Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

I Want a 9 Inch, but God Doesn't!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 08:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down I Want a 9 Inch, but God Doesn't!

I'm about to drop the major coin and buy a Moser rear axle for my SS. I've been torn between a 12 bolt and a 9 inch for quite some time now, but I like the 9 inch because if I ever want to go all out, ***** to the wall, race only, the 9 inch can be more strongly built than the 12 bolt. So I start investigating...

I want an aluminum center section for weight savings. I'm not even considering the nodular.

I originally would've liked the 35 spline/detroit locker setup...until I drove one! That thing was miserable, and I still like logging street miles with the car. The locker is definitely out, along with a spool (for obvious reasons).

I started looking into posi units, but I don't like putting clutch packs in every year. The car is going to be abused (6k clutch drops at the track, etc), and I want a gear setup that is going to hold up!

...Then I started reading about the Truetrac. Alas! Great street manners, no need to ever replace clutch packs - we have a winner! Or so I thought. I at least wanted a 33 spline setup. No dice! You can only get a Truetrac in a 9inch using a 31 spline setup. No big deal, I'll likely never break the 31 splines anyways.

Guess what? You can't get a Truetrac unit inside of the Aluminum center section.

I'm at my wit's end. I can get a 12 bolt, 33 spline TrueTrac setup, and thats likely what I'll do. I just don't want to spend all this coin and then break the rear end. My buddy is leaving at 6500RPM in a 6spd car like mine, and has literally bent the teeth on his 4.56 gear! I hope I can avoid that problem, as well (I'll be using 4.10s.) His rear end whines terribly on deceleration.

I just wanted to use this thread to vent my frustration in what seems like a never-ending saga to find a 9" that I'll be happy with. I guess it's not going to happen.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with you. Everything I like won't work. Look on the bright side you get a few more people ordering with you and then it is 15% off
Old 03-16-2006, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

go with a strange S casting center section, i just got one from DLS check the sponsor section
Old 03-16-2006, 10:58 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the soft locker 31 spline in an aluminuim moser center section with the daytona pinion? who told you that wouldnt work? I ran it for 2 years
Old 03-16-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

aluminum center + street miles = worn out gears. There is too much deflection in the aluminum making it not the best choice for street
Old 03-16-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah it took me a while to deliberate on what I wanted.

I know people say that a 9 inch is stronger, and it might be, but it's not like you see stories left and right about people breaking 12 bolts. Really, anything is a mass improvement over what you've got, look at it that way...

I ended up going with a basic Strange 12 bolt, eaton posi, 3.90's. We'll see how it does. I really just want to get my car back together and run some good passes, and be solid and driveable.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Same here, it was a complete compromise what I ended up getting (Strange 12-bolt, Eaton Posi, and 4.11s). I originally wanted a 9" with a True-Trac, but the more I researched the more I realized that the trade-offs weren't worth it for me. Too much hp loss, fitment issues. I definitely didn't want an Eaton Posi, but I didn't want a Moser either because of all the pre-assembly required (and a couple other issues), so the True-Trac went out the window too.

I received the Strange a couple days ago and it is truly a beautiful piece of equipment to look at, talk about amazing welds! It looks like I did as good as I possibly could all things considered. You'll eventually finish sifting through all the options and settle on the setup with the compromises you think you can live with. Hang in there!
Old 03-16-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Why not the new Strange Dana 60? Buddy of mine has one on the way, we should be installing it within a couple weeks...
Old 03-16-2006, 03:29 PM
Staging Lane

vote number two for the S60. i just purchased one... Truetrac and 35 spline axles and cheaper than a 9 inch...
Old 03-16-2006, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

vote #3&4 i just ordered 2
Old 03-16-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

i got a 9" moser 31 spline axles w/ a locker....locker locker locker....hmmm wish i had a soft locker it drives fine until you make those things called turns then i go ahhhhhhhhh as the clunking begins and makes all sorts of nasty sounds.....i heard about posis blowin cause of launchin hard but never saw 1 yet....i just wanted 1 that helped with the track and still had SOME drivability....soft locker is way better from what i hear...i have no experience with a 12 bolt though so dont just toss it out the window....sooo in the great words of dane cook....choose wisely!
Old 03-16-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ah its a race car, get a 9 Inch and full spool. You will save some money, and it will handle the 6000RPM clutch dumps you speak of.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:06 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

The Moser 9 inch with 31 spline axles, nodular center section (it's only 15 pounds heavier than the aluminum center) and the Truetrak is a great way to go. We install quite a few of these at my shop, and I have not run into fitment problems. I like the fact that the Moser 9 inch retains the factory two bolt mounting for the torque arm. With the Moser 12 bolt and the Moser 9 inch, the factory driveshaft length is retained, as well as any torque arm you wish to use will work. I have heard of several people saying their factory driveshaft worked, but they felt it was .5" too short, but I haven't ever noticed any problems. I suppose production tolerances could account for any discrepencies. Bob
Old 03-17-2006, 06:50 AM
TECH Resident

The stock D/S with my 9" is dead on. I also run a fools spool. The tires moan a little going around tight turns, but I wouldn't want it any other way.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:13 AM
11 Second Club

another vote for the dana 60. Just ordered mine. 35 spline w/ a tru trac. street/strip car by the way.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

I find it kinda funny that so many people in this thread are voting for a rearend that they have never used or even seen in action. It does sound like a nice piece of equipment, but at the time so did the Edsel.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blue01ta
I find it kinda funny that so many people in this thread are voting for a rearend that they have never used or even seen in action. It does sound like a nice piece of equipment, but at the time so did the Edsel.

Good point, but its been a proven rearend for a LONG time, but not i a newer f-body I guess.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blue01ta
agreed.. its bigger and heavier than the 9". seems like overkill unless u are running single digits
Old 03-17-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

I'm not trying to say anything bad about the D60. I have a couple trucks that employed them and never had an issue with either what so ever. But I also owned and seen some pretty healthy Mustangs running an 8.8, some in the single digits without a problem. But that rear doesn't work too well in our cars. I understand that the previous statement is not exactly the same but it does prove my point.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Who are ya'll talking to about the d60. I'm thinking about something like that. How much more does it weigh...It would be awesome to have a sticky with the pro's and con's of each type of rear-end for the f-body, as well as prices and weights, etc..