Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

HELP!! Slammed rear wheel into a curb

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! Slammed rear wheel into a curb

Im not sure if anyone can give me help on this, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My car is 2002 SS SLP Camaro, Automatic Tran, 18"x10.5" Z06 Replica wheels

My rear driver side wheel impacted a curb going about 30 mph, I was doing a simple lane change in the rain and hit a huge oil slick in the road, car started drifting out of control and slammed sideways into a cement curb, the wheel is scratched up but now there is a bad squeaking sound coming from the rear end.
Has anybody had this happened to them before? What can i anticipate as the problem?
Im getting the car check out a the local chevy dealer soon, any input on repairs/upgrades would be very helpfull.

Thanks,
Milton
Old 04-03-2006, 03:14 PM
12 Second Club

you more than likely have a bent axle. I was hit on my passenger side rear quarterpanel a while back. I got the car back from the dealer and started noticing a slight "rubbing sound" coming from that side of the car. After numerous trips back to the dealer and lots of money and time wasted i just gave up and lived with it. But it was annoying me sooooo much. Well i got a new 10 bolt for my car to use as a backup incase mine decided to die on me. And when i pulled the passenger axle out of the car i could see how it was bent very slightly near the hub. There were also very obvious grind marks where the wheel bearing was rubbing the axle bad. If i were you i would pull my axle out and check it good. You can get an axle for it for under 50 bucks easy! Thats just my .02 If you take it to a shop you might be out a lot more money than you want to be! If you need any help on how to pull that axle shoot me a pm and i'll help ya out!

Brent
Old 04-03-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely, just a bent axle. If it hit hard enough then maybe a bent backing plate, and worst-case scenario, the housing. A bent axle is very simple to replace.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Default thanks for the tips!

Your insight is much appreciated and will surely save me some guessing in the long run. I will keep you updated on my cars status!
thanks again,
Milton
Old 04-03-2006, 04:29 PM
Launching!

Ah man that happened to me in my truck... hopefully it just an axle. I had aluminum boyd coddingtons on the truck... didn't hurt the read end at all, just gashed the hell out the lip and bent the wheel pretty bad
Old 04-03-2006, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

I would pull the axle on the side you hit and also pull the lid off the back and have a look, only take a little bit of time.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Default Update on My SS

I just got results back on my car, it turns out the wheel and the axel is totally bent, I hope that is all that is wrong??
Old 04-03-2006, 06:35 PM
Launching!

Bent wheel sucks! Does it not feel real shaky when you drive it? I know my truck did with the bent wheel.

What wheels do you have? I have some stock 16x8 (I think... my neighbor gave them to me) you can have for shipping if it's the same kind.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:36 PM
Launching!

Ooo nvm.. SS.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:13 PM
Launching!

I had a '90 Blazer with a 10 bolt that took a hit on the driver's side wheel/tire when I slid through a wet intersection. No funny noises, no apparent damage, until the c-clip broke and the axle, brake drum, wheel and tire (all still perfectly attached to one another) disconnected from the differential and came out of the axle tube at 70 mph on the freeway. It looked like a spear attached to a tire going down the road. I was scared crapless. The truck fell down onto the axle tube and bent it all to hell. The whole rear end was shot and left a 2" deep gouge for like, 300 yards on the freeway pavement.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

the same thing happened to me in my LT1. i ended up folding the stock panhard bar, bending a lower control arm, bending the axle, and some how bent the rotor.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Launching!

Freaky, huh? Makes you wish they'd put real rear ends in their cars.

Quick Reply: HELP!! Slammed rear wheel into a curb