Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Installed gears and car whines

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 01:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installed gears and car whines

I had a friend of mine install some motive 4.10 gears on my car yesterday, Everything was cool for the whole day but today it started whining when ever I shift it into any gear above 3rd gear. It whines the loudest when I accelarate about 15%. Does anyone know what it could be? By the way I have a 1998 camaro ss and I checked the tranny fluid and it was missing about 1qt or just a little more. Do you think its the tranny maybe that some bearing went out or something? Thanks any info would help.
-Ivan
Old 05-26-2006, 01:47 AM
TECH Regular

It is very crucial that the gears be set up right. If your friend is not so experienced with this, I would have someone take it apart and set it up correctly. Supposedly, the Motives are very quiet when set up properly so you know something is not right. The sooner it is fixed, the better. I have had gears ruined because of this.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

He is a pro-engine builder and he knows what he is doing. He redid the gears and it still whines but I think I know what the problem is. We rechecked the tranny oil and it was still low meaning it was missing a little short of 2qt. The car whines when I am putting it into gear and then when I accelerate it when its in gear. I think something is up with the tranny. What do you guys think?
Old 05-27-2006, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hypoid gears rely on pressure. Gear whine comes from pressure between the pinion gear and ring gear. If the gears are set up with the proper amount of baklash they should not whine. Once you set gears up once and they establish a mesh pattern any slight change in how thay are set up which will result in a different pattern may also cause whine. 4.10's generaly are noted to be tough to set up for quiet operation. I do not see the coralation between transmission fluid and the rear end... that escapes me. If your wondering why gear whine is only present in when the cars is in a certin gear, thats because the gearing in the transmission multiplys torque sent to the drive shaft, hence different pressure on the ring & pinion, different harmonic tone, different whine.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:01 AM
Banned

I would take the pan off the trans if thats your concern. Lots of metal could mean a problem. I think it's the gear set up though. I've had a few that whine a little on coast or with little throttle. But if they whine on acceleration, it always comes apart and gets fully inspected and re-set up.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't worry about a small whine... Every car I have owned I swapped the gears out and typically with 4.10's you will get a small amount of whine at 70mph or more... From experience, a loose gear setup whine's on dec, and tight gear setup whine's on accel.. just my .02

Make your exhaust louder and forget about it...
Old 05-30-2006, 05:44 PM
Banned

Old 06-30-2006, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

We finally figured it out and we took off the gears and sent them to motive and they were a bad set of gears. They were not heat treated. Thank god it was the gears only.
-Ivan