Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Gears let go on trip home, stuck in Knoxville TN.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Gears let go on trip home, stuck in Knoxville TN.

Well, our 3.42's let go in the Camaro on the way home. We just purchased the car yesterday. We pulled the diff. cover off and sure enough there is a chunk out of the pinion gear and the ring gear is shaved all the way around. I called the local dealership to see if they had some 3.73's and what they would charge to slap them in, figured may as well upgrade at this point. They told me that we could not use the same carrier with the 3.73's and there was no way to ever correct the speedometer They also said it would be $1200 to do so, lol.

So, Advaced Auto parts says they can order the 3.73's and get them here by tomorrow at 7a.m. for us. Is there anyone in the area you would recommend taking the car to or anyone out there that has the tools and the knowledge in the area who wants to help us out? We pay well in pizza and beer to those interested

On a side note, it is to my understanding that as long as we get the 3.73's for a 3 series carrier that they should go right in. Am I mistaken in this? Also, we have a friend that can calibrate the speedometer once we get back to Orlando. Any suggestions about how to proceed would be welcome.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its a 6 speed yes a 3 series carrier is correct. IMO you should get the gm limited slip additive just in case. Better to have lil gear whine as possible. Are you getting install kit? Might as well replace sum bearings while you got the chance. I called the dealer for pricing and yea they told me 450 or so just to swap them.

LOL .......the guy was like when do you want to do it?
I kinda smirked and said na its all good, thanx for the estimate. Yikes..!! I feel for peeps that dont know any betta and take it to the dealers. If your insurance or your warranty is payin then by all means, otherwise Daayyummm!.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:35 PM
Teching In

well, we are overnighting some motive 3.73 and an install kit from thunder racing to TN. We need to go hunt down a dial caliper with a magnetic base and an adjustable stand. LOL, I hope Sears has it. Its an Auto by the way. It had 3.23's in it before so this should be quite a boost.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

"for cars that came stock with 2.73 gears (2 series carrier.) Cars that came with 3.23 or 3.42 gears from the factory will use a 3 series carrier gear"

Hopefully that helps.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

Oh man Adam, that really sucks. You know Id be coming out there with gears in the bed or a trailer if I still lived in the states. Good luck with everything, hope your brother enjoys the car.

Let me know how it all works out when you get back.

Last edited by Charging TA; 03-23-2006 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:03 PM
Teching In

Thanks man, We are off to a harbor frieght now to get the dial caliper we need, lol. Throw away tools for teh win!
Old 03-23-2006, 05:27 PM
Teching In

oh man, we stumbled across a haven of hot-rod awesomeness that actually had everything we needed in stock. We were looking for a Harbor Freight when we saw this:

so I called thunder and cancelled the order. It was awesome. Funny thing, the guys inside the store had heard of FuelSlut, lol. Its raining now so I guess we will be installing the gears in the AM. So much for leaving tonight.

http://www.tnhotrodbarn.com/

they had everything, I mean everything you could possibly want and all in stock.

Old 03-23-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

Man that really sucks to be stuck like that...hope it all ends up okay.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

just seen this thread.if ya need any help or anything let me know.yes the hot rod barn has everything and then some.who did you deal with.greg is a great guy to buys parts from.hes the young guy in there.i sent ya a p.m. with my cell number.if its srill raining on friday let me know.we'll haul it to the shop and do it on the lift.