Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Strange 12 Bolt Installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 11:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strange 12 Bolt Installed

Strange 12 Bolt Installed at Speed Inc.
Speed Inc. a great sponsor and vendor. They served a pizza lunch while I waited.

They installed my Strange 12 bolt yesterday. The heavy duty posi is now standard along with 33 spline axles. I ordered 4.11 gears too. Along with the rearend, I purchased and had Speed Inc. install BMR boxed rubber/poly LCAs, BMR adjustable torque arm, polyurethane bushings and ends for the rear sway bar and an ASP pulley to offest the rwhp loss due to the 12 bolt.

When I got to the shop it was cloudy and 45*. When I left the shop several inches of snow unexpectedly accumulated.

Summer tires and 4.11s = when your in a near blizzard.

I'll leave my impressions as I break in the new rear. The install at Speed Inc. was excellent. This is one first class operation.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:42 PM
TECH Junkie

IMO, the Strange 12-bolt is as close to a true bolt-in as you will find with regard to a new rear axle. Strange appears to go out of their way to make the installation as painless as possible.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

Expecting my Strange 12-bolt to be delivered any day now. Hopefully, my Saturday plans will involve installing it.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

It took Strange about 4 weeks to build the unit. That was expected at the time of the order. Each rear is built when ordered, no off the shelf products here.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

As soon as it gets warm again i'll be in the hunt for a 12 Bolt. Strange is definately the way to go. I just gotta convince my wife alittle. Good luck!!!
Old 12-01-2004, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

I just bought my Strange 12 bolt today from Speed Ink.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by noah89
It took Strange about 4 weeks to build the unit. That was expected at the time of the order. Each rear is built when ordered, no off the shelf products here.
If you don't mind me asking, what did it cost you to get out the door at Speed Inc. for the complete Strange setup and install? I know Tom's gang does flawless work... WJ
Old 12-01-2004, 11:22 PM
11 Second Club

Wow, good news here

My Strange is 9 months old, and so far so good. An ape could do the installation. My friend works as a dealership mechanic and since he had an open lift one afternoon, we hooked it up real quick like.

My friend also commented on "what a quality peace" the rear was, and nothing was forgotten or ignored. He is the "rear-only guy" at the dealership.

It's a little whiney, but just enough to remind you that you have a stronger rear back there when you mash the pedal.

Ok now wait, you guys are saying Tom at Speed Inc. sells Strange now?! Heck, I wanted to buy mine from him, but he only sold Moser at the time Man, I remember egging him on to start selling Strange.....hmmmmm.

It's ok, T Byrne started a GP at my request and we got them at a great price. He did an exchange-core program with the brake backing plates whereby you have to buy a new set and forward it to Strange. After you are done, T Byrne would credit your account if you send him the plates off your stock unit.

With Strange, the usual buyer that will go with them are getting a 12 bolt while the stock rear is still intact. People who buy Mosers tend to be ones who detonated the 10 bolt stocker. Hey, no one likes to stare at an LS1 as much as they like to drive it

I haven't truly tested it yet but that will change very soon. Our club rented Bradenton Motorsports Park and we will all get ~20 runs or so on the 11th.

I kept hearing hit or miss issues with Moser's set up, so that got me over to Strange. I'll come back to let you know how it did with 413 rwhp, a Spec 3 clutch, and Nitto DR's.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:37 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Yeah, Strange has a long lead time. I really wanted one but couldn't wait.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed mine yesterday.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so I take it from other threads that the Moser is a howling bitch and the Strange is a great piece? I plan to do this mod next with 4:11's and do not want something that sounds like hell, I am thinking of going with a 9" if I can. Do these whine like the 12 bolt? would you recommend that over a 12 if you could do it? Is a locker ok for street use? What about a spool for street use? Most of my driving is on the street and highway, maybe a serious outing to the track once a month but more once I have the drivetrain that can take it..

I just want a strong as hell rearend with 4:11's or 4:10's that take the abuse and don't whine with occasional track use.

I would love to hear your thoughts and experience on this...... (and yes I have searched and read a bunch on this but still want to hear it from you directly since you just did it, thanks!!!!)
Old 12-10-2004, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

No problem. I've got 800 miles on the new rear. There was a little and mean a little bit of gear noise during the first 200 miles. It is now silent. On acceleration you can here the rear a little, but not whining. It's a good powerful sound. At about 2500 rpms the Corsa overtakes any rearend sound. There is no gear noise at any cruise speed, highway or city. While I have not really got on it yet, the difference in acceleration is really strong. This was a very positive install and purchase. Also, since I live in Chicago, I was able to take a tour of the Strange Engineering factory. And, I also met the crew that assembles the rears and puts the gears together. They seemed competent, knowlegable and interested in talking about their jobs. I'm glad I spent the few extra bucks and bought the Strange rear. Hope that helps.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:18 PM
Launching!

Well hate to be a bearer of bad news but my Strange 12 bolt went to (poop) after one sat of drag racing. I heve purchased a total rebuild kit All new breings and seals and all you can think of she just started whining after the weekend at the track. i don't thing it is strange falt but it was set up loose acording to Strange specs. If you are intrested in the specs theygave me i wil give them in a pm

just a heads up.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Whatever I get, I am damn sure going to take it over to someone who really knows how to set these things up and have it checked and reset if needed. An $2000 to $2500 is alot of money to spend on any mod and it better damn well be done right before it goes in.