Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9" Aluminum Through-Bolt Cases.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 9" Aluminum Through-Bolt Cases.

Trying to decide.....

Nodular, S casting, aluminum through bolt, or....WHAT?

I like the idea of keeping it as light as possible, but are the aluminum through bolt cases strong enough? Are they susceptible to pinion deflection? How's gear wear in the aluminum case? Also, do the aluminum cases tend to be more noisy than the iron ones?

What else.....Do the aluminum 9" cases require grinding so that they clear the rear torque arm mount?

All I want is a rear that is an easy bolt-in, is durable, light-weight, quiet, and inexpensive. (OK, just kidding with the "inexpensive" part!)

?
Old 05-19-2007, 04:34 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

I probably got carried away here with too many pictures... We have not had a problem with the Moser aluminum cases, and the torque arm bolts right up without any modifications. Bob
Old 05-19-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought one from bob and so far I'm extremely happy with it. Just turned 60 street miles on it, and haven't had it at the track yet, but I can't hear any gear whine over the louder exhaust so I'm happy.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got the housing and axles 35 spline. i have the same questions cause i need a center section locker.

also i cant get anyone to get me prices?
Old 05-20-2007, 02:59 AM
TECH Addict

those looks familiar.nice and purdy.I like mine with nodular iron center section.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hear nothing but good things, I'll be home in about 1 week (in the desert) so I'll be ordering it from EPP. (BOB) here soon. I'll be ordering aliminum casing so I think you'll be alright .
Old 05-20-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
Trying to decide.....

I like the idea of keeping it as light as possible, but are the aluminum through bolt cases strong enough?

Are they susceptible to pinion deflection?

How's gear wear in the aluminum case?

Also, do the aluminum cases tend to be more noisy than the iron ones?
Strong enough? Yes... more than enough for anything that will be driven on the street.

Susceptable to flex? Uhm... I dont understand the mechanics of your question. But, the answer to this is no (with the exception of the "lightweight" cases for use in chassis 2500 lbs and under). The alloy cases have increases in thickness in the areas of question to combat any rigidity issues due to material.

Gear wear? Dont understand this question either. What makes you think it will wear more or less? The answer to this is... that there is/will be no difference... so, no.

Gear noise? What makes you think it will make more or less noise? The answer to this is as well... that there is/will be no difference... so, no.

I think it would be an excellent choice to use a thru bolt case... as long as it is a good thru bolt case. Some are better than others, but for street applications... all but the "lightweight" cases will do just fine.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chicane
Strong enough? Yes... more than enough for anything that will be driven on the street.:
Overkill is something I'll live with on the street, but it will see some evil forces when I drag race. It's going on a HC M6 car, pretty much full weight, sticky tire, maybe some nitrous eventually.

Susceptable to flex? Uhm... I dont understand the mechanics of your question. But, the answer to this is no (with the exception of the "lightweight" cases for use in chassis 2500 lbs and under). The alloy cases have increases in thickness in the areas of question to combat any rigidity issues due to material.
....sorry, I should have said ring gear deflection.

from Moser's website: "Moser Aluminum Cases are made of 356-T6 aluminum with 7075-T6 aluminum caps and billet steel adjusters, and they feature a super strong through-bolt design to give the case increased strength and decreased ring gear deflection common in most aluminum case designs."

Gear wear? Dont understand this question either. What makes you think it will wear more or less? The answer to this is... that there is/will be no difference... so, no.
I was concerned after reading this on Strange's site....

"Strange lightweight aluminum case is for applications where weight is crucial and gear set life is not a issue."

Gear noise? What makes you think it will make more or less noise? The answer to this is as well... that there is/will be no difference... so, no.
It might be just my imagination but it seems that "things" with aluminum cases or aluminum blocks emit more mechanical noise than their iron counterpart. Iron is much more dense <shrug>.

I think it would be an excellent choice to use a thru bolt case... as long as it is a good thru bolt case. Some are better than others, but for street applications... all but the "lightweight" cases will do just fine.

Agreed. I'll stay away form the light weight cases. Thanks for your input!

Still lots of choices out there...Currie, Mark Williams, Moser, Ford Motorsport, Strange...what to do

Last edited by ShevrolayZ28; 05-21-2007 at 01:26 AM.

Quick Reply: 9" Aluminum Through-Bolt Cases.