Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear Driveshaft Loop..........anyone...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 07:32 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Rear Driveshaft Loop..........anyone...?

I remember seeing somewhere, a long time ago, a car with two Driveshaft loops. Front and Rear loops.

I just bought a BMR tunnell brace mounted torque arm with a front DS loop.

But this does nothing if the DS breaks just behind that front loop. The car can still be catapulted if it breaks at that spot and the DS drops to the ground.

I want another loop about 6" forward of the rear u-joint.......this way no matter where the DS breaks the shaft cannot hit the ground. If it breaks anywhere forward of the rear loop or behind the front loop....the middle section between both loops....both pieces of the shaft will be supported by the loops.

I assume this is custom made stuff only...

Anyone know of a rear loop sold somewhere...?

Old 01-08-2016, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lots of travel at the back, going to be a pretty big loop.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Since the Strange 12 bolt has provision for OEM/aftermarket torque arms,those fastener locations can be used to fabricate a driveshaft loop off of,thereby eliminating the big loop need because of lots of rear travel.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS6427
I remember seeing somewhere, a long time ago, a car with two Driveshaft loops. Front and Rear loops.

I just bought a BMR tunnell brace mounted torque arm with a front DS loop.

But this does nothing if the DS breaks just behind that front loop. The car can still be catapulted if it breaks at that spot and the DS drops to the ground.

I want another loop about 6" forward of the rear u-joint.......this way no matter where the DS breaks the shaft cannot hit the ground. If it breaks anywhere forward of the rear loop or behind the front loop....the middle section between both loops....both pieces of the shaft will be supported by the loops.

I assume this is custom made stuff only...

Anyone know of a rear loop sold somewhere...?

There are several places a rear driveshaft loop is mfg and sold, all I have seen are made for a 9". They start at about $300 and go up. Might be a better investment to buy a carbon fiber driveshaft which is supposed to turn to dust if it breaks.

Carl
Old 01-10-2016, 02:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 67Skylark
Lots of travel at the back, going to be a pretty big loop.
Or just a cradle....not a full circle around the shaft. Just something that goes up on both sides of the DS so it can travel fully up and down.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Carl at CRP
There are several places a rear driveshaft loop is mfg and sold, all I have seen are made for a 9". They start at about $300 and go up. Might be a better investment to buy a carbon fiber driveshaft which is supposed to turn to dust if it breaks.

Carl
Are carbon fiber shafts stronger than any metal type shaft...?

Old 01-10-2016, 04:53 PM
Launching!

Are carbon fiber shafts stronger than any metal type shaft...?

I would say so, PST test and rates theres to 2750 or something insanely crazy like that. At 1300rwhp it would be your strongest, lightest and safest way to go for a driveshaft IMO.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TX98Z28
I would say so, PST test and rates theres to 2750 or something insanely crazy like that. At 1300rwhp it would be your strongest, lightest and safest way to go for a driveshaft IMO.
Interesting, I'll into them. I thought I heard somewhere that if a rock flys up and puts a nick or ding in a carbon fiber shaft...it totally compromises its strength..?

Ever heard about that?

Old 01-10-2016, 09:28 PM
Launching!

Interesting, I'll into them. I thought I heard somewhere that if a rock flys up and puts a nick or ding in a carbon fiber shaft...it totally compromises its strength..?

Ever heard about that?

I highly doubt it would do anything, but damage is damage so strength could be compromised. @1300rwhp I woundnt be buying anything but a carbon fiber driveshaft, stuffs going to break, if it's the driveshaft sure hope it aint metal.

I heard when a carbon shaft brakes it brooms out, could do damage but nowhere near what metal on metal would do. The price of the carbon shaft would be nothing compared to the price and time to replace brake lines, suspension, under body work that the metal shaft would clearly do. Heard the safely loops help but more than likely will just rip it right off with metal shaft.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TX98Z28
I highly doubt it would do anything, but damage is damage so strength could be compromised. @1300rwhp I woundnt be buying anything but a carbon fiber driveshaft, stuffs going to break, if it's the driveshaft sure hope it aint metal.

I heard when a carbon shaft brakes it brooms out, could do damage but nowhere near what metal on metal would do. The price of the carbon shaft would be nothing compared to the price and time to replace brake lines, suspension, under body work that the metal shaft would clearly do. Heard the safely loops help but more than likely will just rip it right off with metal shaft.
I'm trying to envision a shaft breaking.....if it breaks at any point along the entire shaft...and you have a loop 6 inches from each u-joint, it seems that the remaining broken shaft piece(s) will be supported.

I have broken 2 shafts since I owned my car from 1998 when I bought it new.

First time (factory stock aluminum) was literally driving 5mph through a parking lot...it just broke and heard.....clunk, bang, ding, bam.....I stopped and looked under the car and saw it dragging on the ground.

The second time (steel shaft) was at 150mph.....I heard a quick smack like a hammer hitting a metal table and then perfect silence. I just rolled to a stop. The shaft broke about 6" from the rear u-joint. The rest of the shaft just slid out of the tail house of the transmission and fell onto the road. Luckily it didn't somehow get caught up in something on its way out and puncture a hole through the car or lift it up. It went onto the road and out the rear clean.....
The little 6" piece that stayed attached to the rear-end just spun around and there was a couple little ding marks from where it made contact a couple times. Nothing bad at all.

I'm just scared of the break happening 10"-16" from the front u-joint....because then the shaft will drop straight down and hit the ground....possibly causing a catapult situation.

I'll definitely look into carbon fiber shafts. I'm waiting to hear from PST on their recommendation for me.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Like Carl mentioned you see this kind of driveshaft safety loop manufactured for nine inches. I've never seen one for a stamped style housing all though it may be out there just not a huge demand for it.

He also brings up a good point on the driveshaft being carbonfiber. With PST you can purchase a warranty and get a lifetime warranty on it. I've had mine for a few years now and driven on the street and still shows no sign of rock chips.

With any driveshaft especially a carbon one make sure not to jack up your vehicle and allow the driveshaft to support the rear end on the driveshat loop or exhaust. It is a killer on any material driveshaft.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
Like Carl mentioned you see this kind of driveshaft safety loop manufactured for nine inches. I've never seen one for a stamped style housing all though it may be out there just not a huge demand for it.

He also brings up a good point on the driveshaft being carbonfiber. With PST you can purchase a warranty and get a lifetime warranty on it. I've had mine for a few years now and driven on the street and still shows no sign of rock chips.

With any driveshaft especially a carbon one make sure not to jack up your vehicle and allow the driveshaft to support the rear end on the driveshat loop or exhaust. It is a killer on any material driveshaft.
So can it be on a car lift that lifts the car by the frame, where the wheels hang down?

What about jacking up one corner or one whole side to change a flat tire..?

Old 01-11-2016, 03:13 PM
Banned

PST got back to me. I'm gonna get one of their carbon fiber shafts with the badass yokes they sell.

Old 01-11-2016, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

PST got back to me. I'm gonna get one of their carbon fiber shafts with the badass yokes they sell.

Let me know I can save you money on the shaft.

An never let the rear end hang.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
Let me know I can save you money on the shaft.

An never let the rear end hang.
You sell PST shafts?

What happens to the rear-end on those type of car lifts where the rear-end hangs down?

Old 01-12-2016, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

You sell PST shafts?

What happens to the rear-end on those type of car lifts where the rear-end hangs down?

Yes sir we are and always the best prices.

If you let the rear end hang no matter how you raise it into the air you risk letting your driveshaft hit the safety loop or exhaust. The bigger the shaft the bigger the risk.

Quick Reply: Rear Driveshaft Loop..........anyone...?