Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

HD Posi or Tru Track??

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Posi or Tru Track??

OK, after research I've decided on Dana S60 b/c 3 channel. However, I need some clarification on the posi. What is standard on these rear ends? I read about the HD Posi and the Tru Track Posi (I believe both are available). Is one better than the other? My car is DD, will never exceed 500 RWHP, and I have M6. Any clarification is appreciated.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:11 AM
TECH Resident

tru-trak all the way!!!!
Old 05-18-2007, 04:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In a dana 60 power lock, the tru trac is a POS. I just put a strange hd in my car to replace my tru trac there was so much metal floating around I had to wash diff and replace gears.

Do yourself a favor and don't buy a tru trac it's like a 500.00$ disposable lighter.

I still have photos posted, I think i'll post up the new photos of shredded worm gears if I get a chance.

Can't control my ranting, if it wasn't for all the internet hype and BS I wouldn't have bought a true trac and I now am 1000.00 (abs ring install bearings) poorer because of it.

John
Old 05-18-2007, 08:23 AM
Internet Mechanic

My broken 12 bolt with a tru trac getting fixed next week, I am really interested in what part broke in her. You can call Strange, Moser, every company and they all say tru trac has it over the Eaton, but I severly question that
Old 05-18-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default hd

OK. but what's the difference b/w true trac and HD?
Old 05-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Internet Mechanic

Tru trac is a gear type posi and Eaton is a clutch type, the Tru Trac is NON-serviceable, if it breaks, its dead, Eaton is Serviceable.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Before I bought my trutrac all the people I spoke to at moser and trutrac tech told me how fantastic it would be, trutrac tech (now eaton same guy) told me I would break everything else before their super diff would break.

When it broke they forgot all the BS they threw at me.

I should have listened to tech at strange, told me to get a hd for my 12 bolt or even better sell my 12 bolt buy s60 with a power lock posi NOT A TRU CRAP.

John
Old 05-25-2007, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Wow, all these negative comments about the trutrac are making me nervous. I broke 3 stock torsen carriers in my 10 bolt before installing the tru-trac. I've beat the holy hell outta my trutrac and it hasn't complained one bit. Also the torque bias with the trutrac is awesome, and it's completely transparent on turns.

I guess when my tru-trac breaks, I'll be buying a 12 bolt.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by turbotko
Wow, all these negative comments about the trutrac are making me nervous. I broke 3 stock torsen carriers in my 10 bolt before installing the tru-trac. I've beat the holy hell outta my trutrac and it hasn't complained one bit. Also the torque bias with the trutrac is awesome, and it's completely transparent on turns.

I guess when my tru-trac breaks, I'll be buying a 12 bolt.
Your level of mods on a street tire you shouldn't break it, as a stock replacement it probably OK as would be an aubern pro or hd zexel.

The problem is the trutrac being promoted as a replacement for a locker or a spool, it isn't.

when I bought my tru-crap the guys a moser told me they were running it in a 12 bolt 9 second car (probably 2500 pounds and auto) and tech told me I would not break it and my t56 would break first .

John