Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How do I ask for a gear change at a GM dealer

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 07:22 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I ask for a gear change at a GM dealer

Hi

Re 98 Camaro

I want to change from the 273 to a 342.

I have asked 4 different GM service depts in my area about reprogramming my PCM and non of them know what I was asking. They all when to their computer and then told me there was nothing showing.

Can anyone help me out? Is there a part number I need, or do they need some type of equipment? What should I be asking for?

Thanks JA
Old 03-14-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

you mean recalibrating the speedometer for the gears
Old 03-14-2006, 07:57 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Z28LS1camaroguy
you mean recalibrating the speedometer for the gears

Hi

Yes.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Regular

They cannot do it. You need to go to an aftermarket tuner or get an aftermarket programmer.

Good Luck
Old 03-14-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JGA
Hi

Yes.
Where do you live? DO NOT go to GM. Find a reputable speed shop in your area. Will take them 5 minutes to change or you can send it to Ion (MadZ28) to be converted.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JGA
I have asked 4 different GM service depts in my area about reprogramming my PCM and non of them know what I was asking. They all when to their computer and then told me there was nothing showing.
sorry
Old 03-14-2006, 08:29 PM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, that computer tells everyone at a GM dealer everything they need to do for the day... when to eat, how fast to breathe, when to take a p!$$, you get the picture?

Heaven forbid somebody tries to THINK while they're at work.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:46 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChicagoTransAm
Where do you live? DO NOT go to GM. Find a reputable speed shop in your area. Will take them 5 minutes to change or you can send it to Ion (MadZ28) to be converted.

Hi

Thanks for the info. There are 2 dyno shops in my area but neither of them have edit software. Actually I do not think there are any shops in Western Canada that know how to.

I purchased a Vinci programmer for 98, but I had to send it back for a refund. Unfortunately, it does not work with the Canadian PCM operating system. Atleast that is what Vinci told me.

I don't want to spend $500 on a Hypertech. Edit software like HP Tuners is close to $1000 when imported into Canada, I don't know how to use it anyway.

Pulling out the PCM and sending it to someone might be my only option. It also gets expensive with shipping, exchange, brokerage fees, etc.

I will try Madz28

Thanks

JA
Old 03-14-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW you could think about driving into the US, getting your car tuned, and driving back to Canada, that way you avoid all the shipping, taxes and duties you'd pay
Bear in mind I have no idea how far the closest US city with a tuner is to you.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

tuner pro, which is free, can be used to change the speedo. You'll still have to get Winflash for $20, this is assuming you have a cable.

for 3.42s you want to use these numbers.

Speedometer scaler ---------------------------12
Speedometer scaler,fraction--------------------1.018
Time between pulses for stop-------------------76.35
Pulses per driveshaft revolution-----------------17
Scaler scantool--------------------------------46.227
Old 03-15-2006, 05:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Granted it is for a different vehicle, when I called two local dealers, they both said they could do it and the charge was an hour labor rate.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:18 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JGA

I purchased a Vinci programmer for 98, but I had to send it back for a refund. Unfortunately, it does not work with the Canadian PCM operating system. Atleast that is what Vinci told me.
and here i was thinking all 4th gen f-bodies were canadian...
Old 03-16-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WHere do u get a cable ? for tuner pro? or how ?
Old 03-17-2006, 01:20 AM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Silver-Dollar
Granted it is for a different vehicle, when I called two local dealers, they both said they could do it and the charge was an hour labor rate.
Hi

Ya I got the feeling that because my car is a 98 it was more difficult. I think it is easier for them on a newer car. That is good news. I will keep trying. There are many other GM dealers around here.

Thanks JA
Old 03-17-2006, 01:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Where in Canda are you? And don't take it to GM.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:24 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alpha-Q
Where in Canda are you? And don't take it to GM.

Hi

Vancouver, BC
Close enough to Seatle

Thanks

JA
Old 03-17-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by JGA
Hi

Vancouver, BC
Close enough to Seatle

Thanks

JA
GO TO MOPAC auto in LANGLEY.....they tune....+ anything you need + dyno.....have you not been to their shop..its at 200th just south of the freeway - HWY # 1 - on the west side..you can't miss it. ITS HUGE... BTW..THE COMPUTERS ARE THE SAME,EXCEPT the calibration from miles to kilometers. you say 2 dyno shops do not know what to do??? I sure don't know which ones you are referring to.

Last edited by NHRAMAN; 03-17-2006 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:31 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
GO TO MOPAC auto in LANGLEY.....they tune....+ anything you need + dyno.....have you not been to their shop..its at 200th just south of the freeway - HWY # 1 - on the west side..you can't miss it. ITS HUGE... BTW..THE COMPUTERS ARE THE SAME,EXCEPT the calibration from miles to kilometers. you say 2 dyno shops do not know what to do??? I sure don't know which ones you are referring to.
Hi

I use Mopac alot. They give me great prices and service. They installed most of my suspension mods. They have Mustang dyno and advertise dyno session for $75.00 and a dyno tune for $150.

However, they have absolutely no tuning software for any make or model. I had my car on their dyno and they charged me $175 for a dyno graph. There was some extra time as my car experienced an engine code while on the dyno. I think I had bad fuel at the time. I feel $175 for a dyno graph is quite over priced.

I asked what the difference was between a dyno session and a dyno tune and they could not give me a real answer. Unfortunatley they do not go into the PCM to do any tuning. I believe they send PCMs out to an American source for a mail order tune.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trashing Mopac. I will return to them for future work. There is just not enough of a local market for them to make it worth while to buy a tuning suite.

I was refuring to Mopac and Haney Hi-Performance. Haney can tune, but also do not have software.

How do you like your True Trac? IWE wants to install an Eaton and claims it is more reliable. I have heard the True Trac is realy nice. Just woundering the best way to go, once I figure out how to do my PCM.

Thanks JA

Last edited by JGA; 03-18-2006 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

hey im from langley do NOT get mopac to do it i had them weld a cat on to my car after i did my header install and the morons forgot to tighten the header bolts back to the y-pipe.....i know a guy in north vancouver that is the best lt-1 guy around i recomend him for EVERYTHING get a hold of canadain high performance e mial them or whatever you have to do, i think he may be able to help you, just explain your situation, he has tuned mine twice he does quality work and a great guy
Old 03-18-2006, 07:02 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steez
hey im from langley do NOT get mopac to do it i had them weld a cat on to my car after i did my header install and the morons forgot to tighten the header bolts back to the y-pipe.....i know a guy in north vancouver that is the best lt-1 guy around i recomend him for EVERYTHING get a hold of canadain high performance e mial them or whatever you have to do, i think he may be able to help you, just explain your situation, he has tuned mine twice he does quality work and a great guy

Hi

Thanks

JA