Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What should I do?

Well my POSI is busted Car in neutral, turn one wheel the other stops very easily if you just grab it and sometimes the other won't even turn.

So my question is, is it dangerous to drive around with a broken POSI unit ? Am I better off just waiting to buy a 12 bolt or should I replace the POSI ?
Old 05-24-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the other wheel does not have to spin if the driveshaft is spinning.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by alamantia
the other wheel does not have to spin if the driveshaft is spinning.
huh?........ explain please?
Old 05-24-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

with a torsen, if the rear of the car is in the air and you spin an axle what is the axle going to turn in the differential? Its either going to spin the ring gear which will turn the pinion which will turn the driveshaft, or its going to spin the spider (worm) gears while the ring gear stays stationary and in effect turn the opposite axle in the reverse direction. So in essance, when you spin the tire, either the driveshaft or the other wheel will have movement. Lock your transmission and try it.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:03 AM
TECH Junkie

with a torsen, if the rear of the car is in the air and you spin an axle what is the axle going to turn in the differential? Its either going to spin the ring gear which will turn the pinion which will turn the driveshaft, or its going to spin the spider (worm) gears while the ring gear stays stationary and in effect turn the opposite axle in the reverse direction. So in essance, when you spin the tire, either the driveshaft or the other wheel will have movement. Lock your transmission and try it.
So are you saying put it in drive or park and try it ? In park it works like it should, one wheel turns the opposite way from the other
Old 05-24-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

there ya go...
Old 05-24-2006, 11:19 AM
TECH Junkie

there ya go...
See I thought it made more sense to test it in park or drive, but one of my ******** friends who thinks hes a damn mechanic insisted you gotta test it in neutral. In that case it DEFINETELY works FINE in park. What a ********....

Thanks alot alamantia
Old 05-24-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

if it were a clutch style posi the clutches, or cones, the clutches would apply force on both axles and would keep both wheels locked when you spin them, therefore you would have to put the car in nutral to spin the axles. With an open carrier or torsen style posi the internal gears will cause the wheels to spin in the opposite direction as there are no clutches or cones keeping them "locked" so your friend is not a ********, he just may have not known torsens were installed in camaros, or he may not be familiar with how a torsen works. Now the guy who told my friend to replace his altenator when his car had a rough idle (which even my grandmother knows thats a sure sign of a vaccum leak) now that guys is a ********.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Junkie

if it were a clutch style posi the clutches, or cones, the clutches would apply force on both axles and would keep both wheels locked when you spin them, therefore you would have to put the car in nutral to spin the axles. With an open carrier or torsen style posi the internal gears will cause the wheels to spin in the opposite direction as there are no clutches or cones keeping them "locked" so your friend is not a ********, he just may have not known torsens were installed in camaros, or he may not be familiar with how a torsen works. Now the guy who told my friend to replace his altenator when his car had a rough idle (which even my grandmother knows thats a sure sign of a vaccum leak) now that guys is a ********.
Well... trust me he's still a ********
Old 05-24-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

We all have friends like that, they uaually drive mustangs too
Old 05-24-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Junkie

We all have friends like that, they uaually drive mustangs too
Close enough, he drives a ford
Old 05-24-2006, 02:39 PM