Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

downshifted into 2nd at 80mph?!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 04:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy downshifted into 2nd at 80mph?!!

i already posted this on the manual trans forum, but wanted to get some more opinions here,
i was gowing driving down the highway at 75-80mh and wanted to downshift into 4th, instead it got into 2nd by mistake, rpms jumped up and i pushed the clutch in less than a second when i realised it, after that i feel little vibration when driving. i don't know if it's coming from the rear end or what, i don't think anything happened to the motor. so what would you guys think went wrong, did i break something?

btw, i have an 8.8" rear end with 4.10s, with a strong drive shaft..

also, the LOW TRAC light comes on from time to time, and sometimes the ABS INOP and ASR lights come on at the same time, when i push the brakes it feels kind of weird when the LOW TRAC light comes on?
so what would you guys think hapened?
thanks,
Old 12-30-2004, 03:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to check out your rear suspension to see if something is cracked or came loose. One time I hit 2nd instead of 4th when I had it nailed, and I snapped both my rear shocks in half at the shaft. I have all Hotchkis suspension parts and a Spohn TA, so I figure that since those parts are so strong, all the energy went to the shocks. If you have stock parts you may have broke something. I imagine that could cause vibration. If you broke the rearend I would think you would be able to hear that.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

one night a while back i had been drinkin to much and decided to get into it gettin onto the highway on the on-ramp and i went 2 to 3 and back to 2, rpm's jumped rear-end skipped. and it seemed fine for the rest of my drive on the highway makin ga very slighty noise, so once i got of the highway it started to CLUNK like crazy. well about half a mile later i was stranded on the side of the road with a stripped pinion gear....stupid 4.10's.......erg, stupid me =/
Old 01-02-2005, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

Well, I almost hate to admit it, but I have done that a few times myself (damn auto's always want to race from a 75 punch with out giving you a chance to downshift and 4th is hard to find from 6th in a hurry). Only I had a stock rear with 3.42's... only thing I hurt was one intake pushrod (bent not broken), which ran like that for about another 30K miles before I decided to pull the valve covers and check them.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BOWTIE
Well, I almost hate to admit it, but I have done that a few times myself (damn auto's always want to race from a 75 punch with out giving you a chance to downshift and 4th is hard to find from 6th in a hurry). Only I had a stock rear with 3.42's... only thing I hurt was one intake pushrod (bent not broken), which ran like that for about another 30K miles before I decided to pull the valve covers and check them.
Was there any sounds your engine made that tipped you off? Decrease in power?

I grabbed 2nd at 88 mph while racing a turbo 5.0 at the track, but as of today, I don't notice any differences by either sounds or SOTP feel.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1ScrudeDude
Was there any sounds your engine made that tipped you off? Decrease in power?

I grabbed 2nd at 88 mph while racing a turbo 5.0 at the track, but as of today, I don't notice any differences by either sounds or SOTP feel.
Not really, the motor made a little more of what sounded like lifter noise, but it never showed any signs of being hurt at the track or on the dyno (321 RWHP with lid, filter, catback). I was just doing some upgrades (ls6 intake) and figured while I had it that far apart I would go ahead and check them since I knew there was a strong chance i had bent some of them. honestly I was a little disappointed when I only found one bent, I was hoping to find all of the intakes or all of the exhaust bent so that it would make a more drastic difference when I replaced them.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:44 PM
Teching In

I did the same thing, had it wide open and hit second, the rear jumped around for a second before I hit the clutch. The rear lasted about 3 more months, around 4000 miles. was making a little noise before but it got a lot worse. After I could hear it over the stereo I parked it yesterday and started driving my 78z with a t56. Out of the blue it started vibrating when downshifting and vibrates from 1st thru 4th when accell. goes away when I push the clutch in. Feels like something sycro in the trans, when you are rolling and push into 1st you can feel the sycros speeding something up before you put it all the way into gear. Whatever its meshing is vibrating like hell. It stops in 5th and 6th. Anyone know what that deal is? Thanks
Old 10-27-2009, 08:14 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Check for the torque arm looking like this one.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...php?service=58 Bob
Old 10-28-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I think a thorough inspection of all rear suspension components is in order.

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 10-30-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:36 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I think a thorough inspection of all rear suspension components is in order.
Wise advice! Bob
Old 10-29-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've hit first instead of third a few times... not too proud of it, lol. Luckily I've always had terrible tires and a fast "oh shnikies" clutch foot.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would hope OP has figured the problem out by now
Old 11-09-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Check for the torque arm looking like this one.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...php?service=58 Bob
Wow that makes me want to ditch my pos factory torque arm tonight! Be my next mod after my trans and converter.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:40 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hi-po
i would hope op has figured the problem out by now
+1.....

Quick Reply: downshifted into 2nd at 80mph?!!