Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Gear Selection

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Selection

I am ready to do gears and i was wondering what would be a good selection for me and my car. I want to keep my car balanced for street and highway performance but setup more towards street performance. Is 3.73's the only way to go and are 4.10s as extreme as everyone says they are
Old 06-20-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bee-stro
I am ready to do gears and i was wondering what would be a good selection for me and my car. I want to keep my car balanced for street and highway performance but setup more towards street performance. Is 3.73's the only way to go and are 4.10s as extreme as everyone says they are
You will gain almost nothing by switching gears. But if you still feel the need i would say to go with 3.73's.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say go with 4.10's. If you are going to change make it worthwhile.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:36 PM
11 Second Club

Honestly I think you'll be fine with the 3.23's. I might never change my gears, but rather wait a few years till I get a new rear end and then go with ~3.73.

Some people tell me to swap gears to gain something but a lot say I'll get "maybe a tenth" out of it. Gears aren't nearly as important on a stalled auto as they are for a manual. High stall speeds and shift extensions take care to make sure we are in the correct powerband.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

doh...for some reason i thought you had a manual. Otherwise I wouldn't have recomended 4.10's. In fact I wouldn't have recommened gears at all. It's right in your sig, I just didn't take the time to look.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:41 AM
Launching!

I just got 3:73's installed and i couldnt be happier...Im not sure why you guys think it wouldnt be worth it sence everyone i talk to says gears are the best performance for your buck. I know it most deff..was worth it for me! From 20-25mph i can hit it and get sides ways all the way threw the rest of 1st and 90% of second and sometimes it gets a 3rd hear scratch. So i get to flip around and look at good 80 foot skid marks down the street...If thats not worth it i dont know what is.
Another thing, off the whole with good traction...There is a huge difference-It jumps off the line and my RPM's on the highway a still not bad-I dont even see much of a diff in MPG
Old 06-21-2005, 10:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WS6RAGE
I just got 3:73's installed and i couldnt be happier...Im not sure why you guys think it wouldnt be worth it sence everyone i talk to says gears are the best performance for your buck. I know it most deff..was worth it for me! From 20-25mph i can hit it and get sides ways all the way threw the rest of 1st and 90% of second and sometimes it gets a 3rd hear scratch. So i get to flip around and look at good 80 foot skid marks down the street...If thats not worth it i dont know what is.
Another thing, off the whole with good traction...There is a huge difference-It jumps off the line and my RPM's on the highway a still not bad-I dont even see much of a diff in MPG
Do you have an aftermarket torque converter?
Old 06-21-2005, 11:52 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6RAGE
Like blue said, do you have an aftermarket converter? Do you even drive an auto, or a manual?
Old 06-21-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Junkie

I got bored and checked his profile, says he's got an auto. No mention of a stall though. Stalled A4's gain significantly less with gears than non stalled cars. We're talking maybe .1 seconds reduction in ET.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlueSix
I got bored and checked his profile, says he's got an auto. No mention of a stall though. Stalled A4's gain significantly less with gears than non stalled cars. We're talking maybe .1 seconds reduction in ET.
Okay. I should have thought to just check his profile/sig. Oh well.

Rage: Forget what you gained with the gears, get a high stall torque converter and see what happens.

The "maybe 0.1" is what I've seen from several people in regards to swapping gears in my situation. It's not worth maybe a tenth to me just yet....but when I get a new rear end I'll go with a higher gear. (numerically)
Old 06-22-2005, 07:46 AM
Launching!

No i dont have an after market converter, and i have an A4

*Edited*
Sorry i didnt have a sig..Check it out thats what i have.

Last edited by WS6RAGE; 06-22-2005 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Okay. I should have thought to just check his profile/sig. Oh well.

Rage: Forget what you gained with the gears, get a high stall torque converter and see what happens.

The "maybe 0.1" is what I've seen from several people in regards to swapping gears in my situation. It's not worth maybe a tenth to me just yet....but when I get a new rear end I'll go with a higher gear. (numerically)
Yeah i can only imagen what that'll feel like .1 of gain...I dunno it really does feel like more then that but i wouldnt know i have never ran it at the trac.

Last edited by WS6RAGE; 06-22-2005 at 07:59 AM.