Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

The time is approaching... which rear end specifically for my setup/desires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 12:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default The time is approaching... which rear end specifically for my setup/desires?

After having unusable power for so long, I believe the time has come to put it to use. I will be getting a new rear end. The question is, which type/brand/gears/spline/etc...

This is an M6 with ABS, which I would like to keep, so I need a 3 channel rear. I cannot be convinced otherwise as this is driven on the street and I am not the type to sacrifice such an important safety device. It is a daily driver with a big cam (putting down 475/440 on a mustang dyno) that makes me hate life around the city with my stock 3.42's. However, I do take it on occasional trips that require a good amount of highway driving, so I will not be considering crazy gears like 4.56's. This is a 99% street car, but I would like to start taking it to the track occasionally once I get a strong enough rear for a couple reasons... a) I'm interested to see what it can run, and b) I'm tired of people asking what it runs! So, keep in mind that the track is a rarity, but the option to take it there, have some fun, and be able to drive home is a necessity. I'm looking for great street manners and the least amount of nuisances (aka gear whine, modifications to fit, etc.) as possible. I'm not looking for the strongest rear in the world, but one that will take the abuse on the street if I decide to put some 11" DR's on it and take it on the street or to the track.

These are my goals. If I've missed anything, please ask. I am looking for any and all feedback that will help me reach these goals with the new rear end.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are running a 475 rwhp 408 with the stock rear end and it's still alive? You must be very careful driving that car with that much power on tap! I am in no position to give you any advice unfortunately, but reading how much power you make using the stock gears and rear end, gives me a glimmer of hope that the 4.10s we put into my 375 rwhp car might actually have a chance to live since I am far from a crazy driver and never take the car to the track.

Good luck finding the right rear end!
Old 05-15-2007, 01:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

The key to my rear end's long life is the 3 year old KDW's that are dry rotting from age Sadly they still have about 50% life left, even with some spirited burnouts in hopes of burning them down. Shows you how much driving this thing sees in a year. When I said daily driver, I meant that in the aspect that it is very much able to be driven every day and I would like to, but can't considering its horrendous mpg and the fact that I trust no one in a parking lot.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah...I used to worry less when I had my old Yokohama AVS Sports on the car, those things were useless as far as traction goes, even with LCA's and an adjustable body mounted torque arm, going sideways was just part of life. Then I put the BFG KD on there, and the car hooks like a **** now...well...it did, now I have 4.10s in there, the install of which will be buttoned up tomorrow, so...suffice it to say, I'll be very gentle on the car....and the new tires for a long time.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to almost quote u, "real men dont need rear ends"
Old 05-15-2007, 04:48 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
After having unusable power for so long, I believe the time has come to put it to use. I will be getting a new rear end. The question is, which type/brand/gears/spline/etc...

This is an M6 with ABS, which I would like to keep, so I need a 3 channel rear. I cannot be convinced otherwise as this is driven on the street and I am not the type to sacrifice such an important safety device. It is a daily driver with a big cam (putting down 475/440 on a mustang dyno) that makes me hate life around the city with my stock 3.42's. However, I do take it on occasional trips that require a good amount of highway driving, so I will not be considering crazy gears like 4.56's. This is a 99% street car, but I would like to start taking it to the track occasionally once I get a strong enough rear for a couple reasons... a) I'm interested to see what it can run, and b) I'm tired of people asking what it runs! So, keep in mind that the track is a rarity, but the option to take it there, have some fun, and be able to drive home is a necessity. I'm looking for great street manners and the least amount of nuisances (aka gear whine, modifications to fit, etc.) as possible. I'm not looking for the strongest rear in the world, but one that will take the abuse on the street if I decide to put some 11" DR's on it and take it on the street or to the track.

These are my goals. If I've missed anything, please ask. I am looking for any and all feedback that will help me reach these goals with the new rear end.

A Moser 12 bolt with Truetrac, 33 spline axles, performance cover and ABS sounds like a good way to go for your application. You've managed to keep the 10 bolt alive, so a 12 bolt to keep the ABS seems like the best route. I'd go with 4.10 gears.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=146
Bob
Old 05-15-2007, 05:18 AM
Staging Lane

I second talking to Bob @ EPP. He will get you setup. I ordered my 9" through him almost finished putting it in (just gotta get my driveshaft redone and bleed the brakes).
Old 05-15-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2002/Black/SS
to almost quote u, "real men dont need rear ends"
Haha, thanks. I do plan on being a real man and blowing this one up as soon as I get the new rear end though
Old 05-15-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
A Moser 12 bolt with Truetrac, 33 spline axles, performance cover and ABS sounds like a good way to go for your application. You've managed to keep the 10 bolt alive, so a 12 bolt to keep the ABS seems like the best route. I'd go with 4.10 gears.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=146
Bob
4.10's aren't an option for your Moser. Also, I am on the fence about Moser's torque arm bolt setup versus the Strange. I've heard mixed reviews about it.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

TTT. I would like to get something figured out in the next week.

What type of diff would work best for me? I'm thinking a posi truetrac, but that's only speculation.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:35 AM
12 Second Club

See, I would say the opposite. Considering the power you're making, I would go with a 9". The reason being, some clues you've given. Obviously you don't do as spirited driving as some of us do. So what, it seems you've built a pretty stout beast even if you're not using the power every day. I'm leaning towards the 9 because for one, you're probably not doing the work yourself. If you did, you would drive the **** out of it because you know you could fix it. Two, it is one of the strongest rears out there. People aspire to having a 9" rear so it will be worth more money in the future when horsepower becomes cheaper for these cars. Too many people go the cheap route and end up unhappy beacause the 12 bolt didn't handle like they thought it would, hence looking up to a 9 inch because it's strong. Prices tend to increase when items are not as easy to come by. Then there's the downside, a few hundred dollars more and a little less power due to weight and pinion location. Well, you say you don't use the power daily so the only downside I see is money. Can you spare it?
Paul
Old 05-22-2007, 02:40 AM
TECH Resident

There is alot of power under your hood, do you plan on using it to full advantage at the track? I mean are you really going to see what the car can do or are you going to pussyfoot it off the line?
If it were me I would want to see exactly what the car can do but that means a rear end able to handle the abuse.

If you don't plan on wringing every bit of ET out of it then Bob is right on with the 12 bolt. My personal choice is Strange but Moser makes a good rear too.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

This car is not an all out race car. This car is more show than go, even though it could be the opposite. However, I'm trying to achieve a nice mix of the two with a new rear. I don't care about squeezing out another .1 in my ET, that will be another project car in the future. For now, this car is one that I can enter into a show, as well as school some people on the street/track when I get the itch.