Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

SLP Bilstein suspension, is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 12:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SLP Bilstein suspension, is it worth it?

I would like to do my suspension all in one shot and the SLP bilistein setup looks pretty good, but is it?

Does it lower the car at all?
or is it cheaper to get all the parts seperatly from another manufacture(maybe something else besides bilistein)?
Old 11-14-2001, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

Default Re: SLP Bilstein suspension, is it worth it?

The bilsteins for SLP will not be the same valving as the F-body performance ones you would buy direct, but I believe Bilstein will re-valve the shocks for a nominal fee (~15-20 a shock) to your specs. This turns out to be a cheap way to get bilstein performance at a lower price.

Chris
Old 11-14-2001, 12:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll add one more question to your list-
How is the ride quality? I was under the impression that it was a bit smoother and softer than the stock Z28 and Trans Am suspension (better on rough roads than the stock suspension), but then when you lean it into a turn it stiffens up nicely.
Old 11-14-2001, 06:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The Firehawks use the Bilstein susp.
I've parked my car next to a Hawk and you DO notice a difference in height.
The lowered stance can be a bitch though (I've heard) when trying to get out of parking lots, etc.
Old 11-14-2001, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not all Firehawks have it - it is one of the SLP options on the SS and the Hawk.

So, it does lower the car a bit? More or less of a drop than Eibach Prokit springs?
Lowered looks good, but I would scrape too much stuff up if my car was any closer to the ground.
Old 11-14-2001, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes BlACKWS6 has heard my car many times....

SCRAAAAAPPEEEEEEE!!!!!

my FLP clamps and Y-pipe are all dented and banged up...its defiently worth the trouble though...it can hold corners and cloverleafs mad man style...and it looks excellent lowered...

The only downfall is the scraping and the limited weight transfer of the stiff springs...not exactly the best drag racing setup...
Old 11-14-2001, 06:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

SLP told me the drop was between 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch.
Old 11-14-2001, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If the SLP Level I drops it .5 to .75 inches, then that is a good bit less drop than the Eibachs. The ProKit drops the car about 1.5 inches.

So, how is the ride over rough pavement? I know the progressive rate springs start out a lot softer than the stock Z28/Formula/TA spring.
Old 11-14-2001, 11:16 PM
Launching!

The drop is about one inch. Its worth it to a certain extent. What I'm going to do when I order mine is skip the supension and use that money i save on that to order a Stage II kit from Kenny Brown Performance. But the Bilstien is a great option from SLP if you already have SFC and other suspension related hardware.
Old 11-14-2001, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

[quote]Originally posted by Playdough:
<strong>The drop is about one inch. Its worth it to a certain extent. What I'm going to do when I order mine is skip the supension and use that money i save on that to order a Stage II kit from Kenny Brown Performance. But the Bilstien is a great option from SLP if you already have SFC and other suspension related hardware.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Do you have an address for the Kenny Brown stage II kit? Does it just offer the SFC with a similar Lv1 suspension similar to SLP?
Old 11-15-2001, 10:20 AM
Launching!

Might try Kenny Brown I think the last time that I checked it was about $1,700. It includes Double Diamond SFC's, STB, Kenny's own Sport Springs (they are a triple rate spring that lowers the car about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inchs they won't beat you up while you under normal driving but they stiffin up while performance driving), Bilsteins (Konis Optional), urethane bushings, Adj LCA, and Adj. Panhard Rod. This the Stage II kit. This is a great kit and for the money you cann't beat what all you get. And everything is designed to work in conjuction with each other.

[ November 15, 2001: Message edited by: Playdough ]</p>