Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Wavetrac 35 question

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Wavetrac 35 question

I know this is a very broad question but I've been wonder about the power limits for the Wavetrac 35 for both 12 bolt and 9" applications. I have a 2000 Z28 A4 that will see 50% strip time with slicks. Not sure if I'm going with a 383 or 408. Nitrous could also come into the equation. Thanks for your input.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Over the years we have sold multiple Wavetracs with out issue, however we have also sold the Strange S-Trac and tested it in a low nine second 6-speed nitrous F-Body and it took all the abuse we could give it with wheels up launches using our fabricated nine inch..

An I bring up the fabricated nine inch because we are just not fans of the aftermarket twelve bolts here, we have sold multiples and most customers just aren't as happy with them and wished they would of chose a different option..
Old 01-28-2015, 05:28 PM
TECH Resident

What is it about the 12 bolt people don't like?
Old 01-28-2015, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

^^I was actually a little curious about experiences with the wavetrac in a 12 bolt. A fab 9 with a wave trac is going to run like $4500ish but I think I could pick up a 12 bolt housing and stuff it with a wavetrac and 35 spline axles for a decent savings. I'm just not sure how it would hold up.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:20 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The 12 bolt and 8.8 rears are virtually identical internally, even down to the bearing sizes. Before you ask... no the other internals will not swap between the two.

Biggest issue is the known issue of picking up gear noise after it is ran hard. The torque arm attachment to the lighter castings of the 12 bolt tend to flex the case and distort it, which then causes excessive friction and wear. The S60 is somewhat similar design, but much heavier duty(and weight). We have had no issues with the S60 rears.

The 9" rearends will draw a bit more power, but the track results will hardly be noticeable, especially in higher powered cars. The general consensus is this: street car, auto trans, up to 600hp a 12 bolt would most likely be fine. If any track use or hard launches are going to be done(now of even into future) then the S60 or 9" is where you want to be.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ssvert99
The 12 bolt and 8.8 rears are virtually identical internally, even down to the bearing sizes. Before you ask... no the other internals will not swap between the two.

Biggest issue is the known issue of picking up gear noise after it is ran hard. The torque arm attachment to the lighter castings of the 12 bolt tend to flex the case and distort it, which then causes excessive friction and wear. The S60 is somewhat similar design, but much heavier duty(and weight). We have had no issues with the S60 rears.

The 9" rearends will draw a bit more power, but the track results will hardly be noticeable, especially in higher powered cars. The general consensus is this: street car, auto trans, up to 600hp a 12 bolt would most likely be fine. If any track use or hard launches are going to be done(now of even into future) then the S60 or 9" is where you want to be.
So the problem with the 12 bolt has nothing to do with the design of the posi? It's an appealing rear to someone who is street/auto-x/minimal drag, you can easily fit a watts link and it isn't as heavy as an s60 or as expensive as a fab 9. I knew it wouldn't happen but as someone with an M6 I wanted to hear that a wavetrac unit is magical and it could solve the 12 bolt's potential problems.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

^^^ What he said. I'm an auto but I'm interested in what a wavetrac will do in a 12 bolt. For my money the fab 9s are a little pricey... very nice but pricey.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blackandgold
So the problem with the 12 bolt has nothing to do with the design of the posi? It's an appealing rear to someone who is street/auto-x/minimal drag, you can easily fit a watts link and it isn't as heavy as an s60 or as expensive as a fab 9. I knew it wouldn't happen but as someone with an M6 I wanted to hear that a wavetrac unit is magical and it could solve the 12 bolt's potential problems.
Who makes a watts link for the 12 bolts?

I wonder if a properly set up one, which is NEVER EVER drag raced at all, let alone launched hard on DRs/slicks to a < 1.3 60', can actually STAY quiet behind a street driven, and open tracked/autocrossed six speed?
Old 01-31-2015, 01:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Who makes a watts link for the 12 bolts?

I wonder if a properly set up one, which is NEVER EVER drag raced at all, let alone launched hard on DRs/slicks to a < 1.3 60', can actually STAY quiet behind a street driven, and open tracked/autocrossed six speed?
The Fay's will fit depending on which diff cover you have:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...-will-fit.html

I'm in a similar situation though, M6 mostly auto-x with the occasional 1/8th run. The option of a fab 9 or s60 that would be virtually indestructible is really appealing as well.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:22 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You are correct. The posi has nothing to do with it. The housing distorts when the torque arm load is applied to it and then causes the clearances to go away and then excessive friction and wear. I cannot imagine a 8.8 with the same type of torque arm mount will only have the same issues. The S60 is a much heavier duty piece so that's why you never hear of these issues with it.

The Moser 12 bolt has another inherent design issue with the style of the torque arm mount. They set it up with 4 threaded holes instead of a the oem design thru-bolt, and they work loose causing torque arm failure. Most aftermarket torque arm manufacturers will not warranty components that are coupled to a Moser 12 bolt.

MWC manufactures a Watts link setup that will work with most any rearend, and we can use heim joijnts with liners that will help isolate any noise.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ssvert99
You are correct. The posi has nothing to do with it. The housing distorts when the torque arm load is applied to it and then causes the clearances to go away and then excessive friction and wear. I cannot imagine a 8.8 with the same type of torque arm mount will only have the same issues. The S60 is a much heavier duty piece so that's why you never hear of these issues with it.

The Moser 12 bolt has another inherent design issue with the style of the torque arm mount. They set it up with 4 threaded holes instead of a the oem design thru-bolt, and they work loose causing torque arm failure. Most aftermarket torque arm manufacturers will not warranty components that are coupled to a Moser 12 bolt.

MWC manufactures a Watts link setup that will work with most any rearend, and we can use heim joijnts with liners that will help isolate any noise.
Not to hijack this thread again too much, but do you see the same issue with the strange 12 bolt rears? Seems to me the TA mount is a little bit better.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not to hijack this thread again too much, but do you see the same issue with the strange 12 bolt rears? Seems to me the TA mount is a little bit better.
The issue with the 12-bolt is there across the board with all manufactures, if a customer calls wanting to discuss rear end options other than ours we always lean them towards the Strange S-60. All though you won't see a Wavetrac in a Strange 12-bolt, not directly from Strange anyway.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:56 AM
TECH Resident

^^^ That's right. I've called Strange and their S Trac is their helical differential like the wavetrac. The tech at Strange said the S60 with the 35 spline S Trac was rated at 800 or 900 hp I can't remember which one.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd rank the S-60 S-Trac on the lower side of those numbers for sure. Great rear end but not the optimal choice for numbers that high in our opinion. The S-trac for a S-60 and 9" are a little different.

We have a ton of customers running them in our rear ends and all the S-60's we have sold which is a lot and it has never showed us any failures in either rear end and we sell a ton of S-60's a year. Like I have stated before we've tested the S-60 in a low 9 second 6-speed F-Body in one of our fabricated nine inches. It's probably one of the fastest vehicles to ever run a S-Trac to our knowledge.

In either rear end the S-60 our a fabricated nine inch like ours you can't go wrong with the S-Trac.

Quick Reply: Wavetrac 35 question