Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Is it even possible

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 08:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is it even possible

to build a 9" axle (whether Fab 9, standard stamped steel, etc.) DEAD silent on accel, power on/coast decel (or anywhere else), or even if absolutely PERFECTLY set up do they HAVE TO make noise by the very nature of the way the pinion hits the ring gear??
Old 07-31-2015, 11:35 PM
11 Second Club

HAVE a real pro set it up, had about 5-6 set up dead silent AND about the same amount set up so loud could only drive with open exh and radio turned up

Yes it can be done, the lower the gear the harder to setup , expect to pay 1 1/2 to 200 just to set up carrier ( ring and peion)
if you pull and reinstall the carrier
just my .02 Johnny
Old 08-01-2015, 10:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ford did it for years, I've been in many cars with OEM 9 inches and they were all quiet.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Aftermarket gears are designed for strength and tend to be a little noisier than factory gears. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-02-2015, 03:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Aftermarket gears are designed for strength and tend to be a little noisier than factory gears. Bob
That's a given, but HOW can one tell IF the noise is that, or an improper set up (one that might even look OK pattern wise)???

If I would NOT be pushing big power through it, nor launching it to 1.4 or better 60 foots on wrinkle walls with a manual (actually NO drag racing, or hard core standing starts at all), and using no more than 3.70s, could it be made quiet with a Ford factory gear set??
Old 08-03-2015, 08:03 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

If it's so loud you can't hear yourself think, there's a good chance the gears weren't set up correctly, or you have a bad set of gears. A little whine on decel is normal with most aftermarket gears.
Factory Ford gears may indeed give you a really quiet rear, but I don't believe they offer them anymore for the 9 inch. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-03-2015, 10:33 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
That's a given, but HOW can one tell IF the noise is that, or an improper set up (one that might even look OK pattern wise)???

If I would NOT be pushing big power through it, nor launching it to 1.4 or better 60 foots on wrinkle walls with a manual (actually NO drag racing, or hard core standing starts at all), and using no more than 3.70s, could it be made quiet with a Ford factory gear set??
Consistency is the real issue with aftermarket gears. I do 98% of all the MWC gear setups, so rest assured that it is done as good as it can possibly get from us.

Most aftermarket gears will make some amount of noise. I have had the exact same gear sets in the exact same cases on the same production runs. One will be dead silent, one will make a bit more noise.

Setup is absolutely crucial, as well as proper break-in process on any gear. I had a rep from Richmond tell me once that 95% of all their warranty issues were from improper break-in(or none).

Keep in mind a 9" gear, by it's inherent design, will make more noise than other gears due to the pinion location. it is much deeper than other designs, therefore more surface contact, heat, and other issues. It also is the strongest design and easiest to work on.

If you want a silent 9" gear.... good luck. It has happened before, you gotta get lucky more than anything on the quality of that particular ring and pinion set.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssvert99
Keep in mind a 9" gear, by it's inherent design, will make more noise than other gears due to the pinion location. it is much deeper than other designs, therefore more surface contact, heat, and other issues.
Thanks for that answer, this is what I was asking/suggesting in my first post above.

Quick Reply: Is it even possible