the rearend was more predictable.

I plan on saving up for a 12 bolt or 9" or finding a 8.8 to swap in eventually but im broke as hell right now.

my car is a STOCK except full exhaust and I plan on keeping the traction deprived 235's on it so I can slide easy.

Wow this post was longer than I was planning on... ANY opinons will be nice

Thanks

Last edited by Ls7colorado; 11-24-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I did it to mine after the posi was worn out. It never gave me any problems, but it was mostly a weekend warrior car.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the info, anyone else?
Old 11-24-2012, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welded spider gears (or a Lincoln Locker, as it's known) won't cause anything to explode. What it will cause is your inside tire to spin on pretty much EVERY turn you make.
My buddies and I have done it to offroaders, when buying a real locker was too expensive, or when a locker broke on the trail, but it's not something I'd care to live with on the street. Too annoying.

Look into lunchbox lockers for your rear. They're pretty much dirt cheap and won't scream in every corner.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dirty Dog
Welded spider gears (or a Lincoln Locker, as it's known) won't cause anything to explode. What it will cause is your inside tire to spin on pretty much EVERY turn you make.
My buddies and I have done it to offroaders, when buying a real locker was too expensive, or when a locker broke on the trail, but it's not something I'd care to live with on the street. Too annoying.

Look into lunchbox lockers for your rear. They're pretty much dirt cheap and won't scream in every corner.
I don't think any will fit my LSD carrier.
I'm not to worried about the inside tire scrubbing on sharp turns I don't drive in town much if ever. Mostly country back roads and highways.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i welded my (open) rear in my 82 z28. not wasting money for this rearend. it now has a healthy 383 behind it, so not sure how long it has left. but i nvr had a problem, i mean tight turns it will kick, parallel parking will suck and sometimes the tires chirp around the turns. but its basically free so take it as it is.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks im gonna go for it if I can find some good used 4.10's
Old 12-03-2012, 07:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you drifting on a closed course, or on public roads... just trying to decide if i should steer clear of Jackson, TN until you post back that you have drifted your car into a curb or pole and its no longer drivable.

As for welding your spider gears, it will work, you will only have straight line traction and driving in the rain will be near impossible. If your broke now, wait until you need tires every 1,000 miles from the additional wear because of the loss of a limited slip feature.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyducati
are you drifting on a closed course, or on public roads... just trying to decide if i should steer clear of Jackson, TN until you post back that you have drifted your car into a curb or pole and its no longer drivable.

As for welding your spider gears, it will work, you will only have straight line traction and driving in the rain will be near impossible. If your broke now, wait until you need tires every 1,000 miles from the additional wear because of the loss of a limited slip feature.
I agree. Also, If they are not welded correctly, you just made your existing weak rear axle even weaker.

They do make insert lockers for the 7.5 10 bolt which will replace your existing LSD. Basically you will gut the carrier and only use the carrier. Spiders, clutches and plates will all be removed.

However, regardless of what anyone says, it does not make your rear any stronger. It will still only be as strong as the carrier, axles and gears.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go pick up a cheap open diff out of an s10 pickup and buy a mini spool. Be better than what you're planning.

Quick Reply: has anyone actually welded the spider gears up?