Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Stock 02 Z28 bearings making noise/gear time

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock 02 Z28 bearings making noise/gear time

My rear end in my Camaro has been making whine noises on deceleration and at certain speeds and after some research, found it's probably the carrier bearing or some other bearing. So, I figured now is a better time than ever to get some 4.10s put in. I'd like to pretty much just replace everything all at once just so I don't have to go back to it.

What am I looking to get? This is my list so far:

- Non-Richmond brand 4.10 gears (Motive, Yukon, ?) $150-200
- Master kit (for bearings, etc) $100-150
- Labor $300+

I don't have the skills for rear end work, so I'm having it done (after asking around to who can actually set it up properly). Am I forgetting anything?

EDIT: Just looked on HawksThirdGenParts.com and found these gears with kit:
http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/pr...inion-Set.html
Has these in the kit:
* Pinion bearings
* Pinion shims
* Carrier bearings
* Carrier shims
* Crush sleeve
* Pinion seal and nut
* Ring gear bolts
* Cover gasket

$300. Seems like that's what I'm headed towards.

Last edited by Fracture; 01-16-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll probably get a lot of comments to just save the money for a 9-inch, which I suggest as well. Can you drive without fear of the rear coming apart?
Old 01-17-2014, 12:07 AM
Staging Lane

How much more is a 9-inch than parts+labor for the stuff I have planned? I don't plan on doing anything crazy to it, aside from mostly bolt ons. I never take it to the track, just a daily driver that I'd like to have some fun in on occasion, which is why I haven't really looked into a stronger rearend.

And I'm hoping to do something about the rear within the next week or two.. I do too much driving to risk much more than that.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:41 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fracture
How much more is a 9-inch than parts+labor for the stuff I have planned?
Thousands.

It's easy for everyone to say "go 9/12" but it's not always in everyone's budget.

You may want to consider a Ratech "smart" crush sleeve, LPW cap studs and girdle for extra strength especially if you're going to run a lower (numerically higher) gear.

Don't forget two bottles of synthetic gear oil (99-02 Torsen requires synthetic; no limited slip additive is necessary with synthetic).
Old 01-17-2014, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Motive GM75410 is what you want. Ratech offers rebuild kits for around $100 without wheel bearings/seals or about $130 with. That's what I'd go with, I've had tons of success with this combo.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, okay, well based on what you are saying a rebuild makes sense, but keep in mind 4.10's will be weaker than say, 3.42s.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Motive GM75410 is what you want. Ratech offers rebuild kits for around $100 without wheel bearings/seals or about $130 with. That's what I'd go with, I've had tons of success with this combo.
I've found all that on WS6Store I believe. Well, the gears are G875410, not GM75410. Is that any difference?
Originally Posted by Grimes
Yeah, okay, well based on what you are saying a rebuild makes sense, but keep in mind 4.10's will be weaker than say, 3.42s.
Understood. I don't beat on my car, I dump the clutch maybe once a week, if that. Like I said, I have a little fun in my car, but I don't do burnouts every stoplight and hardly come close to redline shifts really.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes there is a difference. GMxxxxx are Motive's street gears, with a nice smooth cut on the face and are typically dead silent and very forgiving when being setup. G8xxxxx are Motive's upgraded gear. I believe the alloy is harder and the gear cut may be more aggressive. These are less forgiving when being setup from my experience. I've run both, currently running G8s in my 12 bolt.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:40 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fracture
Understood. I don't beat on my car, I dump the clutch maybe once a week, if that. Like I said, I have a little fun in my car, but I don't do burnouts every stoplight and hardly come close to redline shifts really.
In my experience, it's not so much the beating on the car that causes the issue; rather, it's traction. If you've got a street tire that doesn't dead hook, then you're likely alright. My inability to afford a stronger rear is the only reason I have continued to run the all-season tires that the previous owner put on my car -- they just spin.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Yes there is a difference. GMxxxxx are Motive's street gears, with a nice smooth cut on the face and are typically dead silent and very forgiving when being setup. G8xxxxx are Motive's upgraded gear. I believe the alloy is harder and the gear cut may be more aggressive. These are less forgiving when being setup from my experience. I've run both, currently running G8s in my 12 bolt.
Do they run the same price?
Originally Posted by demonspeed
In my experience, it's not so much the beating on the car that causes the issue; rather, it's traction. If you've got a street tire that doesn't dead hook, then you're likely alright. My inability to afford a stronger rear is the only reason I have continued to run the all-season tires that the previous owner put on my car -- they just spin.
I have stock rims with 50-60% tires (unsure of brand off the top of my head) so theres some traction but they're certainly not slicks.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

The G8 or orange box motives are slightly more expensive I believe.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

My GM75410 gears and Ratech complete kit come UPS today. Got axle bearings/seals and 2 quarts of synthetic limited slip Valvoline 75w-90 gear oil today too. Have an appointment Friday to get it all done. Quoted at about $500 for labor, so all in all, about $700 for parts/labor.

Quick Reply: Stock 02 Z28 bearings making noise/gear time