Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

oh no, not a 10 bolt rebuild question

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 12:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oh no, not a 10 bolt rebuild question

So,

My 10 bolt is whining. It whines in all gears usually on accel/decel I get the noise more and more and its getting louder and louder.

YES, I want to put a 9 inch in, NO I dont have the money right now.

I looked at rebuilding as the rebuild kits with shims and bearings are around 100-150 to get me by till I can do the swap.

Its a DD car and I just want to rebuild it to get me by I dont drag or track the car right now.

I however CANT FIND ANYTHING thats actually indepth on rebuilding these rear ends, just to replace and that they broke. I have yet to also open the diff cover too.

I can use the base auto hobby shop for this and they have all the tools id ever need(for the most part)

Anyways thanks guys
-Alex
Old 07-23-2013, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if your shop has the tools, I do not recommend learning on your DD. Trust me this is not an easy thing to pick up if you dont know someone that has already done it...you can get iy done fairly cheap, but R&R with a salvage unit would be my first choice on a budget.

For your first try youll need to buy everything twice and I strongly doubt your base hobby shop has all the tools you need to not buy extra everything. But I suppose it could. Can you leave your car there for days? GL.

http://www.pcmforless.com/index.php?...ches&Itemid=56

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/1550464-advice-those-thinking-doing-their-own-gears.html
Old 07-23-2013, 08:48 PM
Launching!

thanks for the info man, and I talked to them and was told they have what I need. Guy was doing a jeep rear rebuild when I was there. I wouldnt mind maybe buying a tool or two. I also have been looking for a junkyard rear to rebuild and swap in.

If need be I can leave my car there but id probably just pull my rear and bring the rear there than the whole car.

Hoping to get a 3 day weekend and spend the whole time there doing the build.

ALSO

Is the TIMKEN rebuild kit good? or correct? I dont mind buying two full kits as to be honest 200 now i can do, 2000 for the cheapest junkyard special center 9" meh cant really do that and wont be able for a while.

Last edited by silent_soul; 07-23-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

I would check all the tools first, 2 jaw puller, big *** bearing splitter for the inner pinion (which will probably still F the bearing, so buy extra and make setup bearings), big *** tapered and flat seal drivers, bearing puller and slide hammer for thIe axles, dial gauge, beam style torque wrench good to 20ish inch pounds, die grinder, cutoff wheel or dremel, cold chisel and a BFH, shop press and some random metal to press with...something soft to beat your head on and a water bottle full of vodka.

The keliente writeup is a good start, but it was not enough for my dumb ***. Hopefully you can learn from my mistakes in that second thread and the pattern thread.

Take your phone and get a photobucket account so you can post some pics of patterns when you get to that point.

Also, not familiar with jeep rearends, but Chevy rears are a pita...more so than a 9" anyway...although 9" axles have too many damn pieces...point is, tools may not be the same, so dont assume.

Timken make the best bearings IMO. Dont buy two kits, buy 2 sets of pinion bearings only. Keep every piece until your sure you're good...after 500 miles.

Last edited by therabidweasel; 07-23-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just put a differential in mine, then pulled it apart to put 410 gears in it. If you dont have a press, its really hard to adjust the shims on the pinion. This is the only tool I didnt have. I bought the dial indicator. I wouldnt reccomend doing it unless you have the right tools.

I have a lift also which made it alot easier.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

Just kidding on the vodka. Drinking and wrenching is a bad idea. Always go heroin or go home when wrenching. LOL. GL man, youll hate this, but its still kinda fun. let me know how it turns out.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

****, one more thing. No matter what you do you will end up with the wrong GD pinion seal. Step one is to take the new seal and see how it fits your pinion (can do while still installed in rear) Do some searching on here about the two versions.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine actually make some noise after I installed them but I only bought the gear set for $50 and its a 10 bolt, so it bound to break soon on my drag radials and power level. Good luck with the install, you have to take it apart about 10 times to get it correct. I see why people take to a place to get them installed.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:42 AM
Launching!

alright thanks guys, i may ask the shop on base what they want to rebuild it. most shops out in town are in the 1200 range.....which im not doing.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:38 AM
TECH Resident

Damn, do you live in NYC or something? I would expect 500-700 if you bring in the rear. Check with a 4wd shop...this is daily stuff for those guys.

Quick Reply: oh no, not a 10 bolt rebuild question