Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

any happy 8.8 owners out there?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 10:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default any happy 8.8 owners out there?

loking like that might be my best option as my car is a d.d. and rarely sees the track. i justdont trust this 10 bolt whining like it is and cant justify the $$ for a 12 bolt or 9 inch that ill never tap the potential of.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x2....i was wondering if anybody is running the 8.8.....i will see a little more track time...but i know u can build the 8.8 up very nicely and dont have to worry about it!!
Old 08-15-2005, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let you know in a couple of months

Last edited by TRex; 08-15-2005 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a broken 8.8 housing that extreme chassis made if you want it! The torque arm welds are ripped off of it, and it has a couple of re-welds where the original welds failed too on the axle tubes. I sent craig some $ for a new one which he said he's get to me a week later, that was 4 months ago.

The underlying problem with the 8.8 is how the torque arm mount is welded to the CAST steel housing, it is very weak, a design flaw. You can "try" to reinforce it however you want to and it may "look" strong, but it will also be weak. I cannot tell you how much time and $ I've spent trying to fix this POS 8.8", I could have bought 2 complete 9"s. Save your time and $ and get a 9" from the get go.

If you really want the housing mapquest it to Snellville, GA and come pick it up for free.

Cheers.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:23 AM
10 Second Club

you still got the axles? i might have to make a road trip.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no internals I sold all of them. The axles are just 1/2 longer than stock if you order them from moser, I had 31 spline axles, motorsport trac-loc, 4.10s etc in it.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah. I'm not all that happy with my EC 8.8. I've rebuild the damn thing 2x now and it is STILL giving me issues. Turns out that he probably rushed mine and didn't get the TA mounts right (Bad Pinion angle. Ford rears are pretty sensitive to Pinion angle) and the LCA brackets are on wrong. I had to go ahead and buy a bunch of suspension parts to get it right. I have no issue with my TA mounts though. Just welded out of alignment.

All in all, I would have glady paid more for a better rear. Go 12 bolt or 9 in. and don't look back. A couple 100's now is WAY more worth it in the long run. I'm not even sure who is making an 8.8 for us now. If you do get one, don't get an EC one.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the welds on one of my axle tubes cracked too.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:57 PM
9 Second Club

i dont understand why people can weld a ta mounton a 12 bolt or a 9 inch but not an 8.8? is it just the morons that are doing them incorrectly?
Old 08-17-2005, 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
i dont understand why people can weld a ta mounton a 12 bolt or a 9 inch but not an 8.8? is it just the morons that are doing them incorrectly?
b/c the ta mounts are molded in!!! i belive
Old 08-17-2005, 08:29 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00BlackSS
b/c the ta mounts are molded in!!! i belive
so i wonder how long b4 someone decides to mold an 8.8. besides the spring perches and axle tubeswould needto be welded on a 12 bolt or 9 inch. i think this is boiling down more to poor craftsmanship that the actual rearend itself. i would like to see a major manufacturer put a few dollars into this andmake it work, it could be a very viable option for many people.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've tried to hold my tonque on this thus far, but can't any longer.

The failures thus far ARE because the people who have done it thus far did not do their homework. Do a search on the internet about welding nodular iron. There are several good articles on it, it can be done successfully. There are many good specialized welding rods that facilitate the process. It is best done with a stick welder, and generous pre-heat and post heat is recommended. The pre-heat might be a little difficult, but the post heat isn't.

I had mine powdercoated, and part of that process is a 700 degree bake overnight - a side by-product of that process is that it relieves stresses and facilitates other metallurgical processes that I will not go into to prevent boring the non-engineers in the audience.

The other thing is this. I have looked at all the pictures of the 8.8's built to date. The structural designs thus far have been very misguided and obviously not designed by someone with structural engineering training. The torque arm mount bushings are all made with thin wall tubing and other structural items are then jury rigged together and welded to the housing. Additionally, most thus far have been mig welded. Mig welding is an excellent method of welding for most items, particularly because of the high speed, just not nodular iron.

I think it would be excellent if someone would cast an 8.8 housing with a torque arm mount, however I doubt that will ever happen. 12 bolts can be made strong enough wtih the right selection of differential. Rarely do you see anyone snapping axles, housings, or ring gears. Nine times out of ten it is differential failures, which are not housing related, or problems with assembly and setup - again not design related.

I have nothing against 9" for strip cars with lots of power, but they have the disadvantage of being less efficient and heavy compared to 12 bolts and 8.8's, something those of us with less radical setups don't like. That is the only reason I decided to go with an 8.8 over a 12 bolt - lighter weight and more efficient.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If a major manufacturer starts making the 8.8 ford or even 8.5" GM rears to fit Fbodys they are probebly going to cost just as much as a 12bolt or 9'' now.

The reason 12bolts/9'' are so expensive is that they have to be specially made with the provision for the tq arm, so the same is going to apply if someone decides to do it with an 8.8.

Its not like the internals for an 8.8 are so much cheaper than a 12bolt.

I think if a shop did start making 8.8 or 8.5" rears, bare housings for about $500, or complete for <$1500 they could make a killing, everyone would want one.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Agreed with the cost aspect, the 8.8 would not be cheaper, just lighter and more power efficient.

Anyone wanting a cheap rear needs to just watch the for sale section, that's the only way to get one cheap.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:57 PM
11 Second Club

I have an 8.8 also. And the torque arm mount broke off just like alot of other peoples did. long story short i welded it back together myself using VERY thick material and overkill on the MIG welding cause its is nodular iron. it has been holding up GREAT ever since. it has 4.10's and a spool in it so there is no problem there.
But yeah just spend the extra $200 and get a Strange 12 bolt with a spool. Not a Moser.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:01 AM
11 Second Club

here's my personal experiences.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/189798-another-one-bites-dust-8-8-rear.html
This is how i fixed mine.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/181434-boom-bitch-8-8-broke-pics-inside-kinda-long-story.html
Old 08-18-2005, 03:23 PM
9 Second Club

wellit looks as though if someone whereto use QUALITY materials and knew how to weld correctly as trex stated earlier then thesebreakages wouldnt be an issue for daily driver cars such as mine thus negating the need for a cast housing. honestly if someone is going to be going all out i dont thin an 8.8 would be an option for them anyways. id like to see this get done, im sure im not the only one. anybody know whos making them these days? maybe then can learn a thing or 2 or just see others input by reading this.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You also need someone who knows how to service their customers and run a business, which Craig (Extreme Chassis) did not know how to do.

What is your interest in 8.8's ? I mean, why would you want one instead of a 12 bolt ?
Old 08-18-2005, 05:45 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TRex
You also need someone who knows how to service their customers and run a business, which Craig (Extreme Chassis) did not know how to do.

What is your interest in 8.8's ? I mean, why would you want one instead of a 12 bolt ?
couple reasons actually. the strange id buy is $2800. i was qouted an 8.8 with the same upgrades for $1900. its a lot lighter andwith being bolt on only daily driver thats impotant to me. and parts for them are readily available around here with the 6 mustang shops in my city. (by parts i mean ring gears and diff's in stock) only 1 place really doing gm stuff and everything is order only. and ive seen them take some severe abuse over the years with so many mustangs around here and ive seen more 12 bolts fail with the few gm's. plus from what ive heard in seperate cars obviously is that they are a lot quieter.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why in the world would you need a $2800 12bolt if your not even going to race it?

Biggest beef i have with the people making 8.8s is that they sell them for dam near as much as you can get a 12bolt for.