Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Asking a question for Ms. "Hot Pink Z28"

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Asking a question for Ms. "Hot Pink Z28"

Ok....here's the deal....

For the guys that hang out in the Appearance forum, you might remember my post there about my friend who bought a used 98 Z28 and wanted to paint it pink.

Well...this car has more problems than we originally thought. She took it in yesterday for a quick once over and oil change. The car is a A4 GU2, meaning 2.73 gears, and according to her, you could move the wheels back and forth while the car was on the lift. The car was leaking rear end fluid through the pinion seal and through the driver side axle seal, or whatever you call that thing. The guy that looked at it said that the rear end was pretty much dry. Since it is a 98, it probably has an Auburn differential in it which seems to hold true since the car spins it's tires very easily...considering it's totally stock with what looks like the stock air filter in there. So I am thinking the clutch pack is worn out due to the lack of fluid. No wonder it wasn't leaking any fluid when we bought it...there was nothing to leak out. I really don't know how bad the rear really is...but it seemed to drive fairly normal when we test drove it. For now the guy put some rear end fluid in it...lets hope it holds up.

So the supsicion so far is a bad Auburn differential and probably bad axle bearings, and I wouldn't be surprised if the gears are screwed up too.

The plan so far is as follows: I ordered a gear install kit from Thunder Racing since it contains most of the seals and bearings we'll have to replace later on anyhow.

My buddy is going to do a gear swap on my car which is also a 98 but a M6, and I am going from the stock 3.42 to 4.10s. My other buddy has a 99 Z28 M6 into which he installed a stronger Torsen differential, he still has his stock differential, so we were thinking of putting that differential in her car in place of the suspected Auburn that's probably now in her car using my 3.42 gears.

Do you guys think that will work out ok, or am I missing something? The car is now her daily driver, since her 95 V6 Camaro no longer likes going reverse....dunno what happened to that thing.....so since she has school and work, we have to get this all over with as quickly and smoothly as possible, so I don't want to run into any unforseen problems or potentially be missing parts.

I just hope the axles themselves are ok.

Opinions?
Old 05-08-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

The carrier from your buddies M6 will work fine with your gears since it is a 3-series carrier. The whole thing should just bolt right into your friends car. You will need to use a dial indicator and magnetic base in order to check the backlash with the new gears, so just be sure to have that. You do have the paddle that is going into the rear (keeps the c-clips from falling out)? Other than that, you should be good to go.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

x2...what your planning on doing will work just fine
Old 05-08-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool...lets hope the axles are fine. What's the paddle thing? Does that only apply to aftermarket gears?
Old 05-08-2007, 06:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

the paddle thing as krab called it is just a 3/4 inch rod that slides up the middle of the differential to keep the gut of the differential intact and the axles from moving to much. It is just held in by a small bolt and should be with your buddies carrier assembly
Old 05-08-2007, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

my experience with a 2.73 was that, driving from oklahoma to n.y. heard some gear noise on the way home. took it to jiffy lube for fluid changes. student said the diff. was pretty empty. bought car from dealer.i was pissed. filled it up. on my merry way. some months later noise getting worse and close to warranty ending. took to dealer they gave me a runaround. so,another month goes by i bring it back to the same dealer. turns out one of the bearings blew up and the ring and pinion had chunks taken out of it. FUCKED UP POINT IS, THE CAR WAS STILL DRIVEABLE!! The dealer replaced every little and big part in the diff. free of charge!! i was never abusive on the rear either. but it didn't have an auburn in it. it was the torsen.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99HUGGRSS
my experience with a 2.73 was that, driving from oklahoma to n.y. heard some gear noise on the way home. took it to jiffy lube for fluid changes. student said the diff. was pretty empty. bought car from dealer.i was pissed. filled it up. on my merry way. some months later noise getting worse and close to warranty ending. took to dealer they gave me a runaround. so,another month goes by i bring it back to the same dealer. turns out one of the bearings blew up and the ring and pinion had chunks taken out of it. FUCKED UP POINT IS, THE CAR WAS STILL DRIVEABLE!! The dealer replaced every little and big part in the diff. free of charge!! i was never abusive on the rear either. but it didn't have an auburn in it. it was the torsen.
Yours is a 99 I take it? That would explain the Torsen.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

Default 2.73

Originally Posted by MannyZ28
Yours is a 99 I take it? That would explain the Torsen.
no. it was a 2000 z-28