Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How hard to install 9"?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default How hard to install 9"?

I've been looking into a MWC 9" possibly if I can get the price down a bit. So installing and painting it myself can save me almost $400.00. I've never installed a rear end or taken one out so I was wondering what all is involved doing it in my garage. I would have them assemble it for sure.

Are any special tools needed?
Are the brake lines a pain to re-secure?
What exactly has to be transferred over from my car besides brakes/ rotors?
Does anyone have a link to a write up possibly with pictures? I searched and couldn't find anything.

I did my own H/C/I/E successfully so I have some mechanical skills, just not a gear head by any stretch.

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2013, 01:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you did your cam and heads install then the rear end will be a walk in the park. No special tools needed, just a little patience. I have done MANY swaps in my driveway.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Its not hard at all. If you managed to do a heads/cam swap a rearend is nothing. The new rearend will have the tabs on it all ready to hold the lines. I just disconnected the brake hose before the T. Pulled the 10 bolt out and then took the brakes and lines from one rearend to the other. The little tabs that hold the brake lines just bend down over them to hold them. The only problem I had was wrestling it under the car and pinion angle. I was 160 lbs of 19year old at the time and I did it on jackstands by myself in my graveled driveway so dragging it under the car was a job by itself. Good Luck.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Installing is easy, the main issue is the weight for me. I had to lift mine out of the truck, onto jackstands, off jackstands onto a dolly, roll it on the car, etc. Everything myself. That bitch is heavy with brakes and center section and all, and the center section makes it a PITA because it leans towards the front a LOT (it wouldn't seem as heavy if the weight were more evenly distributed like the 12 or 10 bolt). It's pretty easy as far as bolting in though, because that's all it is, is a bolt in.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:32 PM
10 Second Club

You can assemble the rear yourself and save some $ that way it's really easy. I put mine together on jackstands and used a atv lift to slide it under the car.

Just take your time and you will be fine.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Ok, that's reassuring it's not a bad install. It will save me some cash and make getting it a little less painful. This thing is going to be more than my H/C package with all the trimmings. But once I started adding up a torqu arm, relo bracket, gears, LCA brackets, etc it's seems like a waste not to do it.

I'd still like to see a write up if anyone knows of one.

Last edited by BrntWS6; 05-01-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by swoop
You can assemble the rear yourself and save some $ that way it's really easy. I put mine together on jackstands and used a atv lift to slide it under the car.

Just take your time and you will be fine.

What is involved in assembling the rear? I assume you mean the center section?
Old 05-01-2013, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
Ok, that's reassuring it's not a bad install. It will save me some cash and make getting it a little less painful. This thing is going to be more than my H/C package with all the trimmings. But once I started adding up a torqu arm, relo bracket, gears, LCA brackets, etc it's seems like a waste not to do it.

I'd still like to see a write up if anyone knows of one.
I'm not sure there's much to write up. You unbolt the shocks, LCAs, PHB, driveshaft, torque arm, e brake cables, ABS/TCS if there, take it out, bolt it back in.

What is involved in assembling the rear? I assume you mean the center section?
You buy the center section pre assembled. That is not something a noob does. However once you have the center section, axles, etc. In a 9", it is as simple as putting the housing on jack stands, putting some RTV on the center section and housing for a good seal, bolting on the center section, then inserting the axles into the housing/center section and bolting them up. Very simple.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Guitar
I'm not sure there's much to write up. You unbolt the shocks, LCAs, PHB, driveshaft, torque arm, e brake cables, ABS/TCS if there, take it out, bolt it back in.
Could be why I never found a wire up on it...LOL

You buy the center section pre assembled. That is not something a noob does. However once you have the center section, axles, etc. In a 9", it is as simple as putting the housing on jack stands, putting some RTV on the center section and housing for a good seal, bolting on the center section, then inserting the axles into the housing/center section and bolting them up. Very simple.
Sounds easy enough, thanks.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.z28.com/archive/index.php/t-69915.html

Sorryn, cant remember the img code to link.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it's EASY, bro. Buy a 12 pack and have a friend to help (getting it into position by yourself would be a bitch)
Old 05-02-2013, 08:02 AM
Launching!

I have bolted a couple rear ends into second gens by myself. I ain't but 180 lbs, so you oughta be able to do it. Of course, a friend to help is always nice.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

The weight is what sucks. I had the pumpkin on a jack and reached in and grabbed the sway bar and started yanking to get it to slide back an inch so the Lcas would line up, and lo and behold the rear fell off the jack and crushed my index and middle fingers completely between the sway bar and teeth of the jack, all 200lbs of rear on 2 finger bones. Luckily I had a friend there who was able to jump under the car and free my fingers, but when I got them out they were about as thick as a Popsicle stick. Still damaged to this day. Make sure you have a friend around when you do it.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by therabidweasel
http://www.z28.com/archive/index.php/t-69915.html

Sorryn, cant remember the img code to link.

Wow, you rock bro....you can **** my sister

here is the full version with pretty pics http://www.z28.com/showthread.php?69...all-a-12-bolt&
Old 05-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Teching In

I didn't read all the posts, but if you are like me (not a mechanic), you can still do this upgrade. I just swapped out the stock rear and replaced it with the 9" IRS from Gforce. Now this being stated, I did have help, and with this guys help this would have been an all weekend job. We managed to do it under 3 hours. I have turned wrenches, but it's not my daily job.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:32 PM
10 Second Club

Wow, you rock bro....you can **** my sister

here is the full version with pretty pics http://www.z28.com/showthread.php?69...all-a-12-bolt&
We need pics of sister
Old 05-03-2013, 01:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

In for sister pics. Preferably n00dz
Old 05-03-2013, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

LOL....5 kids later she's rung out....Your not missing anything, plus she's crazy as ****.

I know I know, you guys don't care.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

correct, good sir... We do not.

Besides, as long as it wasn't an oral birth, I'm sure I could come away happy
Old 05-03-2013, 11:56 AM
10 Second Club

Bat **** crazy ones are good in the sack

Quick Reply: How hard to install 9"?