Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Hooking up TCS

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooking up TCS

OK k here it goes I have the car in my sig 98' T/A M6 it had a 3-carrier 3.42 posi. The new rear came out of a 99' camaro Z I'm guessing its a 4-carrier 3.23 TCS so what all do I have to hook up. I know there is a burnt wire that I'm sure has to be plugged in behind the pass seat in the rear. and I have to add the switch my my shifter. Anything else? Also do I even have to hook it up? Will it still be posi tract or LS? thanks in advance
Old 09-07-2005, 08:24 PM
TECH Resident

Oh yeah the reason the wire is burnt is cause the '99 Z28 A4 caught fire.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If ya was going from a 3 channel to a 4 ya could just swap out the backing plates but if ya got a new 4 channel the 3 channel has the sensor on the side of the ring gear with one sensor and the 4 channel has two on each backing plate it might be a challenge to get it to work!
Old 09-09-2005, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

First, check to see what rear you have. A 3 ch has one sensor in the top of the pumpkin, the 4 ch has one sensor in each brake backing plate.

2nd, if your car is a 3 ch car and your new rear is a 4ch, you will need to convert your new rear to a 3 ch to keep the ABS operational. To do this you would need to drill a couple of holes in the top of the pumpkin for the sensor and mounting screw (mounting screw hole needs to be tapped). Then you can mount the sensor itself. You will also need the reluctor ring to be on the differential instead of on the axles as they are in the 4 ch. rear. You will need to either use the differential from the 3 ch rear or machine the 4 ch diff to accept the 3ch reluctor ring. You don't need to remove the reluctor rings from the 4 ch axles, although you can probably sell them easily if you do.

You might want to consider just picking up a 3 ch housing and using that instead of drilling the necessary holes in yours - would make it a little easier. I have an empty 3 ch housing and a 3 ch reluctor ring if you decide you need one.

If you don't do the conversion, the limited slip will still work but the ABS will not.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

abs is not a prob besides I can always do that later down the road. I was just wondering about the TCS. Now I'm pretty sure on this BUT even though this IS a TCS rear and I WILL hook it up if say it isnt hooked up and the TCS DOesnt work pill I STILL have POSI?
Old 09-09-2005, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

better yet could I just take out the 3.23 TCS unit in the housing and put in my 3.42 posi and pinion in it and use my non-TCS axles change out my backing plates w/o TCS hook up on it will It still work? would that be an easier and quicker way of putting things together? MY DAD IS BITCHIN @ be to move my car but the route hes tellin me to take is causing me to move backwards. I DONT WANT THE TCS BUT THIS HOUSING HAD IT. please can some one answer this soon. Sorry for bein impatient but I WANNA PUT MY BABY BACK 2gether right. If so how hard is it to change out my pinion and do I need another kit

I'D LIKE TO GO THIS ROUTE MUCH MUCH BETTER. IF IT WILL WORK ...or...

Last edited by SmokinHot98; 09-09-2005 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The posi will work no matter what you do, the ABS is the only thing that won't work.

If you don't care about ABS, just slap the thing in there and you are good to go.

Not sure why you are doing the swap though ? What is wrong with your original rear ?

If it is the posi/diff - then just take the posi out of the new rear, bolt the old ring gear to the new posi, and put the new posi into the old rear using the old shims in exactly the same position. The new 4ch posi will not have the "land" machined to accept the ABS reluctor ring on it, but you can have that done simply, and then you ABS will work.

If it is a broken ring/pinion, then take the ring/pinion from the new rear and put them in the old housing with the old posi and your ABS will work.

You don't need to change anything with the backing plates or axles, they will work fine as is.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

yeah its commin together. I did c some things are are diff on each 3ch and 4ch but really not much.