Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

strange s60 with strac or not

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default strange s60 with strac or not

I need a rear asap and for the price the s60 with strac sounds amazing but searching the forums has brought nothing but bad reviews. My rears going to die any day and I need a good rear asap for my daily driven 6speed camaro. Btw I should have atleast 600 at the wheels with my new setup im just afraid to put it on the dyno until I get a rear.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:47 PM
Banned

The S Trac is a VERY good posi. What was bad being said about it???
Old 01-25-2015, 06:51 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by johnny89345
I need a rear asap and for the price the s60 with strac sounds amazing but searching the forums has brought nothing but bad reviews. My rears going to die any day and I need a good rear asap for my daily driven 6speed camaro. Btw I should have atleast 600 at the wheels with my new setup im just afraid to put it on the dyno until I get a rear.

I've not seen the bad reviews. We have lots of happy customers with the S60 and most are using the Strac, the rest chose a spool.

Originally Posted by high n dry
The S Trac is a VERY good posi. What was bad being said about it???

My thoughts too, its not only a very good posi but I know of nothing better anywhere at any price.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...k-savings.html
Old 01-25-2015, 03:46 PM
Launching!

You know what the problem is, you do a google search on reviews and all you see is people posting their horror storys.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:29 PM
10 Second Club

You know what the problem is, you do a google search on reviews and all you see is people posting their horror storys.
Sad but true...
Old 01-25-2015, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

Here's a positive review for yeah jus install a S60 with a spool in a 1998 camaro. Install was just as easy as removing the 10 bolt. It's freaking awesome, no issues what so ever..

Just contact Carl he will take care of you....

Go S60 and never look back...
Old 01-25-2015, 06:06 PM
12 Second Club

As Carl said the S-trac is great but at some elevated hp on slicks for a full on drag car a spool would be better, but that is true of any posi. I work with a guy that runs a Dana 60/spool to 9.0 @ 150 with a trans brake (not F-body). No worries with a S60!
Old 01-25-2015, 09:17 PM
FormerVendor

Please help Me out here, I do not know what the problem is, never heard this before today! Just did a google search as You suggested, here is the search I used- " strange S60 with strac reviews" No bad reviews. Could You share what You typed for a search?

I'm not saying there are none, I just cannot find them nor have I heard of them. Out of several hundred S60 customers I've had 4 ever complain and 2 had to send their S60 with Strac back to Strange.

Carl
Old 01-26-2015, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The only negative I can find is its weight. Which really only matters in auto x or road racing. I think most drivers aren't competitive enough to notice the difference anyways though, including myself.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

We have sold several S-60 with the S-Trac and I can't recall one dissatisfied customer to this point.. We have been part of the S-Trac since before it hit the market testing it in one of our fabricated nine inches in a 9 second 6-speed F-Body and it took all the abuse we could give it with wheels up launches..
Old 01-26-2015, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought an s60 with an s-trac from Carl at CRP last year and have been extremley happy with it. He told me he has customers with some serious HP using the s-trac and has not heard any issues with them. The install was cake and its very quiet. For the price IMO you cant beat it.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I put my s60 in about 1 year ago. I have since put a lot of miles on it. Havent had to touch a thing. Everything factory bolted right in including my 4 channel abs. I ordered mine with the axle bearings loose so I could drive my car till it got here. I didn't have time to send the backing plates in and I wasn't gonna buy new ones. Install was easy with a press. Factory everything bolted right up. No complaints at all. I got mine with the 4.10 gears. I even got the correct driveshaft from them with it with u joints and the yoke ready to bolt in and roll.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:26 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

S60 is for sure the best bang for the buck right now, and we have never had any failure issues or complaints for that matter. It is a heavy beast for sure, but if you are just a weekend street guy the extra cost of a lightweight 9" rear like the MWC fabricated setup you will pay a bit more for that.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by blackandgold
The only negative I can find is its weight. Which really only matters in auto x or road racing. I think most drivers aren't competitive enough to notice the difference anyways though, including myself.
I don't agree. The objective of 95% of people here is to go faster in one way or another. Weight (weight, parasitic drag, and weight causing parasitic drag) is the enemy of everyone wanting better performance. The objective of the fastest are go the fastest you can with the lightest/reliable parts possible. For perspective, your car will always perform better with a stock 10 bolt. Why? It's lighter and has very low parasitic drag. Is it reliable? Well that depends on HP level. At the point you need something better I think you should choose the lightest but still reliable part to replace your inadequate part. I chose a 12 bolt, first with a posi, now swapped to a spool. And for everyone who carries your opinion it gives me an advantage to go faster then you. So thank you for that!
Old 01-27-2015, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I don't agree. The objective of 95% of people here is to go faster in one way or another. Weight (weight, parasitic drag, and weight causing parasitic drag) is the enemy of everyone wanting better performance. The objective of the fastest are go the fastest you can with the lightest/reliable parts possible. For perspective, your car will always perform better with a stock 10 bolt. Why? It's lighter and has very low parasitic drag. Is it reliable? Well that depends on HP level. At the point you need something better I think you should choose the lightest but still reliable part to replace your inadequate part. I chose a 12 bolt, first with a posi, now swapped to a spool. And for everyone who carries your opinion it gives me an advantage to go faster then you. So thank you for that!
That's why I specified auto-x and road racing. Do you see a lot of fast guys running the heaviest option around laguna, sebring or your local auto-x? No. Depending on your skill level an extra 60lbs being controlled by your shocks/springs might cause some different handling characteristics that aren't beneficial to your overall lap time. Can you change up your suspension to compensate? Probably.

When I stated that the extra weight is the only negative what I meant is, the rear is awesome (especially in a straight line), but there are lighter options out there that are still stronger than a 10-bolt for not much more cost wise, such as the 12-bolt, fab 9 or a stamped 9. In some cases 60lbs of unsprung weight is worse than the parasitic loss of power.

For the record, I'm probably one of a few people who will agree with you that the 12-bolt is a good rear end if used properly.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

s60 s-trac for me

Last edited by BC178; 05-27-2015 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blackandgold
That's why I specified auto-x and road racing. Do you see a lot of fast guys running the heaviest option around laguna, sebring or your local auto-x? No. Depending on your skill level an extra 60lbs being controlled by your shocks/springs might cause some different handling characteristics that aren't beneficial to your overall lap time. Can you change up your suspension to compensate? Probably.

When I stated that the extra weight is the only negative what I meant is, the rear is awesome (especially in a straight line), but there are lighter options out there that are still stronger than a 10-bolt for not much more cost wise, such as the 12-bolt, fab 9 or a stamped 9. In some cases 60lbs of unsprung weight is worse than the parasitic loss of power.
I kind of agree with what BOTH of you are saying, but, to qualify what 01ss is claiming; MOST (but not ALL) of the people running around road courses with an LSx powered ride are NOT trying to produce, and put down the power that the serious straight line ONLY peeps on here are doing (and with VERY sticky slicks, launch/60' drag race suspensions, etc. from a standing start on a sticky launch pad).
In most cases they are not even allowed to make those power levels by the rules, and in some cases (NASA CMC/CMC2), they must actually reduce the power levels from BONE STOCK (with inlet restrictors/using STOCK cast iron exhaust manifolds/etc.) in order to run legally in those classes! (And they are randomly dyno checked, and OBD plug in scanned during the season to keep them honest.)

Of course the exceptions to this are the AMLS C5/6/7Rs, and the NASA AIX class cars, which DO make big, reliable, and usable power, but they are using very light and specialized, but still very strong, cooled, rear centers/axles.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:51 PM
Launching!

Well i never got back to you guys but i ordered the s60 with strac about 5 weeks ago. And great news its on back order lol
Old 02-25-2015, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Go spool!
Old 02-25-2015, 06:40 PM
Banned

CRP is the best! I used others, but customer service is very important to me, that's something I didn't get from others...

Quick Reply: strange s60 with strac or not