Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Problems w/ ABS/ASR on Moser 9"

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problems w/ ABS/ASR on Moser 9"

I have a Moser 9" that is setup for 4-channel, and whenever the driver's side rear tire hits a bump the "ABS Inoperable" and the "ASR Off" lights come on at the same time. When this happens both lights will stay on until they eventually reset. I can't turn ASR back on until it resets. When the lights reset it usually only takes a minute for me to hit another bump and then they come back on. This problem has been going on for two weeks now, and it's really getting irritating. I can hear something clunk on the driver's side of the rear when I hit a bump, and thought that it was my LCA at first. I replaced the bushings in the LCA, and made sure that everything was tight on the rear suspension. It doesn't clunk as bad anymore, but I still have the same problem as before with the ABS and ASR. I've checked to make sure that both connectors were plugged into the sensors on the rear, and they were. When I took the car for a test-drive after checking everything the lights came back on, and one time when I was coming to a stop I let off of the brake pedal, but heard something rubbing on the driver's side of the rearend. Does anybody have any ideas on things that I should check?
Old 05-15-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

make sure the wires are not getting pinched or crushed between the bump stop and the axle tube
Old 05-16-2006, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok thanks. I checked them yesterday, but may have missed something. I'll look at them again today. Any other ideas?
Old 05-16-2006, 10:05 AM
12 Second Club

Somethings loose or pinched like 01350SS said. If it only does it hitting a bump, not really sure how it could be anything other. Keep us posted
Old 05-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Restricted User

I had the same issue shortly after install, but only set it off once on a good pothole. I have noticed it seems hyper sensitive to rough pavement, setting the low trac light on, even when the ASR is off. I was thinking it may be a relationship issue where the sensor is closer/farther away from the reluctor than stock making it act this way? I have checked and double checked the wiring, but nothing jumps out as being a pinch point.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, I checked all of the wires again, and moved some more around just to make sure that they wouldn't get pinched. The lights went off and then came right back on. Could the sensors be bad?
Old 05-16-2006, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably not...there is probably a problem (wow thats a lot of PROB in seven words ) with the gap between the sensor itself and the reluctor wheel on the axle.

I am having the same problem myself, and it is very frustrating. Mine is worse though seeing as my lights stay on all the time. My ABS/ASR hasn't worked since I broke my 10 bolt (now have a 12). I swapped sensors, that was not the problem. Still getting the same, "left rear circuit malfunction". My wiring is fine and everything.

I messaged Scott@Driveline solutions and he suggested checking the clearance between the sensor and the wheel. It looks fine to me, it's the same as the right sensor (which works fine).

I'm totally at the end of my rope with this. I don't know what else to do.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by keliente
Probably not...there is probably a problem (wow thats a lot of PROB in seven words ) with the gap between the sensor itself and the reluctor wheel on the axle.

I am having the same problem myself, and it is very frustrating. Mine is worse though seeing as my lights stay on all the time. My ABS/ASR hasn't worked since I broke my 10 bolt (now have a 12). I swapped sensors, that was not the problem. Still getting the same, "left rear circuit malfunction". My wiring is fine and everything.

I messaged Scott@Driveline solutions and he suggested checking the clearance between the sensor and the wheel. It looks fine to me, it's the same as the right sensor (which works fine).

I'm totally at the end of my rope with this. I don't know what else to do.
Scott @ Driveline Solutions built this rearend, and it has been great so far. Just having this problem now. I'll check the clearance between the sensor and the wheel. This is getting to be a huge pain in the *** though.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:00 PM
12 Second Club

Maybe cleaning the sensors up and the magnetic bar thingy to the recluctor ring might help with the lights. I wiped mine down and took the metal particle build up off and it worked for me. As for the clunking noise double check ur LCA nuts on the rearend bracket. Mine made noise from coming lose and having a bit of play.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by red_pacu1
Maybe cleaning the sensors up and the magnetic bar thingy to the recluctor ring might help with the lights. I wiped mine down and took the metal particle build up off and it worked for me. As for the clunking noise double check ur LCA nuts on the rearend bracket. Mine made noise from coming lose and having a bit of play.
I did notice some metal particles earlier when I cleaned up the sensor plugs. I'll look at the magnetic bar that you're talking about tomorrow, and wipe it down.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

Cleaning mine off did not help.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

UPDATE: Figured out the problem...

If you are experiencing this same problem then I strongly suggest that you check to make sure that the bolts holding your axle in are tight. I was on my way home from the track last night, and the axle on the driver's side just about walked all the way out of the axle tube. That is the side that I've been hearing the noise on. I pulled on that wheel last week just to see if there was any slack in it, and didn't feel any. That's what it was though.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

jesus christ man you are lucky! that would have been bad news. anybody ever try "wiring" the bolts/nuts together like they do on racing brakes? on racing brakes the hats and rotors are 2 pieces, people take some type of wire and literally tie all the bolts together, then tightened the wire. this prevents the bolts from turning, and the nuts from backing off. I have every intention on trying this with mine.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CRL 01 SS
UPDATE: Figured out the problem...

If you are experiencing this same problem then I strongly suggest that you check to make sure that the bolts holding your axle in are tight. I was on my way home from the track last night, and the axle on the driver's side just about walked all the way out of the axle tube. That is the side that I've been hearing the noise on. I pulled on that wheel last week just to see if there was any slack in it, and didn't feel any. That's what it was though.
My axles are tight. This problem is really starting to get on my nerves because it feels like it screws with my brakes (obviously it does). At the end of a pass I hit the brakes and the pedal notches downward, like it is only applying ABS to the one wheel in the back (with the operative sensor). I thought that if there was any fault in the ABS system that it would completely disable, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Originally Posted by 01350ss
jesus christ man you are lucky! that would have been bad news. anybody ever try "wiring" the bolts/nuts together like they do on racing brakes? on racing brakes the hats and rotors are 2 pieces, people take some type of wire and literally tie all the bolts together, then tightened the wire. this prevents the bolts from turning, and the nuts from backing off. I have every intention on trying this with mine.
"safety wire" is what it's called.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

did you ever find a solution to this or does anyone else know what is going on? mine is doing this. would appreciate any insight.