Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Not sure about gear pattern.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not sure about gear pattern.

I am changing the ring and pinion in my camaro to 3.73s. To me this gear pattern looks pretty good. I was wondering if some of you guys that have done them could take a look and let me know what you think! Thanks and hope these pics can help.

Also i did this with the old bearings on the pinion(grinded them to slide on and off) with no crush sleeve and the nut just tightened down to pull the bearing into place and keep the slack out. So i still have to install the pinion with the crush sleeve and torque it down. Will this change any patterns? I am trying to avoid having to use a bunch of crush sleeves and press the bearing on and off the pinion.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Whats your backlash set at? A little clearer pics would help but it does appear to be a blurry decent pattern
Old 07-01-2013, 09:37 AM
Staging Lane

Your pattern will change when you go to the new bearings for the final install. I did the same thing when I built my 10 bolt. The change won't go from a good pattern to a bad pattern but there will be a difference. If you want consistency it's best to modify some new bearings so they slip fit for setup work then use unmodified bearings for the final install.
The switch from used to new pinion bearings completely messed up my settings for the solid pinion spacer.
For myself I will never use old bearings as set-up bearings again.

For the gear pattern to stay the same from set-up to final install you have to torque everything to spec when checking the test pattern. This includes the carrier cap bolts and snug the pinion nut down till you get the correct rolling drag on the pinion, IMO otherwise you'll end up chasing your tail when the pattern keeps changing.

Last edited by Tom94TA; 07-01-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

Can I at least do it without the crush sleeve so I don't have to keep buying them?
Old 07-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Whats your backlash set at? A little clearer pics would help but it does appear to be a blurry decent pattern
Backlash is about. 0085.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rayman3550
Can I at least do it without the crush sleeve so I don't have to keep buying them?
Yes, there is no need to use a crush sleeve during setup. Grind the self-locking feature off the old pinion nut so it spins down by hand and use that for setup, but do tighten the pinion nut so that the rolling torque of the pinion is correct.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tom94TA
Yes, there is no need to use a crush sleeve during setup. Grind the self-locking feature off the old pinion nut so it spins down by hand and use that for setup, but do tighten the pinion nut so that the rolling torque of the pinion is correct.
Yah i have the nut grinder. I just tightened it so there wasn't play though. Didn't think it was necessary to get it to the right rolling torque
Old 07-01-2013, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

Check out this R&P install guide from Yukon Gear, it's very informative.

http://www.yukongear.com/Downloads/M...structions.pdf
Old 07-02-2013, 12:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by rayman3550
Yah i have the nut grinder. I just tightened it so there wasn't play though. Didn't think it was necessary to get it to the right rolling torque
I don't think it matters much. I have noticed that backlash tightens .001 when switching to new bearings.

Quick Reply: Not sure about gear pattern.