Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How big of a difference will 3.73s make?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 09:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How big of a difference will 3.73s make?

I was wondering if it was worth putting these in? I am about to get a Yank 4000 and have 315 Nitto DRs in the back, and everyone of my buddies with autos is saying that 3.73 wont do much at all, and wont be worth the gain.

I have had these for over a year, and never put them in because I think it is gay to pay over $300 just to install a $175 item!

So should I spent the $300+ and put them in for maybe .1+/- in the quarter?
Old 04-07-2005, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CamaroSS
I was wondering if it was worth putting these in? I am about to get a Yank 4000 and have 315 Nitto DRs in the back, and everyone of my buddies with autos is saying that 3.73 wont do much at all, and wont be worth the gain.

I have had these for over a year, and never put them in because I think it is gay to pay over $300 just to install a $175 item!

So should I spent the $300+ and put them in for maybe .1+/- in the quarter?
Get 4.10s or don't swap gears. Going from 3.42 to 3.73 is almost unnoticable and not worth the cash. I was disappointed. With the high stall, you'll want the steeper gear anyway. Of course, depending on the hp, the stock rear wont last too long with that combo. 4.10s on the 7.5 ring will whine a bit too.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

what gears do you have now?
Old 04-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

hey bro i might want to take those 3.73 off your hands
Old 04-07-2005, 09:54 PM
11 Second Club

I have an A4 as in sig, and it has 3.23.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:53 PM
12 Second Club

Definately get them, i love mine. They make a good difference if u can get traction afterwords. I lost alot of traction, I lost 3-4 tenths on my 60 but gained 3 tenths in the end. So if my traction were better i would have an even better gain. If they dont help much atleast u will get some kick *** burnouts.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

not to be biased b/c i want your gears. but the only improvement you will have would be your daily driving. since you are getting a large converter 4000. its going to feel mushy while driving before it is locked up. they do say its about a tenth gain plus more money on gas. i dont want a stall. i just want gears. if you are going full race car. everylittle bit helps. spend your money on getting a lid and a ftra. you will see better gains with that
Old 04-08-2005, 08:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002anniversary
not to be biased b/c i want your gears. but the only improvement you will have would be your daily driving. since you are getting a large converter 4000. its going to feel mushy while driving before it is locked up. they do say its about a tenth gain plus more money on gas. i dont want a stall. i just want gears. if you are going full race car. everylittle bit helps. spend your money on getting a lid and a ftra. you will see better gains with that
First off, I already have a lid, and teh ram air systems suck.......I am going to put the gears in, if not then you will see them posted for sale.....BTW if you have an automatic, and never plan to get a torque converter it is a waste to race it...
Old 04-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

first off i was going by what it said in your sig, and it didnt say lid. second of all a ftra doesnt suck as it nets people .2 in the quarter mile which would be the same or more than what gears would do for you at this point after your converter. and third i dont race often. i want a car that feels fast with good throttle response at all times when i drive. not when i just step on it. i dont want to have any mushy feeliing for the moment in my daily driver. eventually i do want a stall it would be a 3000 stall. and just b/c i dont have a converter that doesnt make my car not worth racing. to each their own.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

Well if anyone sees that big of a gain from a ram air system, it is due to condition changes. I personaly feel they do nothing since I have a SSRA on my car, and don't honestly feel there was any sort of gain at all....nothing as substantial as 2 tenths either.

To be honest don't go with a 3000, while some people like them, something higher like a 3500 Yank with a higher stall torque ratio will not feel mushy at all, and have a very solid feel. People very rarely go from a higher stall to a lower one and perfer it....

I wasn't trying to offend you, I was simply making a statement.....I was in a rush so what I typed came off a little short.....

~Kevin
Old 04-08-2005, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

You'll benefit more at the track from 4.11s.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:37 AM
TECH Junkie

first off i was going by what it said in your sig, and it didnt say lid. second of all a ftra doesnt suck as it nets people .2 in the quarter mile which would be the same or more than what gears would do for you at this point after your converter. and third i dont race often. i want a car that feels fast with good throttle response at all times when i drive. not when i just step on it. i dont want to have any mushy feeliing for the moment in my daily driver. eventually i do want a stall it would be a 3000 stall. and just b/c i dont have a converter that doesnt make my car not worth racing. to each their own.
No one nets .2 at the track w/installing FTRA. You don't know what you're talking about.... 1/10th tops. WJ
Old 04-09-2005, 06:31 AM
12 Second Club

I am not trying to get into this or anything, but the right stall will feel EXACTLY like stock until you punch it. I have a Yank 3200 (going with a 4000 when I install new tranny) and it feels and drives like stock at part throttle, but I can roast the street tires when I am going 35mph and punching it!
Old 04-09-2005, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...highlight=ftra
here is just one guy talking about his ftra. i am not imaging things about the ftra. i am only speaking about what people post. dont tell me i dont know ****. find all the post that people have written and tell them they are liers. yes i have heard that its feels tight, but before they say its tight they usually say it took a little to get used to at first. those words make me back off.. i will eventually get a converter but i want gears first and then get a converter to complement the gears. thats all
Old 04-09-2005, 09:59 PM
12 Second Club

I honestly think that guy at LS1.com was over exagerating. "Ram Air" doesn't really work until upwards of 100 mph. The speed the car sucks in air is faster than what air is being "ramed" in there, until u match the speeds and are actually going faster than what the car can take in air then ur not really "ramming" anything in there. The only thing it does is provide a little cooler air but the free ram air mod does the same. Even say u are moving faster than what the car can suck air in, it can only take in so much do to exhaust setups and such. 1 tenth sounds about right, and it might be pushing it, just cause it provides colder air which is good for the engine. Gears if u can hook up will net u more than 2 tenths, i got 3 tenths out of them even tho i lost 3 tenths on my 60'. Had i been able to hook up i would have gotten way more time off my 1/4 time.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:43 PM
Staging Lane

well i hear you. its hard to filter out the people who are exagerating or not. i just know people are generaly very happy with it. i know gears net a good improvement. thats why i want them but i also hear that when you have a high stall converter a step up in gears wouldnt be much gain. from what i have read they say .1. but hey what do i know i just know what i have read on this board. notice when i give a opinion i start by saying" they say" not i say and i am right
Old 04-10-2005, 01:23 AM
12 Second Club

Im not attacking u but also that stall and gear thing sounds kinda wack. The point in the stall is to start u off as close to ur power curve the point in the gears is to get u there quiker. Together and with good sticky tires (drag radials) they are a deadly combo. I agree alot of people just post without even knowing what they are talking about. Its hard to tell who is telling the truth and who isn't.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a yank SY3500 TC rite now and am getting 3.73 in a week. I do think it would help a lot especially if u get a cam later on.... thunder racing prefers gears and headers b4 cam... Gears help you get most from ur cam (This is what i have been told by multiple ppl...pro's included)
Old 04-10-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4.10's or nothin
Old 04-10-2005, 08:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00Z28 Camaro
4.10's or nothin
Homeboy has an A4 man 4.10's aint the best choice for him.