Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Solid Pinion Spacer

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 12:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Solid Pinion Spacer

I'm about to put a Mac Girdle on my 10-bolt to try and help it survive the TCI 4000 I'm about to throw at it. I was also thinking about pulling the gears out, and putting a solid pinion spacer in to replace the crush sleeve.

I know that the gears are set up correctly now. Would it be alright to just take out the crush sleeve, and use a micrometer to match up the crush sleeve size to the spacer size (with shims), and then just reassemble everything? Or should I get the spacer close to what the crush sleeve was, reassemble everything, and use marking compound to check the pattern on the gears?

Any help would be appreciated guys.

Allen
Old 02-13-2006, 07:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's how my mechanic did it, mic'd the crush sleeve and
then set up the shims & hard collar to match the installed
depth. You'd still have to verify contact pattern afterward
and you might want to apply a little "windage" if you think
there is excess play (over-crushed or just beaten in) in the
current setup. But for him it worked straight up and for me,
tight with zero gear noise.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you'll get exactly the right size just by mesuring your crush sleeve - didn't work for me. And I don't think it will have anything to do with your gear pattern - it doesn't move pinion back and forth - pinion shims do. You can use that number for a start point and use in/lbs torque wrench to check pinion preload.
just my 2 cents
Old 02-17-2006, 08:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Firebird!
I don't think you'll get exactly the right size just by mesuring your crush sleeve - didn't work for me. And I don't think it will have anything to do with your gear pattern - it doesn't move pinion back and forth - pinion shims do. You can use that number for a start point and use in/lbs torque wrench to check pinion preload.
just my 2 cents
What is the proper preload for these cars?
Old 02-17-2006, 10:36 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On new bearings 18-20 inch lbs. of rotational torque, and on used bearings you need to adjust by feel. Used bearings will feel sticky if over tightened, mic. out the crush sleeve and start with that. After tightened if they feel tight add .001-.002 at a time until it spins smoothly with out any in & out movement.